Denial? Is this as much a religion as Belief?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2013, 08:23 PM
RE: Denial? Is this as much a religion as Belief?
(08-11-2013 08:18 PM)natachan Wrote:  Instead of looking at the bible as a book of 'Scripture', treat it like a collection of hypotheses from iron age people.
Lets look at the account of the 6 day creation. ... The big bang disproves this.
Adam is given all of the animals and names them ... Evolution disproves this.

I'm about to defend religion. Ugh.

This statement is untrue. BLATANTLY so. Not that science explains these events, but that these were hypotheses in the way we think of that term today. They simply didn't think that way. Indeed the idea of history and truth as we see it today is an incredibly modern concept. These were never meant to be read literally. What stuns me most is that so few people of faith understand how these texts composed and used v
[/quote]

v?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm on my phone. Typos happen.
08-11-2013, 08:40 PM
(08-11-2013 08:18 PM)natachan Wrote:  Instead of looking at the bible as a book of 'Scripture', treat it like a collection of hypotheses from iron age people.
Lets look at the account of the 6 day creation. ... The big bang disproves this.
Adam is given all of the animals and names them ... Evolution disproves this.

I'm about to defend religion. Ugh.

This statement is untrue. BLATANTLY so. Not that science explains these events, but that these were hypotheses in the way we think of that term today. They simply didn't think that way. Indeed the idea of history and truth as we see it today is an incredibly modern concept. These were never meant to be read literally. What stuns me most is that so few people of faith understand how these texts composed and used v
[/quote]

I haven't always been an atheist, during my many years of genuinely seeking answers, I came to the understanding that many religions DO and always have treated them as literal. In the UK, the gentle Anglican church which treats the whole bible as metaphorical, still has it's foundation in the Catholic Church. Who historically did take a literal interpretation.

In regards to your point, I sincerely don't know the intentions of the authors. I'm fairly sure moses believed his own patter and Paul but don't know enough to assert it as definate. With that in mind, if the Bible was NEVER meant literally then that further weakens any information a religious person uses from it to assert any argument is weaker in my mind.

Regarding modern thinking, I concede that to an extent in regards to uniformity and naming the processes but just because they didn't call it a hypothesis at the t8me themselves doesn't mean it isn't one. It's a purely semantic argument. I could call it an idea or assertion and I think my point still stands. As I've said though, I don't know either way for a fact the original authors intent. Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
09-11-2013, 03:16 AM
(08-11-2013 04:33 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  For some reason every time I try to do the quote box the entire post isn't showing up in the thread- anyone know why that would be?

Grammatical BBCode errors. Last time it happened to me, it was a missing backslash.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
09-11-2013, 05:53 AM
(08-11-2013 07:59 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 05:30 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  I see where you are coming from though, but you miss where I am coming from.. the people I talk about 'flocking' to the declaration of atheism, are those that have not thought about it, have done it to annoy their parents, have done it to rebel against their idea of society.. They would not be able to fit themselves in any of your groups as they have done it for another reason. They are 'rebellion' atheists. Believing it just for the sake of rebellion. (Hell thats why some go to satanism, which is doubly ridiculous)

Agree completely. What you describe are the the so-called "village atheists" are they not? A good chunk of them are part of hipster douchebag culture of the Anglophone world. If the USA were majority atheistic they would adopt Christianity or Islam just to be different. I have nothing but contempt for their kind and there are a few of them here on this forum.

So, who are these hipster atheists? Name names, help us root them out. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2013, 10:12 PM
(09-11-2013 05:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 07:59 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Agree completely. What you describe are the the so-called "village atheists" are they not? A good chunk of them are part of hipster douchebag culture of the Anglophone world. If the USA were majority atheistic they would adopt Christianity or Islam just to be different. I have nothing but contempt for their kind and there are a few of them here on this forum.

So, who are these hipster atheists? Name names, help us root them out. Dodgy

Ooh ooh ME! Clap I wanna be a hipster atheist!

Uhmm.... Unsure how do I start?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein