Demonic Pocession

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 04:21 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
RE: Demonic Pocession
(19-03-2016 04:47 PM)SallyBr0wn Wrote:  Hey everyone, I joined TTA Forum in hopes that you all can help.

I am a new deconvert. Was a born again southern baptist christian for 30 years. I have told my family, left bread crumbs in my social media, but I haven't announced anything. If people ask, I am comfortable in telling that I no longer believe. Thing is, when you are a christian for most of your life, no one asks..they assume you still are.

My mom and dad are having a horrible time with it. I need information, please.

My mom became a christian because she was being attacked by a demon. He was trying to kill her. And to be honest, it kept me a christian for a long time.

Once I left my faith, I started to look into other explanations. The other day she messaged me and the path went to, "Do I believe she made up the whole story and is she a liar" I told her that I felt the behavior was her body reacting to years of drug addiction. She was so afraid and trusted her friend doctor so much that anything he said, she would believe. Basically, Placebo effect. I said there are studies of people taking placebo pills and being healed of things. She was VERY upset.

Days have gone by. She has given me more details of that day. How do I explain (even if it is to myself) what was going on that day? She is not schizophrenic or clinically insane. She does suffer from depression and was addicted to Quaaludes. BUT, she was at work when this behavior started and from what she says, what not high at that moment.

She said weird things happened around our house, lights and water turning off and on. Noises and physical manifestations of people, she said she has seen demons and hell. That day she was drooling and could not hold her head straight, at times she was blind, she was in horrible pain, felt like her insides were being ripped apart, her head was turned the wrong way. She said it was not a seizure because she could communicate and was aware of what was going on. The doctor talked to her and found out she had given her life to the devil. He said what she is going through is not physical but spiritual. He brought out the bible and she went crazy. She started growling. She had to almost sit backwards so she could see him because of her twisted neck. He started reading the bible and praying for her. She called out Jesus. Right then all the pain and EVERYTHING stopped. She fell to the ground and he led her to the lord and said the holy spirit is in her and the demons can not enter her again. She has not had anything like that again.

So, what happened? I feel that I can explain so much, but how do I explain this? Did her brain heal itself because she believed in a devil, so saying Jesus was enough for her brain to stop the body from contorting? She feels the devil has always wanted her kids. That he is getting me a different way than how he was trying to get her. He is using my logical thinking to get me. A part of me thinks that is foolish. But obviously growing up believing in demons, there is that slight doubt...am I being tricked by the master deceiver.

I promise this is not a joke question. I know it seems so far fetched. But this is far beyond what I can rationally explain. Thank you!!

First and foremost I am not a psychiatrist, psychologist, or a neurologist. I can not state with any degree of validity what your mother is/was experiencing. However, it is my opinion that the mind can do amazing things to make one think something is real. When I was dealing with long term sleep deprivation because of combat duty, I learned that for some reason if I didn't get sleep for over 3 days straight I would hallucinate and see a large, hand size spider moving extremely fast towards my face. I do not have arachnophobia, or even a problem with spiders. But since this has happened 5 times and always after prolonged sleep deprivation I can tell you one thing...the mind begins to unravel just by denying it sleep...if one has...maybe other imbalances....mental imprinting due to upbringing or experiences, chemical/hormonal issues etc....I would think one could hallucinate and see things that seem really real. Mass hallucination is another phenomenon.

I would also offer this...there is a huge difference between causation and correlation.

I usually explain personal experiences by creating analogies..

