Depressed: Family Rejection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2013, 01:00 PM
RE: Depressed: Family Rejection
(17-05-2013 12:36 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 12:31 PM)Iceabaton Wrote:  I am 19. I am at a state university in pa (USA) studying magnetic physics. I came from roman catholicism. I am a male.

Find somewhere to crash, get a part time job for some food money, tell your family you love them and to look you up when they get over themselves.

The world awaits a keen mind, friend. Your family can only be a crutch for so long, and it looks like it's breaking now. Stand on your own feet and start walking. Good luck!

Thumbsup

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2013, 01:24 PM
(17-05-2013 01:00 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 12:36 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Find somewhere to crash, get a part time job for some food money, tell your family you love them and to look you up when they get over themselves.

The world awaits a keen mind, friend. Your family can only be a crutch for so long, and it looks like it's breaking now. Stand on your own feet and start walking. Good luck!

Thumbsup

I hear you. But we all act like assholes because of some stupid dogma at some time or another, and deserve a second chance to make up for it. Especially family, because we especially do it to family. That's my 2. Take it or leave it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
17-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I'd say look into university housing of some sort. I had a part time job and made $100/wk, but even that is a start if you can get housing (that you don' have to pay for while in school). The school should have some kind of medical center, and then perhaps a meal package. I don't know about right now, but if you're gonna stay in school, try to look into it for the next semester. Not having a job shouldn't a huge problem if you can get those and have them covered with student loans, which you don't have to pay back while in school. Again, all of this depends on the school itself and what's available. Or if you have a friend with an apartment. But if you want to look at things like ads for roommates, you're still gonna need to be making SOME cash money to pay for it, so I think a part time job is important, even if you are going to school full time. I worked 2 part time jobs and went to school full time, it can be done, even if it's not fun, and especially if it's necessary.

Of course, this only applies if your parents continue to be dicks about it and won't let the issue rest. Another option is to try to avoid the subject until they cool down a bit. But if you are dependent on your family because you don't work, you really don't have any options besides (1)putting up with it, or (2)getting a job and becoming more independent.
17-05-2013, 09:22 PM
pls dont give up your education over this. we need more people like you to be educated in the world and to contribute to society. if your family would rather you be a mindless religious drone than help support you through college, then its definitely not you who has a problem Smile
17-05-2013, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2013 10:36 PM by Hughsie.)

Times have changed. I was an Airman First Class in the USAF when I was 19. I went in when I was 17. I fit college in between TDY's to Saudi Arabia and did a lot of correspondance courses (now called online courses). BYU had a great distant learning program, as did City Colleges of Chicago, and that fit with my TDY schedule. I did 30 semester hours worth of CLEP and ACT/PEP tests.

I think the difference today is in attitude. In my day it was "What can I get?" Sometimes today I think it is more, "What am I owed?"

Content Removed.

I'd say tell them you were only kidding, but I don't think you should. I think you should stick to your guns, and I think it's time to move out of the nest.

IMO
Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2013, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2013 10:40 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
(17-05-2013 10:01 PM)Egor Wrote:  Times have changed. I was an Airman First Class in the USAF when I was 19. I went in when I was 17. I fit college in-between TDY's to Saudi Arabia and did a lot of correspondance courses (now called online courses). BYU had a great distant learning program, as did City Colleges of Chicago, and that fit with my TDY schedule.

I think the difference today is in attitude. In my day it was "What can I get?" Sometimes today I think it is more, "What am I owed?"

Content removed
At first I didn't quite get what you meant from your original reply, Egor...

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
17-05-2013, 10:19 PM
(17-05-2013 01:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 01:00 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Thumbsup

I hear you. But we all act like assholes because of some stupid dogma at some time or another, and deserve a second chance to make up for it. Especially family, because we especially do it to family. That's my 2. Take it or leave it.

I understand what you're saying. This man is nineteen years old and he's on medication for depression, which is caused by environment.

How many more chances do they need?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
17-05-2013, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2013 10:40 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
(17-05-2013 10:01 PM)Egor Wrote:  Times have changed. I was an Airman First Class in the USAF when I was 19. I went in when I was 17. I fit college in between TDY's to Saudi Arabia and did a lot of correspondance courses (now called online courses). BYU had a great distant learning program, as did City Colleges of Chicago, and that fit with my TDY schedule. I did 30 semester hours worth of CLEP and ACT/PEP tests.

Content removed

I'd say tell them you were only kidding, but I don't think you should. I think you should stick to your guns, and I think it's time to move out of the nest.

IMO

But then I see you added more upon the post therein changing the previous tone to this tone. Which still has the original vindicatory message, but with a lot of other opinions put in there.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
17-05-2013, 10:27 PM
the military is an option. they will provide food, shelter, money and an education. Educated, bright students can really succeed in the military because of their skills. You could get your 6 weeks of basic training over the summer and be back in school most likely by fall. Might be worth it to talk to a recruiter just to see what they have to offer.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
18-05-2013, 12:10 AM
(17-05-2013 10:19 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 01:24 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I hear you. But we all act like assholes because of some stupid dogma at some time or another, and deserve a second chance to make up for it. Especially family, because we especially do it to family. That's my 2. Take it or leave it.

I understand what you're saying. This man is nineteen years old and he's on medication for depression, which is caused by environment.

How many more chances do they need?

I qualified my statement. They deserve respect and forgiveness when they are ready to give the same. He needs to take the space he needs, for as long as he needs it. If he can get to a point in his life where he is comfortable in his own skin and independent enough, his family's viewpoints won't be an issue. If they come around in the meantime, all the better.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco