Demonic Possession

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Demonic Possession
I have seen a few videos, of these "faith healers" encountering people of their congregation to cast out demons of various individuals. They convulse, speak in harsh guttural tones fall to the floor. Sure, you can plainly see that most of these people are playing the part but no, sometimes they seem so serious, so inraptured of their delusions. At first i laugh, see them flailing about one big joke right? Then the more I watch I feel sorry for them, pity them. What could have led to this point? The desire to please the preacher, to show off such crude acting ability, or do they legitimately believe they are possessed and only this preacher can heal them.
No, I can't laugh at it now, its sad, something pathetic.
These demons, what are they? Well they very well aren't supernatural but they are apart of nature, your nature. Some described it to be a part of yourself that is denied or an aspect of your personality. A repression of something at your core. (starting to hit woo territory, hold on tight) Recently I saw a video of a man who was possessed by a gay demon. Now what if, this "manifestation" came about by repressing, denying this part of himself. Unable to accept this aspect of his life, very well may be brought about since he was a christian man, a faith that doesn't exactly take kindly to homsexuals. There are of course other demons of various types. Hostility, anger, greed, and other not necessarily negative qualities. Of course, they very well could be acting or have various disorders but something to think about to say the least.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2013, 12:26 AM
RE: Demonic Possession
Whenever former believers talk about speaking in tongues, they describe it as a genuine sensation which overcomes them as their brains explode with all sorts of hormones and chemicals; causing them to become lost in the experience of speaking nonsense and flailing around.

I have no doubt such psychological mechanisms can work for other things as well; such as becoming lost in a genuine sensation that a demon has taken over your body and is manifesting itself at the command of a priest.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Demonic Possession
I'm sure that some people genuinely get lost in a hormonal emotional rapture. And they think it's supernatural. For me, I was faking speaking in tongues every time I did it.
28-10-2013, 02:03 AM
(28-10-2013 12:44 AM)onedream Wrote:  I'm sure that some people genuinely get lost in a hormonal emotional rapture. And they think it's supernatural. For me, I was faking speaking in tongues every time I did it.

Everytime you did? What do you mean? Have a "hormonal emotional rapture"? How frequently does that happen for you, exactly? Shocking

As to the being possessed by a demon:
I think to think malevolent demons and ghosts exist is utterly contradictory to a loving god. I mean, alright, god has created all the horrible diseases that kill us in the most horrendous ways. But we can try to overcome that challange by science. But why would a loving god allow the existence of supernatural malevolent beings? That is just contradictory.

But religion always contradict itself, doesn't it?

Anyway, I think these people that fake to be possessed either have a mental disorder or they are desperately seeking attention. Maybe both. And they are very delusional...

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
28-10-2013, 03:03 AM
I'm possessed by an angel. Big Grin

Yep. Repression, chemicals in the brain. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-10-2013, 06:55 AM
(28-10-2013 02:03 AM)Youkay Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 12:44 AM)onedream Wrote:  I'm sure that some people genuinely get lost in a hormonal emotional rapture. And they think it's supernatural. For me, I was faking speaking in tongues every time I did it.

Everytime you did? What do you mean? Have a "hormonal emotional rapture"? How frequently does that happen for you, exactly? Shocking

As to the being possessed by a demon:
I think to think malevolent demons and ghosts exist is utterly contradictory to a loving god. I mean, alright, god has created all the horrible diseases that kill us in the most horrendous ways. But we can try to overcome that challange by science. But why would a loving god allow the existence of supernatural malevolent beings? That is just contradictory.

But religion always contradict itself, doesn't it?

Anyway, I think these people that fake to be possessed either have a mental disorder or they are desperately seeking attention. Maybe both. And they are very delusional...
I wouldn't exactly say contradictory in a mythological sense. You have to have ultimate good versus ultimate evil. Which is strange since..god and satan seem to play both roles. Satan, or lucifer was once god's favorite angel and then lucifer defied god, some stories he refused to bow down to Adam and then his descent into hell. He vowed to turn people away from god. Now this might be church drivel, the phrase that "Satan's greatest trick ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist". Oh boy..atheist get a lot of flack from stuff like that from certain fundies. Also doubts aren't favored or even certain lines of questioning. Maybe a demon of questions and doubt?Tongue Why would god not destroy satan? It's a test of faith, right? lol

28-10-2013, 06:59 AM
Would it be to please the congregation or the priest? I know certain people who would do basically anything, if all eyes were on them they would do things they normally wouldn't due. My main reason to never fully trust anything in front of a cameraTongue

28-10-2013, 07:28 AM
(28-10-2013 02:03 AM)Youkay Wrote:  Anyway, I think these people that fake to be possessed either have a mental disorder or they are desperately seeking attention. Maybe both. And they are very delusional...

desperately seeking attention : I think this accounts for almost every , possession, miracle, and alien prostate exam.

"The Woman Who Wasn't There" this is a great story to show how people claim extraordinary experiences for attention more so than money.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
28-10-2013, 07:33 AM
(28-10-2013 07:28 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 02:03 AM)Youkay Wrote:  Anyway, I think these people that fake to be possessed either have a mental disorder or they are desperately seeking attention. Maybe both. And they are very delusional...

desperately seeking attention : I think this accounts for almost every , possession, miracle, and alien prostate exam.

"The Woman Who Wasn't There" this is a great story to show how people claim extraordinary experiences for attention more so than money.
Well actually aliens are a bit different. Most cases are results of sleep paralysis, this is when you wake up from a dream unable to move and you hallucinate some freaky shit. In all indications they view this as it actually happened since sleep paralysis isn't widely known.

02-11-2013, 09:54 AM

Damn!! And I used to feel bad about not speaking in tongues. Shit!! I used to think that god just didn't like me as much as the others. I felt so left out. I did however think that it was suspicious that every time the preacher would say "Pray in tongues now" everyone did. Except me and a few others. I thought something phenomenal had to happen. I thought a tangible sense of god needed to be in the house for people to bust out in tongues. After that I was like "That shit is shit."

On demon possession: I think it's got to do with some psychological trigger. I watched an old documentary on youtube on multiple personality disorder (MPD). The people in the video displayed what was being described in the bible. The findings of the study were that the people suffering from the disease had experienced childhood traumas. Sexual assault and the works. I think those people may have a propensity toward MPD or are very suggestible. The mind is a powerful thing.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."