Lets say poor aunt Phyllis is in the hospital, and the docs say it doesn't look good, so the family gathers and urgent prayers are made...suddenly the next morning Aunt Phyllis makes a turn for the better, to the family, this is proof of god's intervention and answer to their prayers...no, actually it is chance and coincidence, but there is no way in the world you will be able to convince the family otherwise...they had a personal experience of god's power.....

or how about a man...who his whole life has been seeking the answer to life...why am I here, is there a god....he has been fighting inner doubt for a long time ....wondering...praying.....rejecting...then one day he is out hiking in the woods...being one with nature, and while looking at a beautiful natural waterfall he trips over a root, falls and hits his head and is knocked unconscious....he awakens and opens his eyes...and the angle is just right with the sun hitting the mist of the waterfall...and he sees a rainbow...suddenly he is overwhelmed with the beauty of it all and begins to cry....wrenching tears....a feeling of euphoria overcomes him..he sits up and begins to contemplate this experience, and it dawns on him...god has reached out to him...and touched his soul...he gasps, yes, it IS true...god is great, the love of Jesus fills his lungs with air, he is suddenly full of energy and joy...his life has purpose...he is suddenly invigorated, ready to strike out and learn more about god...he wasn't even looking, and god reached out to him...or did he.

Now, realize psychologically, what this man experienced can be explained ....repressed feelings, emotions, wonderment, overwhelmed with a visual experience and a physical experience...he hasn't experienced "god".....a mythical god didn't reach down and choose him out of the 7 billion people on earth and give him an experience so he could know him....he gave himself the experience....the neurons fired, and he is convinced he had a "personal experience"...no, he had an experience...and being unable to describe it or explain it he provided himself the answer......god.

Now rethink your mother's "personal experience"....really think it through..... I can paint dozens of analogies......usually around a self derived experience, or witness to a miracle....which is just a person providing himself/herself the answer that subconsciously they were trying to legitimize to themselves anyway. Sort of like...a self-fulfilled prophesy..seek something long enough, believe in something hard enough and you will find it, whether it is real or not. You stated she was depressive, and addicted to drugs....and yet, how odd she saw weird things around her house...she doesn't remember being high when they occurred...how accurate do you think her mind and recollection could be when it is clearly not working correctly, and dealing with long term exposure to drugs and depression....

I saw jesus standing at the foot of my bed with his right hand reaching out to me when I was about 11yo. I was deathly ill, double pneumonia, and only prayer to cure it..my mother (a Pentecostal preacher) has told this story to thousands. I remember it not. However, at the foot of my bed was a huge picture of jesus with his hand outreached towards the viewer...the last thing I saw before I went to bed was this picture, the first thing I saw upon waking was this picture, for years. The mental imprinting was most definitely in affect...little wonder in my delirium I saw "jesus at the foot of my bed"...

Things to ponder. I wish your mother well. In my experience, there is no real magic, only make believe magic, there are no gods, only gods created by men, and no demons, only the demons ones mind makes up based on ones experiences, physiological, neurological and psychological condition.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
23-03-2016, 04:13 PM
People who believe in Buddha have had visions of him and he's not even considered a god. Every faith around the world has stories of the faithful seeing Mohammad or one of the Hindu gods or whatever they believe is true. American Indians speak of hearing and seeing mountain spirits. My sister in law is a Canadian Indian (I forget which tribe) and she's seen all sorts of mythical Indian beings....and she was cold stone sober at the time.

The human imagination is an amazing aparatis. It's why we can spin stories and write books and create movies and games and cartoons and paint paintings and sculpt figures into marble and generally be creative. Our experiences can be embellished tenfold just in the retelling of the event, simply because of the powerful human imagination. Without the human imagination the Bible and every other holy book would never have been written. And when we are taught something is real and threatened with hell for not believing it the imagination easily runs with it. Doesn't make it true though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
23-03-2016, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 05:01 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Live and let live.
I have a demon. I don't pay him no never mind.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-03-2016, 07:35 PM
(23-03-2016 04:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Live and let live.
Tongue

How many demons do you have ?

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
23-03-2016, 08:34 PM
(23-03-2016 07:35 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 04:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Live and let live.
Tongue

How many demons do you have ?

Only one that I know of. Q told me. I suppose i could ask him.
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-03-2016, 10:46 PM
(19-03-2016 04:47 PM)SallyBr0wn Wrote:  She does suffer from depression and was addicted to Quaaludes.

