Depression?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2016, 05:29 PM
RE: Depression?
(12-11-2016 05:16 PM)Aractus Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 04:58 PM)ImFred Wrote:  He's not some guy who's being restrained but treated in a mental health facility.

Well it's a part of the culture that doesn't exist here as a part of our Australian culture, that's all I meant. Sorry if it came off a little strong. I saw all kinds of wild claims about Hillary's health as well - that just wouldn't happen here. Also note that mental health institutionalisation is really a thing of the past now.

I think the main area of concern for ordinary Americans is that the policies pushed by his party typically favour the wealthy. That's why I highlighted earlier that Cruz would have been much worse with his 10% flat income tax and 19% GST. Nothing Trump has suggested he will do about tax comes anywhere close to that level of inequity.

You are new here. This is the personal issues and support section, and this thread is about depression. Please read the forum rules, this section is closely moderated. If I want to discuss malignant narcissism and Trump, I will start a thread in the discussion areas. Or you can and I may engage. But, if you don't have anything to say about handling depression, you are posting in the wrong section.

That said, I am not worried about taxes. I don't think any of Trump's political statements or mentioned policies matter at all. He has no political agenda except for whatever favors he wants to grant to those worthy of his benevolence. If he thinks Cruz is worthy, he will allow these taxes to happen. If Cruz annoys him, he will try to stick it to Cruz. It doesn't matter to Trump.

Anyway, if you want to discuss Trump and taxes, please do so in the discussion areas.

If you have any feedback on depression, this is the place for that.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-11-2016, 05:31 PM
(12-11-2016 04:46 PM)Aractus Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 04:18 PM)Dom Wrote:  I had occasion, several years ago, to seriously research malignant narcissism.

Right so first you're stigmatising narcissism, and then you're using what you know about it to diagnose people in the public eye, and then judge them for having a disease that isn't their fault. If he is narcissistic then I'm sure that he has ways to treat the symptoms of his disease.

It's an unhealthy obsession that Americans have consonantly diagnosing people in the public eye, and drawing conclusions about their health.

There is no treatment for malignant narcissism.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Quote:Also note that mental health institutionalisation is really a thing of the past now.

Not where I live. I know of two 24 hour mental health facilities within walking distance of where I am right now. One of them is right across the street from the local county jail and the other is positioned near a couple of "the projects". The former, for better or worse, holds many people against their will.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
12-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Quote:I highlighted earlier that Cruz would have been much worse with his 10% flat income tax and 19% GST. Nothing Trump has suggested he will do about tax comes anywhere close to that level of inequity.

Tax code? Really?

The white Idi Amin just became the most powerful person on earth and you're still thinking about tax codes. Wow.
12-11-2016, 05:48 PM
(12-11-2016 05:43 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:I highlighted earlier that Cruz would have been much worse with his 10% flat income tax and 19% GST. Nothing Trump has suggested he will do about tax comes anywhere close to that level of inequity.

Tax code? Really?

The white Idi Amin just became the most powerful person on earth and you're still thinking about tax codes. Wow.

While I agree with you, this is still the personal issues and support section and it is quite moderated. Oddly, I am moderating my own thread here and so am not posting in my official capacity. Anyway, you are right in my opinion, but lets get back to talking about depression.

12-11-2016, 06:06 PM
(11-11-2016 07:05 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Dom

There are levels of depression that are so severe that you would actually be glad Trump won because deep deep depression can destroy you so completely you become nihilistic to the point of having destroyed all sense of compassion. There's a depression so devastating that suicide is just too much damn trouble. I'm not cut out to really judge severity and what's situational and what's brutal raw brain chemistry simply malfunctioning. Caring a lot can really hurt. And sometimes with depression it doesn't matter what it is, something will be crushing you even if you have to stretch to find it. Apathy my seem like relief but it's not. It's a cold wasteland of despair. Whatever the case, if you feel like something is wrong, I suggest telling a doctor. Good luck.

