Depression

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Depression
I think I might be dealing with mild depression and am thinking about trying medication. Anybody here dealt with or are currently dealt with this issue and have any perspective they can give me?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2014, 06:24 PM
RE: Depression
Been there, done that. Currently doing it again. I have had a couple of episodes of mild depression over the past decade. The first one was self-limiting, the second I went to therapy and talked through some things. It has crept back on over the past few months. It manifests as fatigue, lack of motivation to get back in shape, and irritability. It seems a bit worse this time, so I'm starting back with therapy, and I did see my physician for a prescription of Lexapro. This will be the first time I have taken medication. Both the therapist and the physician said the meds work better in conjunction with therapy. Once you have depression, you are definitely more likely to have it again, so be sure to recognize the signs early. I tried a therapist last month, but only went for one session. There are very few options around here. One therapist's website mentioned Christian counseling briefly in her bio. I emailed her and specifically told her I was an atheist, and wanted to be sure she felt she would be able to work with me from a secular perspective. She assured me she could. The first session went ok, but she sent me home with this CD to listen to. It was full of spiritual bullshit that talked about God and Heaven. It was more figurative than literal, but it pissed me off. I did not go back. My new therapist seems much more promising.
19-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Several of us have, or are, dealing with depression. Talk to your doctor to see what may be best for you. Sometimes if depression is due to a certain event it will work it's way out. Let your doc decide, they know the questions to ask. There's no shame in asking for help.

I take Lexapro on and off. Should probably stay on it but I get stubborn and stop. Then I bottom out and have to start again.

I am sure others will have input for you. Sundays can be kind of slow around here.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
19-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I've kinda self diagnosed based on my energy level and severe lack of motivation for just about anything. I've recently turned 30 so my body is starting to betray me and I need to start exercising again before it gets out of control, but I just can't bring myself to start running again. I know I feel so much better and self confident when I'm running and working out so I'm hoping maybe a short time with some medication might be enough to get going and then drop the meds.
19-10-2014, 06:44 PM
(19-10-2014 06:00 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I think I might be dealing with mild depression and am thinking about trying medication. Anybody here dealt with or are currently dealt with this issue and have any perspective they can give me?

Had depression for years. Get a good dr recommendation. Might have to take awhile tto get right meds.

(Hug)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
19-10-2014, 07:01 PM
(19-10-2014 06:42 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Thanks for the replies.

I've kinda self diagnosed based on my energy level and severe lack of motivation for just about anything. I've recently turned 30 so my body is starting to betray me and I need to start exercising again before it gets out of control, but I just can't bring myself to start running again.

Pretty much exactly my scenario, except I'm 40, not 30. I lost about 50# year before last and into the new year last year. Started running for the first time in my life, was going to therapy and felt great. I was in the best shape of my life, and did a half marathon in November. After that, I took off a week from running for recovery, and just never started back. I gained my weight back, the depression crept back in, and I had no motivation to run. I'd do an occasional mile or two, and I barely finished a 5K this summer. I am signed up for the same half I did last November in a couple of weeks, but I don't think I can even walk it, much less run. I just started the Lexapro on Friday, so I hope it will help, and I can do the half marathon next year.
19-10-2014, 07:01 PM
(19-10-2014 06:42 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Thanks for the replies.
I've kinda self diagnosed based on my energy level and severe lack of motivation for just about anything. I've recently turned 30 so my body is starting to betray me and I need to start exercising again before it gets out of control, but I just can't bring myself to start running again. I know I feel so much better and self confident when I'm running and working out so I'm hoping maybe a short time with some medication might be enough to get going and then drop the meds.

(bolding mine)
I have some of the same issues with lack of motivation (among other things) myself and I take meds for it.
I strongly suggest you don't adjust your meds without a doctors input or direction.
It may not seem so, but it can be dangerous. Please be careful.
19-10-2014, 07:23 PM
I've been told that depression meds work similar to anxiety meds and while I've worked through a lot of my anxiety issues without meds, I have noticed an uptick in my anxiety recently.
19-10-2014, 07:27 PM
(19-10-2014 07:23 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I've been told that depression meds work similar to anxiety meds and while I've worked through a lot of my anxiety issues without meds, I have noticed an uptick in my anxiety recently.

Anxiety and depression can occur together but they are not the same. I don't have issues with anxiety other than specific times (like when I was first diagnosed with cancer). The meds for depression that I have tried do take time to work and aren't an instant fix. You don't get an instant tranquilizing or euphoric effect. It's also trial and error (in some cases) to find the right med. I have tried some that don't seem to work for me but Lexapro does with little to no side effects.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
20-10-2014, 02:00 PM
(19-10-2014 06:44 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Might have to take awhile to get right meds.

Ain't that the truth. SSRis (like Lexapro) are typically the first line of treatment but they poisoned me. 95% of serotonin is found in the gut and my gut voiced its objection forcefully. Old school Wellbutrin works better for me. For some people cognitive behavioral therapy works better than meds, for others it's the opposite. If it's mild or situational, CBT might be a preferred first line treatment. Nothing mild about my black dog.

There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke.

#sigh