Deny Immigrants Church Sanctuary

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2017, 06:38 AM
Does that strike you as "evil" or "uncaring"???

Think it through.

Sure, it's caring and altruistic to care about fellow human beings.

BUT...

Do you really want to give fucking CHURCHES legal standing in the criminal justice process???

Any idea what kind of repercussions this will cause???

What happens when the churches decide to harbor murderers? Or rapists? Or pedophiles?? (actually, they've been doing that to some extent)....

Just because somebody shares the belief of a long dead goatherder -doesn't make them some sort of expert on legal jurisprudence.

Don't allow your desire to help people allow the churchfuckers to impose their beliefs on everyone else...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2017, 07:17 AM
RE: Deny Immigrants Church Sanctuary
And yet your headline's only about immigrants.
16-02-2017, 07:24 AM
(16-02-2017 07:17 AM)abaris Wrote:  And yet your headline's only about immigrants.

Should read. "Deny everyone from"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
16-02-2017, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2017 09:19 AM by mordant.)
I don't really have a problem with this. The current policy of the immigration folks (though it is not required by law) is that they will not "conduct enforcement in sensitive locations unless there is immediate danger in not doing so". By this I presume they mean that unless a known terrorist or bomb-maker or something is being sheltered. One such location is within a church, which is a traditional place of sanctuary. But in the absence of churches, I guarantee you that activists would create something equivalent.

Since Trump's directives are now causing deportations regardless of whether it will break up a family, and canceling forbearance for the slightest provocation such as the misdemeanor of being caught with a fake Social Security #, if churches are willing to do the right thing by such people I am in favor of it regardless of what I think of their wider influence on society. Besides, it is not like it's the suburban fundamentalists are going to do this in any event. It is the inner city churches that minister to particular alien / immigrant groups and which provide pro bono legal support to them, for the most part.

Besides when you think about it, someone sheltering in a church basement has a pretty constrained life and doesn't have the opportunity to cause society any problems; it is nearly as much of a sanction as being deported, really. And I would imagine that a combination of extended family and the church would have to provide food and clothing as well as shelter, so it's no burden on society.

None of this would or will prevent Trump from rescinding the current policy and sending the brownshirts into a church basement, but if Trump were capable of understanding the concept of picking your battles and conserving your political capital, he would leave it alone. It's not worth the "optics" as they say. But if, as I suspect he will, he ends up going after these "bad hombres" in church basements, it will only hasten his demise and weaken his already tenuous hold on power ... and I'm all for that, too. Trump will do us a favor by generating as much outrage and protest as possible, particularly when it will be televised live ;-)
16-02-2017, 09:30 AM
Churches as sanctuaries have an interesting history. In Rwanda during the 1994 genocide, they sheltered fleeing Tutsi refugees. When they were assembled in large enough numbers, the clergy directed the killers to those locations. They were able to slaughter thousands without the need to hunt for them all over the countryside.

Conversely when the fugitives took refuge in Mosques they survived the genocide. The Muslims hid them. None of them was required to convert to Islam. For this reason, I am not an ideologue when it comes to places of worship as a sanctuary. I look at in on a case by case basis. Dog forbid I find my atheist ass needing refuge in one of those places.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
16-02-2017, 09:33 AM
(16-02-2017 06:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do you really want to give fucking CHURCHES legal standing in the criminal justice process???

Looks like they already do.

#sigh
16-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Personally, I don't really have an issue with churches offering sanctuary to refugees.

Anything that gets in the way of Agent Orange, his alt-right sheep and their agenda just has to be good.
16-02-2017, 11:09 PM
(16-02-2017 11:18 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Personally, I don't really have an issue with churches offering sanctuary to refugees.

Anything that gets in the way of Agent Orange, his alt-right sheep and their agenda just has to be good.

It sounds good when it's an issue you agree with -- -but trust me --- if this sort of shit becomes precedent --- they WILL provide sanctuary to people that outrage you.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-02-2017, 07:46 AM
(16-02-2017 11:09 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It sounds good when it's an issue you agree with -- -but trust me --- if this sort of shit becomes precedent --- they WILL provide sanctuary to people that outrage you.........

Well, churches providing sanctuary for the persecuted and dispossessed isn't anything new; they've been doing it for a thousand years (perhaps more). The precedent was set a long, long time ago.