Depression

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2015, 07:52 AM
Depression
I suffer from depression and I'm currently taking Sertaline to see if that will help (it didn't last time IMO). However, I also feel like I need someone who isn't a friend or family member to talk with about how I feel/what I think.

I called one of the local counselling services but they are only available for one to one sessions during my working hours. That basically leaves me two choices - I either take time off work once a week to attend (not ideal as I'm in a temp. job) OR I can get phone counselling (which I admit I'm not keen on the idea of)

Has anybody tried phone counselling in the past and did it work for you? The lady I spoke with said it will be mostly cognitive behaviour therapy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Depression
I went through a depression time in my late 30s.
Things got better for me with medication, it took over a year but things got better.
I don't know how the phone call will help. Maybe a 1-900 number will help some. Hang in there.
26-07-2015, 09:08 PM
RE: Depression
Add exercise to your daily routine. Walking, jogging, weight lifting. Anything physically active. It's not a sole solution but it will help.
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
26-07-2015, 09:14 PM
I am not sure how things are where your are, but is there a reason the doctor isn't wiling to try another drug since you didn't have good results with this one in the past?

I have used a few antidepressants over the years and it took a while to finally hit on one that works for me. Everyone who has talked about it on here seems to have different good effects from different things.

As for counseling, I have never done counseling over the phone and am not really sure how I feel about that option - but it sounds like your best option (due to work) so it may be worth a shot.

I did face-to-face counseling when my first husband died but that was more a grief counseling thing and I also went to a family counselor when I severed ties with my mother. So my experience was more event specific, not just for depression.

Good luck!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
26-07-2015, 09:18 PM
If you can't take the time off work, give the phone counselling a chance. It's really important to talk to someone. You may be pleasantly surprised with the phone counselling too...there several things that are nice about not being face to face. Try to capitalize on the positives (ie do the counselling wearing pyjamas!)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
28-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Well, we were seeing a couple of our friends last night and when I brought up counselling, my pal Louise gave me a contact number for a different counselling service who are open in the evenings instead of having to take time out of my working hours. I've contacted them today and am just waiting to hear back from them to see about pricing, timings etc. Hopefully, I can get an appointment booked sooner rather than later - I feel like I need one badly even though I'm not suicidal or anything like that.
[+] 3 users Like MrsRusty's post
29-07-2015, 09:02 AM
There are plenty of therapists that do Skype sessions, or some other kind of seen-over-the-computer sessions. This might allow you to have the best of both worlds, so to speak.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
03-08-2015, 07:44 AM
honestly, I would try a different doctor.
its kind of common knowledge that some depression meds work better for some people than other ones and you might have to try different ones and different dosages to get it right.

I would be Dodgy if my doc put me back on something that didnt work the first time.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post