• 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2015, 07:52 AM
RE: Demonizing Darwin
It is a wonderfully written piece.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2015, 08:00 AM
Quote:Hitler argued that "racial purity" was God's will. Darwin argued that because of common decent, there is no such thing as racial purity.

Racism is just common decency... At least according to Hitler Tongue

Quote:The Crusaders used the Bible to justify their wars and murders, therefore the Bible is evil.
I agree Yes

Just to be ultra-nitpicky, I always like to see a few references... e.g. the youtube video that kicked off the post, some backing for the statements that e.g. a lot of teachers aren't even teaching evolution any more (FUCK you guys have a fucked up education system. I mean, beyond fucked up, fuckus uppus muchos, fuckus uppus maximus), and so forth. But it's really nice writing.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
13-08-2015, 02:11 PM
(12-08-2015 02:09 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Heh, I just realized... correcting minor typos aside, we all just high-fived a post by a Christian, written by Christians for Christians, and posted to an atheism site.

Could it BE that that the accusation of certain theist trolls here, that we all hate all Christians, is inaccurate?!?!

Many of us I would presume recognize intelligence, profound and erudite articulation of a perspective, and the efforts of some to be ethical in their assertions. I don't agree with KC's worldview, but I respect him as a person able to present his view, substantiate it, and to do so while maintaining human dignity and academic integrity along the way. I engaged another of our theists civilly earlier because I actually respected what he had to say. I don't agree with his worldview, but I agree with what he was trying to convey, which in that case was about how we as atheists can easily don our atheists glasses and dismiss evidence without truly examining it....the same way theists don their god glasses...

I like that we can have differing worldviews, while giving one another an occasional thumbs up for a well written post, or intelligent and considerate assertion. If only we could get rid of the trolls who are so clueless that they know only how to blindly recite their dogma, without one iota of actual thought or research applied to it...*cough*COTW*cough*Alla*cough* Big Grin

I gotta say RS76, kinda glad you joined our little group, I likes the way your twisted little mind thinks hehe

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
13-08-2015, 03:46 PM
(12-08-2015 02:09 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Heh, I just realized... correcting minor typos aside, we all just high-fived a post by a Christian, written by Christians for Christians, and posted to an atheism site.

Could it BE that that the accusation of certain theist trolls here, that we all hate all Christians, is inaccurate?!?!

This is a slippery slope to blasphemy!

Next we'll be saying that OTHER baseless assertions by theists are inaccurate!
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
13-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Never! In all other respects, they have us nailed, I'm afraid. Wink Tongue

I completely agree with you, GwoG. If the only people you can respect are those who agree with you, you're the worst kind of human being.

On the other hand, my respect is conditioned (for theists and atheists alike) on intellectual honesty, a curiosity about the world, and a willingness to face the data and correct yourself if you are mistaken... see also: intellectual honesty. Just because a person comes to a different honest conclusion than I do, provided it was a conclusion based on rationality (or they admit where they abandon total reason for heartfelt sentiment, for faith in an idea even without solid data to back it up, only a gnosis, as many of us do when we fall in love... this is not in itself a bad thing).

I actually found the post moving, since I am also from Louisiana, and my immediate family still lives there.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
13-08-2015, 08:27 PM
I don't get why they pick on Darwin. He didn't really invent the idea. He just published first, (and almost not even that). British "naturalists" had been coming to something akin to Darwin's theory for a while. I'll try to find the link. But they had been finding fossils while digging in England and even if Darwin hadn't written his book, others would have written something similar very soon, anyway.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-08-2015, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2015 08:53 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Charles Darwin's grandfather, Erasmus Darwin, published quite a bit on the science of evolutionary biology.

All poor ol' Chuck did was nail down Natural Selection as the major mechanism of change. He discovered it long before his co-publisher, Alfred Russel Wallace, but held Origin in secret until he found out Wallace was about to publish a separate paper on NS. He contacted ARW and told him that he had discovered it first but not published out of fear of backlash; they decided to present together at the Linnean Society in London, and Darwin went first. Darwin's book was hundreds of pages; Wallace's paper was a paper... a few pages. Neither was mad about it. I sometimes wonder if we might be hating on Wallace, had they read in reverse order. (That's a major butchery of the What Happened with the presentation; I recommend reading the details for yourself, as I'm just recalling what I learned 20 years ago.)

The real people to blame for the science of evolution as Darwin came to write about it are (besides Erasmus) are Charles Lyell (1830), who wrote Principles of Geology, in which he laid down the ages of the strata and what animals they contained (Cambrian, etc), and Jean-Baptiste Pierre Antoine de Monet, Chevalier de Lamarck, often just called Lamarck, who published in 1801 the Système des animaux sans vertèbres (Classification of the Invertebrates) which laid out the shape of the majority of the "tree of life"... he also incorrectly proposed a system of acquired traits as a means of adaptation, which of course Mendel disproved (but which Genesis 30 thinks is real).

If you REALLY want someone to be mad at for modern evolutionary thinking, I think Theodosius Dobzhansky wins that prize for the modern evolutionary synthesis in 1937, in Genetics and the Origin of Species.

But that's an awful lot of reading, for Creationists. Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
13-08-2015, 08:53 PM
(13-08-2015 08:14 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ...
I am also from Louisiana,

All is explained. We forgive you.

Angel

13-08-2015, 08:56 PM
(13-08-2015 08:48 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  and Jean-Baptiste Pierre Antoine de Monet ...

Anyone with THAT name has got to be evil.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Seriously, Google the phrase, "Lamarckian inheritance" to learn what it is, then look up the story of Laban's Flocks, in Genesis chapter 30.

It's one of the biggest and most obvious scientific mistakes in the Bible, if you know what you're looking at.