Depressed: Family Rejection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2013, 09:45 PM
RE: Depressed: Family Rejection
Thanks to everyone who came to my aid. I think I'll definately look into campus housing, especially if I can wrap it in with financial aid. I have a small part time job now at the campus bookstore and that only pays enough for my insurance and gas but it helps though. Right now, I think my grandparents will let me stay with them over the summer, they are upset that I'm atheist but not rejecting me for it. They live 3 hours away but I think it will give me a springboard to get out on my own. And don't get me wrong I really don't want to depend on people for housing and food but my financial situation doesn't allow for any other option. The summer will allow me to recoup some money. I was just hired a day ago for a short term 38hr a week job at $9 an hour! This will really give me some money to push off with. Morally I cannot retract my beliefs and pretend to be a sheep. Thank you all again for all your help, I really needed some advice, I hit a real slump and you guys showed me that there is a way out!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Iceabaton's post
18-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Best advice I can give is just to keep on keeping on, and stay true to yourself. Shit gets low sometimes, but it will pick back up as long as you keep at it. Life is just like that. Best of luck!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-06-2013, 01:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 02:10 AM by f0rTyLeGz.)
Best advice I can give you is that one's beliefs about what is really going on here change. And parents are the worst people to talk to about magical supernatural beings if they are true believers. But they will always be your parents, and trust me the years will rush by. You may graduate, and get married, and find good work, and buy a house, and have a family. It is good to have your parents on your side... even if they are deeply religious, as you all pass through life. They don't need to know what you think about religious nonsense.

Everything is falling.
08-06-2013, 11:53 AM
A difference of opinion way back in 1975 between my parents and I meant that they pulled any help for college, two months before I was to leave. I couldn't get any help because aid was based on their income during the time frame looked at. And I ended up homeless before that was even a well-known term.

Thirty-odd years later I wish I would have sucked it up and gone to school. Had their tactics not included some pretty brutal beatings, I probably would have.

It was said before...don't give up your education. Look for options and seriously look at how things can go more smoothly at home so you can stay in school.

If you are being abused or if it's so bad you can't even do a good job with your schooling, looking into other options is the way to go.

I hope you figure out a way...good luck!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
08-06-2013, 01:10 PM
You need to bite the bullet. Do what is best for you even if you have to apologize to your parents, that you had been under enormous stress, that you'd felt God had abandoned you, that you were feeling worthless. Hopefully that will gain their sympathy. Get your degree and once on your own you can live your life as you wish.
08-06-2013, 03:50 PM
bbeljefe and f0rTyLeGz, I've split your argument from this thread into it's own thread and moved it into TTOT. This is not a section for arguments.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.