Demographics of Atheism and Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2015, 08:38 AM
RE: Demographics of Atheism and Religion
I'm about 15 minutes North or the Oklahoma/Texas border where people believe in Jesus yet drink, swear, cheat and do drugs as if the Bible commanded it. Where they share a Jesus link Facebook and send a nude picture to someone other than their spouse, all in the same swipe of their smart phone.

And its a place where, when I tell someone I'm atheist, they look at me in utter disbelief and say "No you're not!".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2015, 03:16 PM
(04-02-2015 01:05 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  [*college-educated people are more likely to be atheists, "thanks" to modern secularization including education]

While I do not know all my students' faiths, I do know from looking at their diversity, that they are not all christians. This is why if I had led my class in prayers this morning, I would have been very much aware that I would have excluded some students. This is why we have separation of church and state, which is over 200 years old (hardly "modern"). While I, a state university employee can not promote one religion, students, however, are free to pray on their own (which, bty the bible says you should do), organize their own religious clubs, associate with like-minded students, text each other bible verses to their hearts content and go to church all they want. I did loose my religion in college, but I doubt, that saying prayers before a lecture on the Diels-Alder reaction would have stopped me from loosing it.

But it might stop you from gaining tenure as a faculty member!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2015, 03:18 PM
(05-02-2015 08:38 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I'm about 15 minutes North or the Oklahoma/Texas border where people believe in Jesus yet drink, swear, cheat and do drugs as if the Bible commanded it. Where they share a Jesus link Facebook and send a nude picture to someone other than their spouse, all in the same swipe of their smart phone.

And its a place where, when I tell someone I'm atheist, they look at me in utter disbelief and say "No you're not!".

Are you saying places like New York and L.A. are havens of peaceable citizens with low drug and alcohol abuse and etc.?

Or are you saying you look at red and blue maps to determine who is a real Christian? (Of course, you aren't, because you see how the Bible condemns the behavior the Southerners condone!)

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
05-02-2015, 04:05 PM
(05-02-2015 03:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 08:38 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I'm about 15 minutes North or the Oklahoma/Texas border where people believe in Jesus yet drink, swear, cheat and do drugs as if the Bible commanded it. Where they share a Jesus link Facebook and send a nude picture to someone other than their spouse, all in the same swipe of their smart phone.

Are you saying places like New York and L.A. are havens of peaceable citizens with low drug and alcohol abuse and etc.?

Or are you saying you look at red and blue maps to determine who is a real Christian? (Of course, you aren't, because you see how the Bible condemns the behavior the Southerners condone!)

They don't "condone" it. They're just flat out hypocrites.Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
05-02-2015, 11:14 PM
Bucky nailed it. Just pointing out that they're hypocrites here too.
06-02-2015, 12:52 PM
A pastor, who often invited his neighbor to hear his church sermons, asked again one Sunday morning as he entered his car.

"Pastor, your church is filled with hypocrites!" said the man.

"Fortunately, we have a spare seat for one more," said the pastor.