Demographics of Atheism and Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2015, 09:17 AM
RE: Demographics of Atheism and Religion
I'm very lucky to live in Oregon. Many people I know are agnostic or atheist but Portland has it's fair amount of Portlandia like nuts who believe in other kinds of woo. At least the wacky woo types don't try to convert others or threaten them with hell though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2015, 09:35 AM
I'm in ar yep right in the middle of religious area. It's hard here because it doesn't matter what u say or do people seem to think science is stupid and u are stupid for believing science. And evolution is hardly taught in schools as if it's a religion and not science.
03-02-2015, 09:48 AM
(03-02-2015 09:17 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I'd love to see that same map for the entire globe. I just looked up the poll numbers for Canada and, unsurprisingly, it comes in on the less to least religious side.

Here you go:

[Image: Gallup_Religiosity_Index_2009.png]

Lighter = more religious, darker = less religious.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_...by_country. There are a couple of other graphs there, taken from different studies.
03-02-2015, 10:10 AM
(03-02-2015 09:48 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 09:17 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I'd love to see that same map for the entire globe. I just looked up the poll numbers for Canada and, unsurprisingly, it comes in on the less to least religious side.

Here you go:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_...by_country. There are a couple of other graphs there, taken from different studies.

What's that little dark spot down in South America? Is that the beach at Rio?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Probably tribes that forbid the white mans bs.
03-02-2015, 10:43 AM
(02-02-2015 09:38 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I find it a somewhat fascinating subject I would like to look into more someday, The demographics of the displacement of religion and atheism.

From this map, I find it quite funny that the majority of Atheists in America are from the states that are not only the furthest away from the bible belt possible, but furthest the hell away from everybody else as well!

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...e-country/

[Image: map.jpg]

How does the demographics of where you live and other atheists you know life in relation to where the religious are? Do you find yourself smothered in like minded people, is there a big stretch of a mass of religious and it gets less and less religious until it arrives where you live in whatever city your from? Or, are you smack dab in the middle of fundi land?

Also, which religions are most prevalent in your area and how much influence over the area does it have? Example would be bill boards, constant large gatherings etc.

It's cold today where I am... based on this map, I can see a correlation between beautiful weather and praising God.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2015, 07:25 AM
(03-02-2015 10:10 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 09:48 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Here you go:

What's that little dark spot down in South America? Is that the beach at Rio?

Uruguay.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-02-2015, 07:26 AM
(03-02-2015 10:43 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 09:38 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I find it a somewhat fascinating subject I would like to look into more someday, The demographics of the displacement of religion and atheism.

From this map, I find it quite funny that the majority of Atheists in America are from the states that are not only the furthest away from the bible belt possible, but furthest the hell away from everybody else as well!

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...e-country/

[Image: map.jpg]

How does the demographics of where you live and other atheists you know life in relation to where the religious are? Do you find yourself smothered in like minded people, is there a big stretch of a mass of religious and it gets less and less religious until it arrives where you live in whatever city your from? Or, are you smack dab in the middle of fundi land?

Also, which religions are most prevalent in your area and how much influence over the area does it have? Example would be bill boards, constant large gatherings etc.

It's cold today where I am... based on this map, I can see a correlation between beautiful weather and praising God.

You are hilariously insane. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-02-2015, 10:40 AM
(04-02-2015 07:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 10:43 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It's cold today where I am... based on this map, I can see a correlation between beautiful weather and praising God.

You are hilariously insane. Drinking Beverage

May I correct that to hilariously facetious and witty? Weather is just one reason to which we can add:

*poor people pray more than the wealthy
*college-educated people are more likely to be atheists, "thanks" to modern secularization including education
*Europe is primary in prophecy as a haven for anti-Christ sentiment in the end of days
*God hates Russkies and New York liberals (See how funny I am? This last one is pure parody worthy of any Poe)

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
04-02-2015, 01:05 PM
[*college-educated people are more likely to be atheists, "thanks" to modern secularization including education]

While I do not know all my students' faiths, I do know from looking at their diversity, that they are not all christians. This is why if I had led my class in prayers this morning, I would have been very much aware that I would have excluded some students. This is why we have separation of church and state, which is over 200 years old (hardly "modern"). While I, a state university employee can not promote one religion, students, however, are free to pray on their own (which, bty the bible says you should do), organize their own religious clubs, associate with like-minded students, text each other bible verses to their hearts content and go to church all they want. I did loose my religion in college, but I doubt, that saying prayers before a lecture on the Diels-Alder reaction would have stopped me from loosing it.