Depressed: Family Rejection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Sad Depressed: Family Rejection
Hey fellow atheists,
I am having a lot of emotional turmoil. I came out to my family and the response was not pleasant. They say that I should be institutionalized to get help to be "back on track". They are kicking me out in 30 days and I have next to no money because I'm in school and can't work full time. Their suggestion is a religious group home because apparently I can't function without god in my life according to them. I am terribly depressed over the whole problem and don't know where else to turn. I'm on meds for depression because I've suffered from it for years, but it isn't helping. Understand I am NOT suicidal. I just find myself crying suddenly and I don't know why. I literally feel flat and emotionless. Am I the crazy one? Huh Sadcryface
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2013, 11:14 AM
RE: Depressed: Family Rejection
I hate when parents make horrible decisions. well, your choices are limited.

1. stick yourself back in the atheist closet until you can support yourself. And pretend to believe what they do for the sake of food and shelter.

OR
2. find somewhere else to go.

Are you under 18?
if so-you may not have much say in the choice where you go.
if not- you can go where ever you want. you are an adult.

sometimes our choices don't align with our dreams and that sucks, but its part of life. You might have to give up school for awhile to find food and shelter.
find a roommate, a studio apartment, a friend you can crash at their house for awhile, find a job, find out what you can line up for social services (food stamps, medical card, bus transportation, etc).

you might be surprised at the parents of your friends that will take you in-even for just a month. talk to your school counselor (assuming you aren't at a religious school).

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
17-05-2013, 11:20 AM
I see nothing that would indicate that you are crazy, you are just honest. Is there anyone you know and trust that is an atheist or perhaps close to being one, like a UU preacher? Most of my atheist friends would be happy to help. There must be many in your area that would do the same. I'm not sure of the ethics involved in giving in and "repenting" until you can be on your own, but depending on your ethics it might be a possibility.

Bob

Keep the company of those who seek the truth- run from those who have found it. (Václav Havel)
17-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Drop school, find a place to stay and a way to earn money.

The most important thing in your life right now is to absent yourself from the destructive environment you're in.

There are endless numbers of people who have lived in their cars or on a spare couch in friend's homes while they sorted their lives out and there's no reason you can't do the same.

The key is to focus on accomplishing the short term goals of having a place and a job. Schools have been around for millennia and they're not going to be closing any time soon. They will be there when you're in the proper emotional and financial position to take advantage of them.

Lastly, I'm really sorry that you've been put in this predicament. It's not your fault and you're not at all crazy for being honest with people who claim to love you.

Good luck to you.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
17-05-2013, 11:38 AM
How old are you and which religion did you leave, specifically? Are you in the USA? This will help to see what resources are available to suggest.

You are not crazy, and depression is a physical illness. It really sucks your family can't see that and their faith has blinded them when all you need is medical help and support from loved ones. Sorry to hear about the unfolding events. Sad

You are not alone in your experience, though I'm sure it feels that way. Many people here have this exact same story or similar. Take things one moment at a time, breath. Deep breathing will help, it does calm the mind which will help you make better decisions. Drink water too, if you are crying a lot. Dehydration will make things worse.

Keep us posted, too!
17-05-2013, 11:49 AM
More info needed if we are supposed to make helpful suggestions!

Age? What kind of school? What religion? Gender might help find solutions too.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-05-2013, 12:31 PM
I am 19. I am at a state university in pa (USA) studying magnetic physics. I came from roman catholicism. I am a male.
17-05-2013, 12:36 PM
(17-05-2013 12:31 PM)Iceabaton Wrote:  I am 19. I am at a state university in pa (USA) studying magnetic physics. I came from roman catholicism. I am a male.

Find somewhere to crash, get a part time job for some food money, tell your family you love them and to look you up when they get over themselves.

The world awaits a keen mind, friend. Your family can only be a crutch for so long, and it looks like it's breaking now. Stand on your own feet and start walking. Good luck!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
17-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Check with the university for housing, dining plan, work study jobs, scholarships. Also if you have a professor that is easy to talk to- try them for some ideas. Many times professors know places and people in the town that can help that aren't official university programs. The university should also have a health center for students.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
17-05-2013, 12:54 PM
(17-05-2013 12:31 PM)Iceabaton Wrote:  I am 19. I am at a state university in pa (USA) studying magnetic physics. I came from roman catholicism. I am a male.

Do you have any extended family or friends who could take you in until you figure out a place to stay during your school years? My parents are roman Catholic as well, it seems yours are quite conservative.

It seems as though you will have to work through school, I don't think a group home takes an adult male, religious or not, when the person is kicked out of their parents home.

Does your school have dorms or perhaps you could be a roomie somewhere for less money?