Depression?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2016, 02:15 PM
Depression?
I have never suffered from depression. I have been sad at times, or melancholy, and I have done more than my share of grieving, but these things were not the paralyzing disinterest in life I see as depression.

Well, this thing with Trump has me depressed. Seeing good friends fight is sad. But Trump reaches me on a gut level - I think of plain fear.

Having grown up in post-war Germany, I have heard many, many first hand tales, from the general population in Germany, from ex-Nazis, and from Jews. And when it comes down to the bottom line, the survivors pretty much all had the same basic experience - fear, despair, losing loved ones in horrific ways. It happened to everyone across the board.

Now, maybe I am paranoid (also not a normal trait of mine) but Trump has said so many very scary things - if he is at all able to actually do any of them, it will be a scary, scary world here in the US, and in Europe as well.

Bottom line - I have trouble functioning since I heard the news. I am going to try to go shopping today, which I need to do, but I bet I will postpone it again. I have postponed everything since the election. I can't stop watching news and commentaries and reading everything I can get my hands on. Normally that is how I deal with issues - inform myself.

This time it actually works against me.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
11-11-2016, 02:17 PM
RE: Depression?
Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Sometimes just getting out of bed or leaving the house is a chore with me.
That's not because of the election, it's just the way it is. Tomorrow could be a different story altogether. Who knows?
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
11-11-2016, 02:37 PM
There's such a thing as situational depression, which is a (usually) short-term response to stress and worry. I hope you feel more energized soon, but if you still feel as bad in another week, maybe get some suggestions from your doctor.

I've been very anxious about the election all year. For the last month and a half I have had anxiety dreams and nightmares almost every night. Since Tuesday I've been going about things in a fog, sleeping not enough, etc., and I think for me it's a stress reaction, my body is just tired of me being tense and worried all the time and is acting out.
[+] 7 users Like julep's post
11-11-2016, 02:54 PM
As Julep mentioned, it sounds like situational depression rather than clinical or other types of depression.

If it feels bad enough, see a doctor and/or counselor.

In this situation more information may not be the answer. To put it bluntly, the answers you are looking for do not exist yet. You are worried about the future, our information only deals with the past and the present.

However that said, you can still find some hopeful bits.

Even before the final tally, Trump had backtracked on many of his more extravagant promises. Since the election he has backtracked on more. And as more people become aware of it, and see the negative effects of his policies, his power base will erode more and more.

I also want to say I was impressed with your comments in the other thread regarding protests and activism. You were right in that those things can make a difference. Channel worry into action.

There is much to worry about, but there is also much to hope for.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
11-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Dom, remember the words that First Lady Michelle Obama said, "When they go low, we go high."

We have to make sure the changes are minimal. We have to write letters to our representives and make sure they hear our voices and try to fight for us as futile as it may seem.

We cannot just lay down, yes it's time to lick our wounds and but eventually we must turn to action. Even if that means just living our lives. We can't hide. If we see injustice, speak out against it. Let them know it's wrong.

In the words of President Obama, "don't boo, vote."

"We can NOT be Americans if we remove all that America has stood for... freedom, equality, solidarity, peace and humanity." -- said by my man.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 11 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-11-2016, 03:05 PM
(11-11-2016 02:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have never suffered from depression. I have been sad at times, or melancholy, and I have done more than my share of grieving, but these things were not the paralyzing disinterest in life I see as depression.

Well, this thing with Trump has me depressed. Seeing good friends fight is sad. But Trump reaches me on a gut level - I think of plain fear.

Having grown up in post-war Germany, I have heard many, many first hand tales, from the general population in Germany, from ex-Nazis, and from Jews. And when it comes down to the bottom line, the survivors pretty much all had the same basic experience - fear, despair, losing loved ones in horrific ways. It happened to everyone across the board.

Now, maybe I am paranoid (also not a normal trait of mine) but Trump has said so many very scary things - if he is at all able to actually do any of them, it will be a scary, scary world here in the US, and in Europe as well.

Bottom line - I have trouble functioning since I heard the news. I am going to try to go shopping today, which I need to do, but I bet I will postpone it again. I have postponed everything since the election. I can't stop watching news and commentaries and reading everything I can get my hands on. Normally that is how I deal with issues - inform myself.

Dom,

This might help a bit. I've tuned out the news and Youtube commentaries and looked at fundamentals instead; like how democracy works and how populism can affect democracy. It helps to see the current situation as a natural part of a cycle, albeit a bad part.

Next, focus the mind on something else. When the mind tries to pull us back to the anxiety stuff, do some Buddhism on it. Trump seems big at the moment but the universe is quite a bit bigger. Don't give him the respect of getting dragged into his psychology.

Finally, Trump looks even smaller in newsprint, especially without the blown up scary portraits. Drinking Beverage

Best wishes,

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
11-11-2016, 03:21 PM
I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I think this election has left many of us shaking our heads and has left us with a mixture of fear, anxiety, disgust, and heartbreak. I can understand how you are feeling. Hugs to you.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-11-2016, 03:24 PM
(11-11-2016 02:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have never suffered from depression. I have been sad at times, or melancholy, and I have done more than my share of grieving, but these things were not the paralyzing disinterest in life I see as depression.

Hug I feel for you. I am so stunned that that chump is president. We're going to have to ride it out as best we can. I'm also not looking at any political threads, here or elsewhere. Too depressing. But you have to get going, or you'll just get more depressed.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
11-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Hug

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post