Dental woes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Dental woes
I decided it's time to be a big kid and get dental insurance... I think tooth aches cause me more pain now than child birth. I'm constantly buying and taking Excedrin - it's the only stuff that works. I'm causing liver damage, surely.

I'd like to just get them all yanked out and deal with dentures. I've got so many that will have to be pulled or fixed. So many dental insurance companies only offer limited work per year that they cover though. I think that's unfair for someone who really needs to fix their fucking mouth. I mean, Humana offers something like 1 root canal covered per year, and that first year they only pay like 20%.

Can I ask though, what do you guys think about the cost of fixing a mouth vs. having dentures? I'm just thinking, I have to spend so much per year on dental insurance, still pay a huge portion of the cost of procedures done, and do this over several years. I know dentures are better than what they used to be, but I can't help thinking of my Grandmother laying them out to scare us from time to time...

And I won't lie, I have a problem with chocolate. My siblings all have poor teeth as well, though our parents aren't all that bad. I remember being a teenager when I saw a dentist the last time... he told my parents, "She needs braces." And here I am, fucked up teeth and bad eating habits Weeping

Seriously though, what do you guys think? Honestly, I want to hear from those with dental insurance, without it, fucked up teeth, no teeth, experience, random opinions... whatever.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2013, 04:25 PM
RE: Dental woes
(13-02-2013 03:55 PM)CateBee Wrote:  I decided it's time to be a big kid and get dental insurance... I think tooth aches cause me more pain now than child birth. I'm constantly buying and taking Excedrin - it's the only stuff that works. I'm causing liver damage, surely.

I'd like to just get them all yanked out and deal with dentures. I've got so many that will have to be pulled or fixed. So many dental insurance companies only offer limited work per year that they cover though. I think that's unfair for someone who really needs to fix their fucking mouth. I mean, Humana offers something like 1 root canal covered per year, and that first year they only pay like 20%.

Can I ask though, what do you guys think about the cost of fixing a mouth vs. having dentures? I'm just thinking, I have to spend so much per year on dental insurance, still pay a huge portion of the cost of procedures done, and do this over several years. I know dentures are better than what they used to be, but I can't help thinking of my Grandmother laying them out to scare us from time to time...

And I won't lie, I have a problem with chocolate. My siblings all have poor teeth as well, though our parents aren't all that bad. I remember being a teenager when I saw a dentist the last time... he told my parents, "She needs braces." And here I am, fucked up teeth and bad eating habits Weeping

Seriously though, what do you guys think? Honestly, I want to hear from those with dental insurance, without it, fucked up teeth, no teeth, experience, random opinions... whatever.

Dentists can do amazing restorative work these days, and it can be pretty painless.

Once you yank a tooth, it's gone - no going back.

I know people with dentures, and they have limitations. I would urge you to see a dentist for an examination and evaluation of the options. My dentist will let patients pay over time, no interest. She knows dental insurance is not great.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-02-2013, 06:04 PM
What Chas said.

I actually had my six month exam yesterday. Love my dentist. And they can do amazing things.

With our insurance, exams and cleanings are covered 100%. Simple fillings are pretty inexpensive. It's when you get into crowns and root canals that they really get you, but the technology has come so far they can fix a lot that used to require more extensive work.

When I first went to my dentist he worked up a plan (I hadn't been to a dentist in a while) and let me know which were most important to fix and what could wait. It took a while but my teeth are pretty much straightened out. This was after another dentist wanted thousands and thousands of dollars to completely redo my teeth.

Ask around and see who has a good, honest dentist and start there.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-02-2013, 08:01 AM
*Random Opinion*

I think fries can be good with a chocolate shake, but not always.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
14-02-2013, 08:12 AM
“Every tooth in a man’s head is more valuable than a diamond.”
-Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote, 1605

Try to fix it before you take it out imho

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
14-02-2013, 01:56 PM

(14-02-2013 08:01 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  *Random Opinion*

I think fries can be good with a chocolate shake, but not always.

Lies. Fries are ALWAYS good with a chocolate shake.
[+] 1 user Likes CateBee's post
20-02-2013, 02:22 AM
I had a big old rotten molar that got infected (#31). Doc asked me "How attached are you to that tooth?" "I'm not, pull it."
It's counterpoint #18 is headed for the same fate. $50 for an extraction vs. $1200 for a crown. Easy call. ... Now if I start losing more molars, I might have to rethink but missing those 2 ain't gonna be a problem.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
20-02-2013, 04:34 AM
I had some extracted when I was in my teens. Not enough space.

I've lost some more due to a genetic thing.... teeth and gums are fine but the jaw bone has decayed so the teeth get loose and fall out. Father and brother have the same condition.

I have 8 left on the top and 13 on the bottom so I think that means I've lost 11.

I've still got all the important ones so it doesn't worry me.

Never thought of insurance though.

Treatment doesn't cost much here.

When I lose some more, I'm considering getting some insertions.

That'll be fun.

20-02-2013, 08:49 AM
(20-02-2013 04:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I had some extracted when I was in my teens. Not enough space.

I've lost some more due to a genetic thing.... teeth and gums are fine but the jaw bone has decayed so the teeth get loose and fall out. Father and brother have the same condition.

I have 8 left on the top and 13 on the bottom so I think that means I've lost 11.

That'll be fun.

Yes, a savage kind of fun. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
20-02-2013, 08:58 AM
(20-02-2013 08:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-02-2013 04:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I had some extracted when I was in my teens. Not enough space.

That'll be fun.

Yes, a savage kind of fun. Dodgy

Denture knock it. Better tooth ink about drilling and fitting than slurping my noodles.