Demonic Pocession

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2016, 09:43 AM
RE: Demonic Pocession
(20-03-2016 09:21 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Clockwork nailed it, but let's give your mother the benefit of the doubt and assume that she is a very rational, sane woman who is not lying to you about her experience. Rather, she is only mistaken about the cause and significance of a very real mental episode.

Perhaps you can do some research on demonic possessions and see how many people from different cultures report similar possessions. As a Jew, I'm most familiar with my own culture. We don't ever have instances of demonic possessions (or possessions of any kind) because we don't happen to believe in any of that. I also note Atheists don't ever seem to be on the receiving end of demonic possession.

It just seems that the only people who experience this are the people who already believe in this stuff (and who happen to be overwhelming Christian). Maybe you can make a case to your mother that her experience was a logical and understandable result of her culture and the things she's been told by her church. Then you can say that people outside of this culture don't experience such horror, and that you'd like to change your culture to avoid such a terrifying experience.

I've been looking up if other religions deal with demon procession...I can't find any. Sadly, she won't listen to any rational explanation and gets hurt when I suggest them. BTW, I never just say it, I only answer when she asks. My mom will live the rest of her life believing the devil has fooled me and I'm going to hell. I just think that's such a sad way to live.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2016, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2016 09:49 AM by jennybee.)
I'm sorry about your mom, but some people insist on living in delusion. To add to all of that, there are demons in the Bible. People are brainwashed to believe the Bible is real and fool themselves into having "religious" experiences. Once you drink the kool aid, anything is possible. It can be really hard to have a rational conversation with some people who believe in magic and live in woo territory. That said, some people are able to balance religion and logical thinking, but for others, imo, they cannot and those people easily succumb to magical thinking.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-03-2016, 09:57 AM
The very fact that I could break free from this "demonic belief" should show that anyone can. I was raised in a home that believed in demonic activity. Supposedly I saw things as a small child. I was told that the devil wanted her children because she got away. If your eye caught a strange dark image.. It was a demon. I didn't EVER play with an ouija board because that was opening the door to the demons.

I won't lie, some things do stick to you... Lol.. I won't touch an ouija board even tho I do not believe in demons. I was hoping to find an explanation to her sudden healing. I think the best explanation is the power of suggestion.
[+] 1 user Likes SallyBr0wn's post
20-03-2016, 10:13 AM
It's definitely possible to break free. But you have to want to do it. If they want to stay in delusion and magical thinking, it is very hard to rationalize with people like that.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-03-2016, 10:15 AM
I don't think they understand how freeing it is!!
20-03-2016, 10:42 AM
(19-03-2016 04:47 PM)SallyBr0wn Wrote:  Hey everyone, I joined TTA Forum in hopes that you all can help.

I am a new deconvert. Was a born again southern baptist christian for 30 years. I have told my family, left bread crumbs in my social media, but I haven't announced anything. If people ask, I am comfortable in telling that I no longer believe. Thing is, when you are a christian for most of your life, no one asks..they assume you still are.

My mom and dad are having a horrible time with it. I need information, please.

My mom became a christian because she was being attacked by a demon. He was trying to kill her. And to be honest, it kept me a christian for a long time.

Once I left my faith, I started to look into other explanations. The other day she messaged me and the path went to, "Do I believe she made up the whole story and is she a liar" I told her that I felt the behavior was her body reacting to years of drug addiction. She was so afraid and trusted her friend doctor so much that anything he said, she would believe. Basically, Placebo effect. I said there are studies of people taking placebo pills and being healed of things. She was VERY upset.

Days have gone by. She has given me more details of that day. How do I explain (even if it is to myself) what was going on that day? She is not schizophrenic or clinically insane. She does suffer from depression and was addicted to Quaaludes. BUT, she was at work when this behavior started and from what she says, what not high at that moment.

