"Denial of Death" and depression

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2011, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2011 09:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: "Denial of Death" and depression
(27-08-2011 06:41 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Just wanted to say that my daughters name is Harley-Quinn. Smile

I've been trying to convince my eldest 26 yo son to come here as GirlyBoy. But he's kinda a GirlyBoy pussy.

(27-08-2011 11:04 AM)HarleyQuinn Wrote:  This seems to summarize some of the Buddhist philosophy that come into play with this idea. Which I admittedly haven't really explored in any depth.

I am embarrassed to admit that some 30 years ago now I stole the Buddhist's way of prayer - Zazen, it's what prayer is supposed to be - without studying their doctrine but ...

(29-08-2011 06:49 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  If we can rid ourselves of our adherence to the "me", "us" "we" past and now things perhaps Buddhism is worthy of some consideration.Huh

... I don't think I have to. Because I already get that intuitively, it's instinctual even.

(29-08-2011 06:49 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Death seems logically one of two things: extinction or continuation.

That doesn't seem logical to me. Only one of those is tenable. Cessation (I think that term is more accurate than extinction) is the only one which is tenable. Continuation is not only untenable, the Dualism that it presupposes and requires is itself untenable. To date there has never been a reasonable postulated mechanism for how the mind/soul could be independent of or exist outside of the brain/body. And even the purely rational arguments like Descartes' Cogito Ergo Sum fall pathetically short. This is obviously subject to change if new evidence is introduced, but I just don't see that happening.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2011, 09:42 AM
RE: "Denial of Death" and depression
Well.............lol. Interesting subject and answers up to now.

Id like to cover the depression side.

I think in a lot of religions the primary way of communicating with "god" is through prayer......now if you was to take "god" out of the equasion then you would be left with people who are actually talking to themselves.......in there own heads (or outloud sometimes).

They ask for guidance, forgiveness, help etc etc.......which is quite liberating I imagine......seeing this omnipresent force as above there own sovereignty. In this they put there FAITH.

Studies have apparently shown that people who are religious and who pray for there recovery in hospital compared to atheists/agnostics have a better chance of recovery......im not saying that this is "god" but it shows just how powerfull FAITH is.

Without FAITH in anything then the world can seem a very bleaky place, I know caus i suffer occasionaly from mild to severe depression. Its how I see the world and its very hard to find FAITH in things going good, although if you look hard enough then you will find positive things out there.

Death is like the final frontier..........Its quite pointless fearing it because it is enevitable. I know I will probably be scared when my time comes around......but in a weird sense im kinda looking foward to it.......to see what is "beyond"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply