Dental Hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 06:42 PM by TheBear.)
RE: Dental Hell
(07-01-2014 12:19 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  So back around the end of October I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled. My recovery went smoothly; the majority of the period I felt like a little, happy, tranquilized pony.

It's been about two months sense then and I've noticed something... abnormal. The bottom areas where wisdom teeth were pulled healed up perfectly. The top, however... not so much. On my top left, there's something pointy growing. Obviously a tooth, but it isn't causing me trouble or discomfort. On my top right, I have two tiny fangs; sharp points growing backwards into my gums. A couple of weeks ago when I first noticed them, I wasn't feeling any discomfort at all. Now, I can't really smile, drink through a straw or strain/move my jaw much without being stabbed by what is satan himself protruding from my gums.

Whenever I had my wisdom teeth pulled, my oral surgeon said that the roots of wisdom teeth can chip off as the teeth are being removed. Typically what chips off stays in place and doesn't move; therefore not really causing a problem. Well this shit is causing me a problem. I dread having to go back to the oral surgeon. The anesthetic they used to put me to sleep made me throw up a lot afterwards. But then again, my own teeth cutting my gums open whilst completely sober and aware isn't exactly my idea of fun either.

Do you smoke? When my wisdom teeth got removed a few years ago, they said if I smoked within a certain time-frame, I might run into a condition called "dry socket". Apparently, it's painful.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/d...-treatment
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 07:06 PM
(08-01-2014 06:12 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 12:19 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  So back around the end of October I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled. My recovery went smoothly; the majority of the period I felt like a little, happy, tranquilized pony.

It's been about two months sense then and I've noticed something... abnormal. The bottom areas where wisdom teeth were pulled healed up perfectly. The top, however... not so much. On my top left, there's something pointy growing. Obviously a tooth, but it isn't causing me trouble or discomfort. On my top right, I have two tiny fangs; sharp points growing backwards into my gums. A couple of weeks ago when I first noticed them, I wasn't feeling any discomfort at all. Now, I can't really smile, drink through a straw or strain/move my jaw much without being stabbed by what is satan himself protruding from my gums.

Whenever I had my wisdom teeth pulled, my oral surgeon said that the roots of wisdom teeth can chip off as the teeth are being removed. Typically what chips off stays in place and doesn't move; therefore not really causing a problem. Well this shit is causing me a problem. I dread having to go back to the oral surgeon. The anesthetic they used to put me to sleep made me throw up a lot afterwards. But then again, my own teeth cutting my gums open whilst completely sober and aware isn't exactly my idea of fun either.

Do you smoke? When my wisdom teeth got removed a few years ago, they said if I smoked within a certain time-frame, I might run into a condition called "dry socket". Apparently, it's painful.

I had one after getting mine done and have never known misery like it. You's sure know if you have one. You would be on the floor and not even know your own name.

To the OP, where they impacted? They are a bitch to get out and it sounds like they have left some of the tooth in there. You don't actually need a general anesthetic. I had mine done under a local as I have seen how rough they are with people when they are out cold and didn't want to look like I had been beaten up.
08-01-2014, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 07:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-01-2014 11:10 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I was dignosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea, and on 2 Oct 2013 the Navy did a 8 hour surgery to correct that. It is called maxillo mandibular advancement and geniosplasty. Basically they broke my lower jaw, cut off my upper jaw and slid them forward a half an inch or so and bolted them together to my skull with titanium plates...joy. They also broke off my chin (geniosplasty) and moved it forward because i guess your tongue base is attached to the back of your chin bone and by moving it forward it flattens the tongue further opening the airway. Then they filled in the gap with cadaver bone and some more titanium plates. Jaw was wired shut for 7 weeks. Only could syringe broth and protein shakes down my throat, so I lost 27 lbs in the first 12 days. Got wires off 4 weeks ago and have been hitting it hard again in the gym. Regained some weight, so I went from 208 lbs, to 179lbs, and now back to 201 lbs lol. What a ride.

here is me looking happy and swollen 4 days after surgery

[Image: 2j1o2mt.jpg]

good times, good times. Keep it all into perspective and get it checked out, hopefully it will all work out. I wish you the best and speed recovery.

THIS! THIS IS WHY I'M SCARED SHITLESS BY DENTISTS!

The USN is the proving grounds for the nation's dentists.
"Hey Joe, I've been reading up and have we done a maxillo mandibular advancement and geniosplasty yet?"
"Don't think so."
"What about that dude with the nasty sleep apnea?"
"Résumé boost!" Banana_zorro (jointly)

Bechased

(08-01-2014 04:38 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 07:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Just had a molar pulled recently and experienced and thought the same thing. "What the fuck? They didn't get the whole tooth?" Turns out it was just a scab that went away on its own once the wound healed. But have your dentist check it out if you're worried. I didn't 'cause that would mean I'd have to go back to the dentist. Bechased

My money's on scabs.

Did the scabs go away on their own?

After reading bemore's link I'm thinking it might've been a chip after all. But it never hurt and yes, it disappeared on its own after a week or two. Girly don't go to the sadists except when I'm in pain as a last resort. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-01-2014, 08:28 PM
(08-01-2014 06:12 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Do you smoke? When my wisdom teeth got removed a few years ago, they said if I smoked within a certain time-frame, I might run into a condition called "dry socket". Apparently, it's painful.

No, I don't, but you can get dry socket from many things. My doctor told me I wasn't allowed to drink from straws, or spit whilst brushing my teeth.
08-01-2014, 10:07 PM
When I got my wisdom teeth out my top two healed up fine, but my bottom two were weird. The top layer healed over before the inside did and it caused some problems. It was really sore and more swollen. I had to go back to the dentist and they had to stab my gums and make a hole again, then they stuffed it with some gauze so it could heal from the bottom up. When I went back and had the gauze removed a few days later, it was like watching a magician pull out a never ending length of silk! After that I just had to use a syringe to clean out the holies after I ate. Gross but fascinating.

Also, I had some pokey bits in my gums for a while, too, but they were just the stitches working their way out and it didn't really hurt but it was annoying. Like having a popcorn kernel in your gum, you know it's there and you want it out but it's stubborn!