Depression and Anxiety Creeping Back

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Depression and Anxiety Creeping Back
Hi all.

About 3 years ago or so, I was suffering from depression and what was basically generalized anxiety (not really triggered by specific events or circumstances). I started seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist, who put me on Lexapro and clonazapam and Ambien as needed. The meds worked, with the typical side effects for a SSRI, and the pyschologist really helped me work through some issues, a lot of it revolving around leaving religion.

So, anyway, I had stopped therapy about a year ago or so, but continued with the psychiatrist until about 4 months ago. He was no longer going to be on my insurance plan, and I wanted to try to get off of the Lexapro (it had been almost 3 years). I tapered off slowly, and other than some physical sensation side effects, it went ok. I was feeling pretty good for about 3 months.

But now, in the last three weeks or so, I have really started to notice symptoms of depression again, and some real bouts of anxiety, and even a couple approaching panic. Right now I'm hanging on through the roughest parts, but it's getting tough.

Should I go back on a SSRI? Are there any known long term issues with being on them? Should I consider that I may just have to be on a low dosage level my whole life?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 01:15 PM
RE: Depression and Anxiety Creeping Back
I was put on Lexapro almost five years ago. After a lot of struggles and issues my dad died and I needed some help. Good thing, I suppose, that I started taking it as six months later I was diagnosed with breast cancer. After getting through the first few months of that, I stopped the Lexapro on my own. I have spent the rest of the time going on and off and on and off it. this past December I decided I needed to start it again and I plan to stay on it. I take a low dose and don't have much in the way of side effects.

And, ya know, it is about three months that seems to be when things start to crumble again after stopping.

Lexapro works for me. Maybe you could ask about trying a lower dose or a different drug. Everyone responds differently to different formulations.

As for now, I take my Lexapro every night...faithfully...uh, religiously, no, no...like clockwork...that's it.

Good luck and try not to be so anti meds since you already know they help you. Better living through chemistry and all that.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
11-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Being on a low dose permanently really isn't a big deal at all. As long as the side effects are mild and tolerable to you, I would say keep taking the SSRI. You may also find in time (depending on where you live) that you can reduce your dose in the summertime.

There are some possible long term effects, and you should carefully research the specific effects of the meds you are taking. Then it comes down to a simple decision: do the negative effects of this medication outweigh being happy? The answer, for most, is an easy conclusion.

A lot of people have the desire to get off of depression meds, and that is VERY understandable. But the problem is, some circumstances warrant long term/permanent medication. When that's the case (as it may be here) it's important to change the way you think of the meds. It's difficult to shed the idea the your ultimate goal is to stop the medication, and that tends to give some people a feeling of failure. But when they see it from a different perspective, they realize that it's not failure, it's just a different goal; to get the right balance.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Hey Mere.

I am in some ways in the same situation as yourself, I suffer from depression and have been on medication myself. I have not suffered from anxiety or panic attacks though.

Im quite biased in that I am determined not to go back on medication. However I can not disagree with what Anj and Stark have said and would urge you to get some advice from your doctor about your options of returning back to medication.

I would like to recommend this guy to you. Joseph Clough. You can download an app to your smartphone of his via his website or find him on app stores. He has many many free podcasts and talks on different coping mechanisms and understanding the process your mind goes through in differing scenarios.

I have been using "anchoring" techniques on myself for about two months and his video on this is one of the best I have seen up to now.

I hope there is something of his that can help you and can compliment any advice/actions your doctor recommends. Keep us posted and remember this community is always here for you.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
12-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Thanks all. I guess I have had a bias of wanting to get off the meds. I'm just concerned about long term issues from being on SSRIs for a long period of time. What I can find seems to be mixed on whether there are potential problems. I will be setting up an appointment with a new doc to discuss options.

Thanks for the tip on Joseph Clough, bemore. I will watch the video and let you know if it helps.

Cheers.
[+] 2 users Like meremortal's post
12-02-2014, 09:35 AM
(12-02-2014 09:32 AM)meremortal Wrote:  Thanks all. I guess I have had a bias of wanting to get off the meds. I'm just concerned about long term issues from being on SSRIs for a long period of time. What I can find seems to be mixed on whether there are potential problems. I will be setting up an appointment with a new doc to discuss options.

Thanks for the tip on Joseph Clough, bemore. I will watch the video and let you know if it helps.

Cheers.

Glad to hear that you are going to check with your doctor. Feel better! Smile

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
12-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Yes, ofc, check with your doctor. But do you really want to live your life chemically happy?
Fighting a symptom is 1 thing.
Fixing the rootcause is quite another.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
12-02-2014, 02:58 PM
(12-02-2014 02:55 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Yes, ofc, check with your doctor. But do you really want to live your life chemically happy?
Why not? If you have 70 or so years to live any method will do.
12-02-2014, 03:07 PM
(12-02-2014 02:58 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(12-02-2014 02:55 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Yes, ofc, check with your doctor. But do you really want to live your life chemically happy?
Why not? If you have 70 or so years to live any method will do.

That sounds like addiction to me.
You would be unable to function without it.
Could you find some solace in a supportgroup?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.