Demon possession on youtube

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Demon possession on youtube
Hey yeah. I watched a video recently By the youtuber Mathew Santoro. Its called 10 terrifying cases of demonic possesission. When I hear of these sort of things I never belief themDodgy and many of his videos are often pseudoscientic but most a decent. Nevertheless I wish to hear your thought on the video.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2017, 11:19 AM
RE: Demon possession on youtube
If you're going to ask what we thought about a particular video, it might help if you provide a link.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
08-02-2017, 11:45 AM
yeah good idea imm very lazy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmyffl8OqV0
08-02-2017, 12:26 PM
I just can't watch stuff like this and take it seriously. Why attribute to demons what is likely attributable to more natural causes? Brain function is becoming better and better understood. As that happens, supernatural explanations for stuff like this will continue to fade. Especially as treatments become more effective and available.

Take his #4, Anneliese Michel, who was known to an unspecified mental illness and epilepsy. Yet, she and her family became convinced that she was possessed by demons and pushed for an exorcism to be performed. Sixty-seven exorcisms were performed over a 10 month period! At what point do you have to decide that your god is just not strong enough to fix this? Medicine might not have been effective enough yet, or it might have been a bad diagnosis and improper treatment- but certainly you have to give up on the exorcism at some point, right? Early on during the 10 month period she stopped eating, and later died of malnutrition and dehydration. Wikipedia had this to say about the result:

"After her death, Michel's parents and the two priests were found guilty of negligent homicide, and were sentenced to six months in jail (reduced to three years of probation), and a fine. The Catholic church changed its position stating she was mentally ill, not possessed. The case has been cited as an example of a misidentified mental disorder, negligence, abuse and religious hysteria."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anneliese_Michel

That's the only one I'm going to bother researching. I think probably all cases of "demonic possession" can be attributed to similar circumstance. Natural causes, rather than supernatural causes. Maybe we can't explain all of the natural causes just yet? I think in all cases we can get close enough to the natural cause to say that it's not unnatural.
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
08-02-2017, 12:32 PM
I spent a lot of time awhile back looking at a whole bunch of demon possession videos. They are hypnosis and power of suggestion trickery. Illusionists and snake-oil salesmen. It especially works on the susceptible folks. The same as the power of healing videos. Besides the sad bit, it is equally entertaining as a magic show in Vegas. All the show!
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
08-02-2017, 12:32 PM
(08-02-2017 11:09 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  Hey yeah. I watched a video recently By the youtuber Mathew Santoro. Its called 10 terrifying cases of demonic possesission. When I hear of these sort of things I never belief themDodgy and many of his videos are often pseudoscientic but most a decent. Nevertheless I wish to hear your thought on the video.

People are nuts. Sometimes they genuinely believe that they are being possessed. Sometimes they genuinely believe that there is a supernatural element at work and because they convince themselves it is real, they become convinced of it. It is the same sort of crap with "spiritual healing" where people are supposedly cured of their ills from a "laying on of the hands." They believe they are really healing and being healed, but that is where it ends because they aren't actually doing anything.

Then you have the explicit charlatans and frauds who are just scamming people. Like the duo (wife and husband: Ed and Lorraine Warren) who wrote the story that formed the basis for movies like "The Haunting in Connecticut." The "based on a true story" or "based on real events" really brings out the fool and their money. And you know what they say about a fool and their money...

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
08-02-2017, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2017 01:54 PM by jennybee.)
I agree with previous posts. Scams and using religious brainwashing to make people think they are possessed by demons/devil, etc. Additionally, some people may have a mental illness that makes them think they are possessed by evil forces due to the power of suggestion and societal conditioning through religious dogma and stories. However, in reality, these "possessions" are due to explainable things like hallucinations, delusions, brain chemistry and so on.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Exorcism: The magical belief that God AllMighty needs your help to drive out demons. If you don't believe hard enough then God just leaves them in.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
08-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Ever notice that atheists never get possessed?
08-02-2017, 05:23 PM
(08-02-2017 04:43 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Ever notice that atheists never get possessed?

Oh, don't be silly, we're already Satan's minions. Demonic possession would be redundant. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Chas's post