I really felt like that was a thoughtful reply but it didn't illicit any follow up. I've been fighting depression for years. At its worse for me, I've been almost completely crippled by it.
12-11-2016, 06:19 PM
(12-11-2016 05:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  If you have any feedback on depression, this is the place for that.

Well if you want to know my opinion, I think in this context the depression is likely social. People were told repeatedly to expect a Clinton victory, and that Trump would be the antithesis of everything a President should be. They didn't expect to have to accept this election result. That's led to a kind of social panic at the moment.

I guess the best advice I could give you is to think of stress as your friend:

It's called Eustress - i.e. your body is preparing you to conquer a great obstacle. The more stress you have, the more prepared you are for this challenge. Smile

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Aractus's post
12-11-2016, 07:13 PM
I think the main mistake I've made here is my posts have been too self-centered for the personal issues forum.

Dom

Realizing how far you are from the mainstream can be alienating and depressing. It's like time after time this fucking world without fail disappoints you. It gets to the point where you look at humanity and you start thinking goddamn I don't even want to be in anyway associated with any of this shit, up to and including existance.

Like I said before, if you feel like you're leaning toward that kind of mindset try to get professional help. For some people, situational or not, it keeps cycling downward.
13-11-2016, 04:05 AM
I'm also scared about his victory and about what he now has the potential to do. But, I try to rationalize it :
he said a lot of things to get elected, but will he apply all of them ? Maybe not, he probably knows some of them while just bring big international tensions, and it might make things worse for him, considering he is narcissistic and wants to be remembered as a "a good president" (he already talked about "8 years" during his speech, and kept telling "maybe you'll be proud of me"), I don't think he would want to commit big blunders that plunge the world into chaos.
Also, he will get counseled, he is going to have a team. Ok, maybe a team of big assholes like him, but at least competent people who could refrain too catastrophic decisions.

I know he has a lot of similarities with how Hitler came to power (like he also exploited people fear to get elected). But the situation is different that in the 30s.
Look at the world now ? How many people would follow blindly a leader if that leader is going to plunge the world into a war. If you look at the world how it is now, and compare
it to how it was even just 50 years ago, you see so much improvement in people. Yes, the world is far from perfect, but a lot of people have evolved the good way.
So, we can hope that history won't repeat itself because people have evolved, and the world has evolved.

That fact that he came to power shows one thing : though the world has "globally" evolved in a good way during the last century, we are now in the middle of a crises.
Nationalism is stronger in a lot of countries. This situation was likely to happen, and maybe the fact that it happened will be the shock that makes people wake up and realize it wasn't a good solution. Like discovering the tumor before it spreads and that the cancer infects the whole planet. And it is only 4 years. So maybe those 4 years will be very bad for America, but maybe they will turn out a necessary shock for the world to take a new fresh start in 4 years.

So, try not to worry too much now, your worry won't change anything, and maybe things won't turn as bad as they look.

Also, I agree with the previous comments : you can turn this situation into a goal for you. Voice your disagreement, make people realize how important it is that he doesn't get elected again. I have some experience with depression (and anxiety), and whenever I manage to find a goal to follow, it makes me focus on something else and it helps a lot. So if you manage to turn this situation into a goal, not only you would feel better about it, but you can also feel useful about it (if you want of course, but I really think it could help).
[+] 2 users Like Sturm's post
13-11-2016, 04:36 AM
(13-11-2016 04:05 AM)Sturm Wrote:  I know he has a lot of similarities with how Hitler came to power (like he also exploited people fear to get elected). But the situation is different that in the 30s.
Look at the world now ? How many people would follow blindly a leader if that leader is going to plunge the world into a war. If you look at the world how it is now, and compare

Just to give you a reference for scope, 3.8 million Axis military men invaded Russia 22 June 1941. Over 3 million German.

Between 6 and 7 million men lost during the 1st 12 months of the Great patriotic war. This number is military, not including civilian losses.

How many, you wonder?

How many took part in the Chinese revolution?

How many died at the hands of the Mongols?

How many is irrelevant.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.