Think you answered your own question here. Often times many people who suffer from serious depression can have visual and auditory hallucinations, similar to schizophrenia. Think of it is kind of the brain's way of trying to cope with this horrible psychological weight on it where it's being starved of the usual stimulation. I've seen it happen in depressed people. It's not typical for minor depression, but major depressive disorder or can sometimes manifest the symptoms.

This is only going to be heightened by the drug abuse as well. Quaaludes are a depressant and are only going to amplify the existing psychological problems that your mother has. Abuse of quaaludes are probably likely to alter her brain chemistry even further, exacerbating the problems regardless of whether she is high at the moment she experiences these delusions or not. So I'm not surprised that this woman is seeing demons. You would too if you were depressed to the point of suicide.

http://www.drugs.com/quaaludes.html

I'd say you need to get this woman to see a counselor and even a psychiatrist very soon. It also wouldn't hurt to make sure dangerous things like guns are not in her house where she can get at them. Don't take it the wrong way I'm not mocking this poor woman; in fact I only sympathize with her as she's in a lot of pain and needs help.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
23-03-2016, 11:47 PM
(20-03-2016 09:57 AM)SallyBr0wn Wrote:  The very fact that I could break free from this "demonic belief" should show that anyone can. I was raised in a home that believed in demonic activity. Supposedly I saw things as a small child. I was told that the devil wanted her children because she got away. If your eye caught a strange dark image.. It was a demon. I didn't EVER play with an ouija board because that was opening the door to the demons.

I won't lie, some things do stick to you... Lol.. I won't touch an ouija board even tho I do not believe in demons. I was hoping to find an explanation to her sudden healing. I think the best explanation is the power of suggestion.

Really.. While not as serious, I think I have something similar. Or had. Joining this site helped me a lot. But I was so convinced the world was ending (my greatest fear from religion)
I would see things in the sky, the train sounded like a trumpet, if a movie sounded a trumpet I would freeze and nearly pass out in fear, I shake uncontrollably, don't sleep, don't eat.
I fed the fear and allowed it to grow where I hallucinated. Now thanks to these people here, I have improved like 90%
Like you said some things stick, if I get scared I know I can come here for support.
While hers is way worse.. It's feeding the fear of losing you to the devil.
I hope for the best!
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
24-03-2016, 08:32 AM
I should have added to my original post, this happened over 30 years ago. She did see demons for a few years after that. I don't believe she has seen any for a long time.
24-03-2016, 09:49 AM
Well I can't really add any more then what has already been said. Other then personal stories.

I know a girl that was raped when she was young. By a boy she went on a date with pinned her down forced himself upon her just outside her house. It got worse after that as the mother of the rapist didn't know why the girl broke up with her son and went threw great lengths to getting them to date again. Saying how the boy absessed over her constantly. They had to file a restrainging order to keep him away.

That was the original story I was told. After the girl now a woman found out I was an atheist her story changed. She added to the story that an angel was present looking over her during the whole ordeal. She saw him manifest himself before her eyes.

My response was "Well I can't say that event didn't happen. But what I can say if I was there I would have prevented the event from happening and not just stood and gawked."

She changed the story because she felt it would compel me to believing. I know an angel wasn't present because the first time when she believed I was a believer, it wasn't an important detail. Even in heated arguments with her She's would agree with to anything the bible says because the bible dosn't lye. She's admitted to beliving in Unicorns, and talking snakes, Talking donkeys, Giants. But when religion isn't brought up on the table she rules those off as fantasy.

Walls are put in place to prevent believers from doubting. Don't question. Don't dig for answers. Just have faith that they are right.

Also with people that clam in demon possessions is often extremely close to people that clam to be possessed by the holy ghost.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
24-03-2016, 10:56 AM
(24-03-2016 08:32 AM)SallyBr0wn Wrote:  I should have added to my original post, this happened over 30 years ago. She did see demons for a few years after that. I don't believe she has seen any for a long time.

Did she suffer from bouts of depression as well as substance abuse in the years that followed as well?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade