Depression?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2016, 07:21 AM
RE: Depression?
The bigger picture has always been depressing. This election didn't change that. My day to day strategy for not letting my apathy completely take over is, beyond casual or hypothetical debate, to only concern myself directly with those things I can control. I can't, for example, force anyone to change their minds in regards to Muslim paranoia, but I can volunteer with the refugee resettlement and education programs like I did last year in Montreal before moving to Ottawa. There's always a piece of the puzzle you can affect at your level. Anything beyond that isn't worth worrying about.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
12-11-2016, 03:44 PM
(11-11-2016 02:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, this thing with Trump has me depressed.

I wouldn't worry too much about Trump. If anything you should send him a thank you card for knocking out Ted Cruz in the primaries. See, he's already done your country a great service!

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2016, 03:58 PM
(12-11-2016 03:44 PM)Aractus Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 02:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, this thing with Trump has me depressed.

I wouldn't worry too much about Trump. If anything you should send him a thank you card for knocking out Ted Cruz in the primaries. See, he's already done your country a great service!

It's a matter of how well they can cover for his temper tantrums and how much damage he can do when pissed off. He is not stable emotionally, he is a malignant narcissist. He has no political orientation. He just likes being admired or feared. Now he is jailed and muzzled. He won't like it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-11-2016, 04:09 PM
How do you know he's "not stable emotionally"? Obama showed the same zeal when he ran in 2008 - don't believe everything you read.

My Blog
12-11-2016, 04:16 PM
(12-11-2016 04:09 PM)Aractus Wrote:  How do you know he's "not stable emotionally"? Obama showed the same zeal when he ran in 2008 - don't believe everything you read.
Same zeal? From following him of his state senate rise from being in Illinois it's not even a comparison of energy. It's shifting of attitudes from time to time. Even Trumps how to criminalize abortion stances changed day to day to day one point on the trail.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-11-2016, 04:18 PM
(12-11-2016 04:09 PM)Aractus Wrote:  How do you know he's "not stable emotionally"? Obama showed the same zeal when he ran in 2008 - don't believe everything you read.

I had occasion, several years ago, to seriously research malignant narcissism. Pure coincidence and it's been over ten years so I may not be up to date on all that is known now. If you research this, and then look at the things Trump has said so far - there is no room for doubt. And no, I am not going back and finding quotes, if it interests you, look for yourself. It is not a matter I want to go back into, it takes some deeper digging to find proper research on it.

This is nothing I read recently or about Trump. Far as I know no one else had labelled him a malignant narcissist - oops, no, there is a professor who is collecting all of Trump's speeches as examples of classical malignant narcissism. So, he said it too.

There is a huge difference between a malignant narcissist and a run of the mill narcissist. The malignant variety is dangerous, the plain variety is not.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-11-2016, 04:46 PM
(12-11-2016 04:18 PM)Dom Wrote:  I had occasion, several years ago, to seriously research malignant narcissism.

Right so first you're stigmatising narcissism, and then you're using what you know about it to diagnose people in the public eye, and then judge them for having a disease that isn't their fault. If he is narcissistic then I'm sure that he has ways to treat the symptoms of his disease.

It's an unhealthy obsession that Americans have consonantly diagnosing people in the public eye, and drawing conclusions about their health.

My Blog
12-11-2016, 04:58 PM
I don't think Americans are the only people who take an interest in the mental health their head of state. It's a bit of a stretch to extend that as an indictment of how we feel about the mentally ill in general. He's not some guy who's being restrained but treated in a mental health facility. He now has the power to destroy millions and maybe billions of lives. It's kind of our business.
[+] 4 users Like I'mFred's post
12-11-2016, 05:03 PM
(11-11-2016 02:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have never suffered from depression. I have been sad at times, or melancholy, and I have done more than my share of grieving, but these things were not the paralyzing disinterest in life I see as depression.

Well, this thing with Trump has me depressed. Seeing good friends fight is sad. But Trump reaches me on a gut level - I think of plain fear.

Having grown up in post-war Germany, I have heard many, many first hand tales, from the general population in Germany, from ex-Nazis, and from Jews. And when it comes down to the bottom line, the survivors pretty much all had the same basic experience - fear, despair, losing loved ones in horrific ways. It happened to everyone across the board.

Now, maybe I am paranoid (also not a normal trait of mine) but Trump has said so many very scary things - if he is at all able to actually do any of them, it will be a scary, scary world here in the US, and in Europe as well.

Bottom line - I have trouble functioning since I heard the news. I am going to try to go shopping today, which I need to do, but I bet I will postpone it again. I have postponed everything since the election. I can't stop watching news and commentaries and reading everything I can get my hands on. Normally that is how I deal with issues - inform myself.

This time it actually works against me.

My advice is you turn this attitude around. Do this by taking up the fight. As Mum said, write letters, protest, speak out. Start you own political party. Why not?

The problem for Germany was too many parties which became chaos and allowed Hitler in. These parties were disorganised. Do the opposite.

Good luck.

Trump is a cancer that must be fought.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-11-2016, 05:16 PM
(12-11-2016 04:58 PM)ImFred Wrote:  He's not some guy who's being restrained but treated in a mental health facility.

Well it's a part of the culture that doesn't exist here as a part of our Australian culture, that's all I meant. Sorry if it came off a little strong. I saw all kinds of wild claims about Hillary's health as well - that just wouldn't happen here. Also note that mental health institutionalisation is really a thing of the past now.

I think the main area of concern for ordinary Americans is that the policies pushed by his party typically favour the wealthy. That's why I highlighted earlier that Cruz would have been much worse with his 10% flat income tax and 19% GST. Nothing Trump has suggested he will do about tax comes anywhere close to that level of inequity.

My Blog
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post