Depopulation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2015, 02:59 PM
RE: Depopulation
To make the world fairer, would people be willing to make sacrifices?

I dont think the majority would.

When the worlds financial system collapses again, or when resources start to become more scarce, you will see enough wars kicking off that will thin down the numbers.

The gap between the rich and the poor will cause problems in the long run with an improvement in technology. When they can automate more things, replace people with robotics then poverty will increase.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2015, 03:38 AM
Evolution is adaptation. Adaptation may require reduction! It's not a matter of more and more! More people, plants, whatever. And, eventually, evolution may "adapt" to, for lack of a better word: "Nothing". I don't accept that, yet. Because I can't imagine no "space". By "space, I mean "room to move around in." Evolution is not God! It offers we atheists no comfort!!! It offers us an understanding of how things MIGHT work. Again, I can only speak for myself, but I will, gladly, suck your dick! If you can find me a comfortable home with your god!
20-03-2015, 04:23 AM
(09-03-2015 07:21 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I have heard rumors about people trying to depopulate the earth. Do you believe the earth is currently crowded? I think that it could be an excuse to promote another agenda.

People trying to depopulate the Earth? have you asked yourself why such people would want to do that? Have you thought about the success rate about such a venture? Because such a thing couldn't happen in a vacuum! Depopulation of the earth would require global cooperation. Couldn't happen any other way. Therefore it would require CONSPIRACY! Now, you're saying: "Cool! I knew it!" So! Here we are! CONSPIRING! Well, I want you to conspire with me! God is my witness! I have not mentioned this conversation to Girly Man! Please, Everyone! All my friends! Please don't tell Girly! He's a horrible nutcase and will only bring us down! So if we can only keep this post from him, we can PROVE how easy it is to conspire! I beg you all! Let Girly not find this post!
20-03-2015, 04:26 AM
(15-03-2015 02:59 PM)bemore Wrote:  When they can automate more things, replace people with robotics then poverty will increase.

I would've thought that by removing the necessity for drudge work people might conceivably see their lives *improving*...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-03-2015, 05:00 AM
"They?" Yea. The automation issue scares me. The question being: "What happens when less humans are required to support humans?" It's happening now. Fewer humans are required at my local Wal-Mart. I don't like it! I think the inevitable result might be less need for humans to c are for humans. Is that a good thing for humans? Depends on how humans handle it. But eventually, we will be a non issue
20-03-2015, 07:42 AM
(20-03-2015 04:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 02:59 PM)bemore Wrote:  When they can automate more things, replace people with robotics then poverty will increase.
I would've thought that by removing the necessity for drudge work people might conceivably see their lives *improving*...

Yes, but only if you have money and/or a job. So far our species has been pretty much able to increase its economic output based on the increasing numbers of humans. More humans to do the work means more work gets done, and more jobs are available to do even more work. But let's say that we reach a tipping point where economic output is not linked to increasing numbers of humans but instead to increasing numbers of machines. Who will give a human a job that could instead have gone to a machine that does it better for less money? How would we structure our economy if only 1% of people have a "job" in the traditional sense while machines do all of the remaining conceivable work?

This may or may not happen, and may or may not be possible... but I'm not to the point yet of ruling it out as a possibility of occurring in the future.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
20-03-2015, 07:59 AM
(20-03-2015 07:42 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 04:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  I would've thought that by removing the necessity for drudge work people might conceivably see their lives *improving*...

Yes, but only if you have money and/or a job. So far our species has been pretty much able to increase its economic output based on the increasing numbers of humans. More humans to do the work means more work gets done, and more jobs are available to do even more work. But let's say that we reach a tipping point where economic output is not linked to increasing numbers of humans but instead to increasing numbers of machines. Who will give a human a job that could instead have gone to a machine that does it better for less money? How would we structure our economy if only 1% of people have a "job" in the traditional sense while machines do all of the remaining conceivable work?

This may or may not happen, and may or may not be possible... but I'm not to the point yet of ruling it out as a possibility of occurring in the future.

Also, on the jobs issue:
Hows does a company that uses humans to do their work compete with an automated company that does similar work?
If they can afford it they automize, if not, they eventually close down. Lost jobs either way.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
20-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Hmm. I see it as more robots => less need for humans to work => more abundance for everyone => Yay...

I'm probably too naive Weeping But for example, cleaning sewers is a shitty job. I can't see that it's an economic necessity that some poor sod has to do that at risk to life and limb. Send a friggin' robot in there! Let the poor sod do something more fun, like supervise the robot.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-03-2015, 08:27 AM
(20-03-2015 08:08 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hmm. I see it as more robots => less need for humans to work => more abundance for everyone => Yay...

I'm probably too naive Weeping But for example, cleaning sewers is a shitty job. I can't see that it's an economic necessity that some poor sod has to do that at risk to life and limb. Send a friggin' robot in there! Let the poor sod do something more fun, like supervise the robot.

The poor sod may not be qualified to do anything above cleaning a sewer. Supervising a robot for instance.
The less nasty, better paying jobs will be filled quicker with more people looking to fill those positions.
21-03-2015, 03:35 AM
(20-03-2015 08:08 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hmm. I see it as more robots => less need for humans to work => more abundance for everyone => Yay...

Yea. It's a shitty job. But my local Wal-Mart has computers checking people out. Not such a shitty job! The first voice I hear when I go to McDonalds, is that of a computer. So, robots and computers aren't taking only crappy jobs. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. So far, so good! I got access to the fucking world on my phone! But I do How the supply/demand (for work) thing will be resolved.