Departing from Childhood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Departing from Childhood
This section has a thick layer of dust over it, it's time to put some life back into it. I wouldn't be surprised if no one sees this until the next century.

I'm 17 now. Next year I will be 18, and shortly after I will have my exams which will decide what university courses I can apply for, based on the results I get.

I literally have NO IDEA what I want to study. Absolutely none. Not even a hint. Nothing. I find it hard to study because I have no reason to. My mom nags me constantly, but it does nothing. I just live day to day, waiting for weekends and holidays because school is so dull. Before I know it, 2015 will be here and I will be fucked. I think it's just the fact that every college degree entails a job in which I have to work for someone else, 5 days a week, for the rest of my life. Until I'm retired. By which time all chances for life experiences are over. I would like to run a business some day, to make more money than any regular job ever will, and to live by my rules. Then retire early and do what I want.

I wonder what will I look back on when I am 80. Will I still be alive? Will I have been a complete failure, or a billionaire? I have no idea. Shit's about to go down though Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2014, 03:39 PM
RE: Departing from Childhood
(26-03-2014 02:39 PM)Magoo Wrote:  I would like to run a business some day, to make more money than any regular job ever will, and to live by my rules. Then retire early and do what I want.
It will remain a dream unless you plan how you will achieve it...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Fuck "working"
Start studying comp. Science and unity and java programming skills, and soon you can become a start-up and create a video game like minecraft and kerbal space program.
Atleast that's how I plan to live.
Just find out how to work the system without doing any actual work, like in the startup video game company niche.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
27-03-2014, 10:25 AM
(26-03-2014 03:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 02:39 PM)Magoo Wrote:  I would like to run a business some day, to make more money than any regular job ever will, and to live by my rules. Then retire early and do what I want.
It will remain a dream unless you plan how you will achieve it...

It annoys me whenever I talk to anyone about this. Almost everyone is stuck in the mindset of "someone out there is a far away land sets up a business, but now me".
27-03-2014, 02:28 PM
(27-03-2014 10:25 AM)Magoo Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 03:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  It will remain a dream unless you plan how you will achieve it...

It annoys me whenever I talk to anyone about this. Almost everyone is stuck in the mindset of "someone out there is a far away land sets up a business, but now me".

It can be done and doesn't even require especial skills. What it does require is tenacity and a *lot* of elbow grease... and desire I guess. I mean, some people start as icecream vendors, some people *remain* icecream vendors their whole lives.

What you *will* find useful if you go the own business route, is some basic maths skills, some idea of how finances work, some idea of law... there's a few other things. Working with someone in your chosen industry for a while to get to know the ropes is a good option.

There are lots of books available on how to start out, I suggest do a bit of reading.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-03-2014, 10:58 AM
(27-03-2014 02:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 10:25 AM)Magoo Wrote:  It annoys me whenever I talk to anyone about this. Almost everyone is stuck in the mindset of "someone out there is a far away land sets up a business, but now me".

It can be done and doesn't even require especial skills. What it does require is tenacity and a *lot* of elbow grease... and desire I guess. I mean, some people start as icecream vendors, some people *remain* icecream vendors their whole lives.

This is true, but I think there are two main things that separate the guy who stays a ice-cream vendor his whole life, and the guy that moves forward. The first thing is having great pride in what you make, and trying to maintain great quality. Rather than having average ice-cream, average sprinkles and syrup, average vendor like the guy across the road, make the best tasting ice-cream you can, the best toppings, and have your vendor clean, tidy and looking good. This may cost more, but just putting in some extra effort, and having the desire to do better, really does make the difference. Just take apple for example. They may sell overpriced devices, but they are damn good quality and look great too. And we all know how popular they are.

This then leads into the next thing, ambition. Once you become popular as the best ice-cream vendor in town, you invest some money in purchasing a new vendor. Those two vendors make enough to invest in 4, then 8, and so on. All easier said than done of course, but it is basically how every small company becomes big.

morondog Wrote:What you *will* find useful if you go the own business route, is some basic maths skills, some idea of how finances work, some idea of law... there's a few other things. Working with someone in your chosen industry for a while to get to know the ropes is a good option.

There are lots of books available on how to start out, I suggest do a bit of reading.

I do plan to try and learn as much finance stuff as possible, but to be honest I do find it quite boring. Even knowing everything about business, doesn't guarantee success though.
28-03-2014, 01:49 PM
(28-03-2014 10:58 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Even knowing everything about business, doesn't guarantee success though.

Not trying to be nasty here, just be aware that knowing nothing *does* guarantee failure. I also find finance shit kinda meh. But then I ain't running my own business. Salaried employee FTW baby. And I even got paid last month...

Point is, if you're the boss you've kinda *got* to be on top of stuff like cash flow. Otherwise your lovely business selling top notch quality icecreams will fail to pay a few bills and be auctioned off for a fraction of its true worth just to satisfy your creditors. Or maybe you'll take to a life of crime to keep your business afloat and selling delicious icecreams...

28-03-2014, 02:04 PM
(28-03-2014 10:58 AM)Magoo Wrote:  This is true, but I think there are two main things that separate the guy who stays a ice-cream vendor his whole life, and the guy that moves forward. The first thing is having great pride in what you make, and trying to maintain great quality. Rather than having average ice-cream, average sprinkles and syrup, average vendor like the guy across the road, make the best tasting ice-cream you can, the best toppings, and have your vendor clean, tidy and looking good. This may cost more, but just putting in some extra effort, and having the desire to do better, really does make the difference. Just take apple for example. They may sell overpriced devices, but they are damn good quality and look great too. And we all know how popular they are.
not sure if apple is a good example of what you wanna show Laugh out load

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
28-03-2014, 02:24 PM
(28-03-2014 01:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 10:58 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Even knowing everything about business, doesn't guarantee success though.

Not trying to be nasty here, just be aware that knowing nothing *does* guarantee failure. I also find finance shit kinda meh. But then I ain't running my own business. Salaried employee FTW baby. And I even got paid last month...

Point is, if you're the boss you've kinda *got* to be on top of stuff like cash flow. Otherwise your lovely business selling top notch quality icecreams will fail to pay a few bills and be auctioned off for a fraction of its true worth just to satisfy your creditors. Or maybe you'll take to a life of crime to keep your business afloat and selling delicious icecreams...

I'm aware of this, I was just pointing it out. I couldn't bare a salary. So much work for so little I'm return, even on good salaries. Someone else decides when you work, when you have a break, how much your earn, when you have holidays, and even if you job exists.
28-03-2014, 03:14 PM
I turned 18 three weeks ago, I graduate in two months, and I still don't know what I'm going to do with my life.

Probably just sleep and die and steal air conditioning units.