Demonic Pocession

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Demonic Pocession
Hey everyone, I joined TTA Forum in hopes that you all can help.

I am a new deconvert. Was a born again southern baptist christian for 30 years. I have told my family, left bread crumbs in my social media, but I haven't announced anything. If people ask, I am comfortable in telling that I no longer believe. Thing is, when you are a christian for most of your life, no one asks..they assume you still are.

My mom and dad are having a horrible time with it. I need information, please.

My mom became a christian because she was being attacked by a demon. He was trying to kill her. And to be honest, it kept me a christian for a long time.

Once I left my faith, I started to look into other explanations. The other day she messaged me and the path went to, "Do I believe she made up the whole story and is she a liar" I told her that I felt the behavior was her body reacting to years of drug addiction. She was so afraid and trusted her friend doctor so much that anything he said, she would believe. Basically, Placebo effect. I said there are studies of people taking placebo pills and being healed of things. She was VERY upset.

Days have gone by. She has given me more details of that day. How do I explain (even if it is to myself) what was going on that day? She is not schizophrenic or clinically insane. She does suffer from depression and was addicted to Quaaludes. BUT, she was at work when this behavior started and from what she says, what not high at that moment.

She said weird things happened around our house, lights and water turning off and on. Noises and physical manifestations of people, she said she has seen demons and hell. That day she was drooling and could not hold her head straight, at times she was blind, she was in horrible pain, felt like her insides were being ripped apart, her head was turned the wrong way. She said it was not a seizure because she could communicate and was aware of what was going on. The doctor talked to her and found out she had given her life to the devil. He said what she is going through is not physical but spiritual. He brought out the bible and she went crazy. She started growling. She had to almost sit backwards so she could see him because of her twisted neck. He started reading the bible and praying for her. She called out Jesus. Right then all the pain and EVERYTHING stopped. She fell to the ground and he led her to the lord and said the holy spirit is in her and the demons can not enter her again. She has not had anything like that again.

So, what happened? I feel that I can explain so much, but how do I explain this? Did her brain heal itself because she believed in a devil, so saying Jesus was enough for her brain to stop the body from contorting? She feels the devil has always wanted her kids. That he is getting me a different way than how he was trying to get her. He is using my logical thinking to get me. A part of me thinks that is foolish. But obviously growing up believing in demons, there is that slight doubt...am I being tricked by the master deceiver.

I promise this is not a joke question. I know it seems so far fetched. But this is far beyond what I can rationally explain. Thank you!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2016, 07:25 PM
RE: Demonic Pocession
(19-03-2016 04:47 PM)SallyBr0wn Wrote:  Hey everyone, I joined TTA Forum in hopes that you all can help.

I am a new deconvert. Was a born again southern baptist christian for 30 years. I have told my family, left bread crumbs in my social media, but I haven't announced anything. If people ask, I am comfortable in telling that I no longer believe. Thing is, when you are a christian for most of your life, no one asks..they assume you still are.

My mom and dad are having a horrible time with it. I need information, please.

My mom became a christian because she was being attacked by a demon. He was trying to kill her. And to be honest, it kept me a christian for a long time.

Once I left my faith, I started to look into other explanations. The other day she messaged me and the path went to, "Do I believe she made up the whole story and is she a liar" I told her that I felt the behavior was her body reacting to years of drug addiction. She was so afraid and trusted her friend doctor so much that anything he said, she would believe. Basically, Placebo effect. I said there are studies of people taking placebo pills and being healed of things. She was VERY upset.

Days have gone by. She has given me more details of that day. How do I explain (even if it is to myself) what was going on that day? She is not schizophrenic or clinically insane. She does suffer from depression and was addicted to Quaaludes. BUT, she was at work when this behavior started and from what she says, what not high at that moment.

She said weird things happened around our house, lights and water turning off and on. Noises and physical manifestations of people, she said she has seen demons and hell. That day she was drooling and could not hold her head straight, at times she was blind, she was in horrible pain, felt like her insides were being ripped apart, her head was turned the wrong way. She said it was not a seizure because she could communicate and was aware of what was going on. The doctor talked to her and found out she had given her life to the devil. He said what she is going through is not physical but spiritual. He brought out the bible and she went crazy. She started growling. She had to almost sit backwards so she could see him because of her twisted neck. He started reading the bible and praying for her. She called out Jesus. Right then all the pain and EVERYTHING stopped. She fell to the ground and he led her to the lord and said the holy spirit is in her and the demons can not enter her again. She has not had anything like that again.

So, what happened? I feel that I can explain so much, but how do I explain this? Did her brain heal itself because she believed in a devil, so saying Jesus was enough for her brain to stop the body from contorting? She feels the devil has always wanted her kids. That he is getting me a different way than how he was trying to get her. He is using my logical thinking to get me. A part of me thinks that is foolish. But obviously growing up believing in demons, there is that slight doubt...am I being tricked by the master deceiver.

I promise this is not a joke question. I know it seems so far fetched. But this is far beyond what I can rationally explain. Thank you!!

I actually wanted to ask something similar. As I am completely new. I was never possessed but I dealt with a lady who "was"
She stayed with my mom. I was in the kitchen late doing bible study and she walked in and the lights flickered. My story is very small compared to yours. My preacher advised me to cleanse the house and I did. The thing was.. Nothing felt different when I did.
She actually dated my preachers cousin and her exorcism was a popular story. Similar to what you mentioned. She thrashed around, yelled, attacked, had convulsions.

I wanted to ask what the athiest take on this was too.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
19-03-2016, 07:27 PM
I don't know what sort of delusional phase she had, I am not a psychiatrist.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-03-2016, 07:28 PM
She has a fevered imagination.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
19-03-2016, 08:08 PM
It sounds like she had a serious addiction, an active imagination, a possible seizure, and a very bad doctor.
[+] 8 users Like pablo's post
19-03-2016, 08:13 PM
(19-03-2016 08:08 PM)pablo Wrote:  It sounds like she had a serious addiction, an active imagination, a possible seizure, and a very bad doctor.

Which aren't things that I can tell her. I guess I need to know how did those symptoms go away immediately. Am I right, it was a form of placebo effect?
19-03-2016, 08:16 PM
The brain is a funny thing. We still don't understand it. Here's a bit of history.

I once had a bad reaction to some medication and had to be brought to emergency. I have vivid memories of seeing things that I rationally know (and knew then) weren't real. I'm very sure my mother's skin didn't turn green, crackle (with dust falling out), and break apart. I am sure I didn't hear her thoughts or hear demons, although at the time I wondered if either I did or if I was going insane. The lady at the hospital did not have one eye that was four feet tall and lips that were the size of a child's pool. But... I definitely experienced those things, and they're permanently etched in my memory.

Memory is strange, too. I remember things that as an adult I know didn't happen. When I was five, I feared the outdoor steps we had on our playground. I remember it very well. It was at least three stories tall. Years later when I visited, I noticed they were only five feet high. I can't remember them that way from my childhood memories. I had to plunge those three floors, hoping I wouldn't die when I landed. My adult memory is being taller than those steps. Again, same item, but two vastly different memories. Both are real. Or at least from my perspective they're both real.

How often do you wait for a traffic light and are sure you're waiting for at least ten minutes for green? But now you remember it, and it didn't seem that long. When we look back, time sometimes shrinks. Waiting for a girlfriend to get ready felt like it took her three days to get ready to go out. It was probably ten minutes. But I swear it felt like sometimes the sun set twice before she got dressed.

Your mother may be lying. I don't know her, so I can't say for sure. She may have convinced herself of these things. I'm doubting that it happened exactly the way she said. In summary, don't worry. You won't be able to explain it away. She either can't or won't say exactly what happened.
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
20-03-2016, 12:45 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2016 12:48 AM by jennybee.)
The power of suggestion is a very real thing. You can trick your brain into believing anything. There are many potential reasons for what happened re: your mom. Like others have mentioned, she could have made it up, it could have been drug induced, she could suffer from a mental illness, she could have been severely sleep deprived, etc. etc. It could also have been the power of suggestion, her believing in devils and demons, and her brain and body and possibly anxiety and panic attacks at reacting to the idea of them. Additionally, even though your mom said she wasn't high at the time, some drugs take awhile to fully leave your system. So even though she said she hadn't taken anything recently, the drug could have still been in her system and produced a reaction.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-03-2016, 01:25 AM
The bad guys of the story don't exist, either.

People make stuff up and then become invested in it. They start out sorta knowing it's made-up, but doubt leaves when one has a comforting belief system where the beliefs depend on eachother being true. She's 'sort-of' sure that it happened, but way less so than she is in knowing what she ate for breakfast today. She's lying to both you and herself.

Hail Satan.
20-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Clockwork nailed it, but let's give your mother the benefit of the doubt and assume that she is a very rational, sane woman who is not lying to you about her experience. Rather, she is only mistaken about the cause and significance of a very real mental episode.

Perhaps you can do some research on demonic possessions and see how many people from different cultures report similar possessions. As a Jew, I'm most familiar with my own culture. We don't ever have instances of demonic possessions (or possessions of any kind) because we don't happen to believe in any of that. I also note Atheists don't ever seem to be on the receiving end of demonic possession.

It just seems that the only people who experience this are the people who already believe in this stuff (and who happen to be overwhelming Christian). Maybe you can make a case to your mother that her experience was a logical and understandable result of her culture and the things she's been told by her church. Then you can say that people outside of this culture don't experience such horror, and that you'd like to change your culture to avoid such a terrifying experience.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post