She said weird things happened around our house, lights and water turning off and on. Noises and physical manifestations of people, she said she has seen demons and hell. That day she was drooling and could not hold her head straight, at times she was blind, she was in horrible pain, felt like her insides were being ripped apart, her head was turned the wrong way. She said it was not a seizure because she could communicate and was aware of what was going on. The doctor talked to her and found out she had given her life to the devil. He said what she is going through is not physical but spiritual. He brought out the bible and she went crazy. She started growling. She had to almost sit backwards so she could see him because of her twisted neck. He started reading the bible and praying for her. She called out Jesus. Right then all the pain and EVERYTHING stopped. She fell to the ground and he led her to the lord and said the holy spirit is in her and the demons can not enter her again. She has not had anything like that again.

So, what happened? I feel that I can explain so much, but how do I explain this? Did her brain heal itself because she believed in a devil, so saying Jesus was enough for her brain to stop the body from contorting? She feels the devil has always wanted her kids. That he is getting me a different way than how he was trying to get her. He is using my logical thinking to get me. A part of me thinks that is foolish. But obviously growing up believing in demons, there is that slight doubt...am I being tricked by the master deceiver.

I promise this is not a joke question. I know it seems so far fetched. But this is far beyond what I can rationally explain. Thank you!!

There is no such thing as the super natural. You combine drugs or mental illness to a exposure to delusions, it compounds the lack of understanding of the reality of how easily we fall for our own false perceptions. Even people without mental illness or drug addictions don't understand how we evolved with notoriously false perceptions.

Having an "experience" does not mean you understand the natural reason of what you think you see. You can have a real physical reaction to a false perception. Much like when you go to a Halloween haunted house and someone in a zombie costume jumps out at you. In that setting you are aware of your reaction.

But with scary events humans gap fill and if they are exposed to scary stories prior that "experience" when that traumatic event happens they gap fill without any concept of what is really going on.

Our species gap fills, for the same reason one can walk into a clean glass door. You'r brain tells you it is open but your eyes ignore that it isn't. Our brains gap fill tons of times a day and most of the time we don't realize we are doing it.

There are no devils or spirits or demons. There is just a human misunderstanding of how our brains can easily fool us. Combine that with drugs or mental illness it gets compounded even worse.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
20-03-2016, 03:23 PM
(19-03-2016 08:13 PM)SallyBr0wn Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 08:08 PM)pablo Wrote:  It sounds like she had a serious addiction, an active imagination, a possible seizure, and a very bad doctor.

Which aren't things that I can tell her. I guess I need to know how did those symptoms go away immediately. Am I right, it was a form of placebo effect?
You should ask the Q about demonic processions. He is the expert and detected some thinking atheist members with demons.Yes The Q claims to have large conversations with Jesus everyday.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
20-03-2016, 08:03 PM
I would try and continue to try to get her to counseling.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
23-03-2016, 10:43 AM
I have an online friend (all my atheist friends are online only) and her specialty is issues with the brain.

From what I have read from the materials that she sent to me, it was a seizure. I watched a seizure that is similar to what my mom described. There are things that can happen before a seizure or a migraine (my mom used to get migraines) that are similar to what my mom was going through. And at the moment that she could finally speak and say Jesus, her seizure was done.

The good...my mom believed god saved her. Jesus loved her and was with her. That gave her the strength to quit the lifestyle she was on. She would be dead by now if she stayed on that path.

The bad...it led my mom to believe in the supernatural world. She taught it to us. She believes in hell and demons. She believes she has seen them. She believes they are after her kids. She believes they are tricking me. She will live the rest of her life thinking her only daughter is going to burn in hell for all of eternity.

Thank you for all of your responses. I am reading some books on the origin of satan. If any of you have books you feel would help, please post!! Smile
23-03-2016, 01:15 PM
I need to find a video I watched with a Vatican Cardinal. He admitted that the exorcisms he's seen were all the result of severe mental illness, and that he had never experienced an actual demon. He said that in the mind of the patient, they believed they were possessed, and that's why the exorcisms worked. Basically, it is a powerful placebo that only works for believers (but then, only believers are possessed) and that it gives them enough willpower to seek help.

So for now don't take my word that the video is real. I'll have to ask around or do more searching.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post