Denmark Abolishes Blasphemy Laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 08:54 AM
Wink Denmark Abolishes Blasphemy Laws
The country that was at the centre of the "draw Mohammed" controversy and resulting Islamic-sponsored violence has voted 75 – 27 to abolish its blasphemy law.

Blasphemy law abolished in Denmark

From the article:
Quote:The political discussion in the run-up to the vote centred around two issues: freedom of speech vs blasphemy, and a hypothetical alleged increase in the threat of terrorism that abolition of the law might trigger. The latter was an argument that was relatively new to the debate, and critics of the law roundly rejected the logic... Today’s decisive vote means the end of “blasphemy” in yet another European country. Norway, Iceland, Malta, one French province, and now Denmark, have all abolished their historical “blasphemy” laws since 2015.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
02-06-2017, 08:58 AM
RE: Denmark Abolishes Blasphemy Laws
Jesus Christ, it could not have come soon enough Smile

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
02-06-2017, 08:58 AM
That is absolutely fantastic news, thanks! Way to go Denmark! You have my respect.

Blaspheme laws are absolutely ridiculous. If your pathetic little magical characters can't intervene and handle their own business if they are so offended, then they are hardly worthy of any worship.

Let's be honest, blaspheme laws protect the feelings of believers, nothing more. Time to grow up. You shouldn't have a right to not be offended by things.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2017, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2017 09:11 AM by Vera.)
Pretty sure there ain't no blasphemy laws in Bulgaria (would be pretty weird if there were, after nearly 50 years of communism, even if the constitution was, obviously, re-written after it all crumbled. Still, can't imagine anyone being especially (at all!) worried about such shit when we had much much more important shit to deal with at that time)

[Image: the-atheist-pig-he-needs-to-if-youre-dem...380227.png]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
02-06-2017, 10:19 AM
(02-06-2017 08:58 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  That is absolutely fantastic news, thanks! Way to go Denmark! You have my respect.

Blaspheme laws are absolutely ridiculous. If your pathetic little magical characters can't intervene and handle their own business if they are so offended, then they are hardly worthy of any worship.

Let's be honest, blaspheme laws protect the feelings of believers, nothing more. Time to grow up. You shouldn't have a right to not be offended by things.

I agree, but as a liberal, I do worry about the trend in America by our well intended fellow left of "don't offend ever".

Power shifts over decades and centuries and right now our far right is holding our nation hostage, I don't want to hand that far right the power of censorship.

I think the left needs to learn the difference between blasphemy and demagoguery.

Blasphemy would be like having a friend who kept repeating "The New England Patriots beat the Chicago Cubs in the Stanley Cup" and you responded, "Bullshit that is not true". I see nothing wrong with responding to bad claims.

Demagoguery and oppression go way beyond merely offending. That is when you seek to use mob rule or government law to deny rights and use government to sell fear of someone's mere existence.

One can value human rights as we all should, but claims as ideas don't deserve to be blindly protected.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
02-06-2017, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2017 10:25 AM by Vera.)
Can you contain your strawman drivel on a certain topic to one thread, please!

And your "response" not only doesn't make even a semblance of sense, it has nothing to do with the OP.

And that example of blasphemy and the team is LUDICROUS and makes no sense.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
02-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Denmark, you have my utmost respect.

Like Rob said, Time for the religious kids to grow up

"If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence." --Bertrand Russell

Oh no. He's here - God
[+] 2 users Like Cypher44's post
02-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Good for Them.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-06-2017, 10:51 AM
We were gonna do this the other day but our government voted against it citing that we shouldn't rush things and it should go through the proper procedure like all law and allow the public to submit their feedback if they want and go through the whole process etc..

[Image: oscar.png]
02-06-2017, 10:56 AM
(02-06-2017 10:21 AM)Vera Wrote:  Can you contain your strawman drivel on a certain topic to one thread, please!

And your "response" not only doesn't make even a semblance of sense, it has nothing to do with the OP.

And that example of blasphemy and the team is LUDICROUS and makes no sense.

I am sorry if you are having a hard time understanding me, but before you go calling what I say "drivel" you might want to listen to Ayaan Hirsi Ali's story about having her documentary friend stabbed to death over her film criticizing the treatment of women in Islam.

Nobody and especially not me, is out to say speech is a free for all and you can sell hate, that is not the argument I am making.

No it is not ludicrous, humans DO view their clubs as teams and each sect vies for political attention. Since those competing teams act out on what their holy books say to a political level it is not wise to ignore it all the time.

We have far right Christians in America who deny evolution and deny climate change and vote, those teams do have an effect on our policy.

All you have to do with some theists is simply say "your deity does not exist" and they will take that as a threat to their club.

You don't want to view religions as "teams" but that is just a watered down word for group, and religious sects are groups too, but with political power and weapons.

Now if you can accept it is ridiculous for say hockey fans or soccer fans or baseball fans to fight at bars or at the stadium, then you should be able to understand that is is simply a lighter form of group think and religion has far more power than mere sports. If a sports fan can act on their emotions and traditions and do that, then so can a religion with far more deadly consequences.

None of what I just typed is calling for denial of religion or even human rights. But the point is claims as ideas do not deserve blind value, just like it is rightfully unacceptable for someone to punch you for picking on their favorite sporting team.

It is not true that the earth is only 6 thousand years old as some still believe and base that absurd claim on an old book, just like it is not true that the Patriots ever play the Cubs.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37