Depression and Unpleasant Truths

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: Depression and Unpleasant Truths
(08-01-2014 12:55 PM)NoraBrimstone Wrote:  There's a book called Depressive Illness: The Curse of the Strong by Tim Cantopher that I recommend. I think it will answer all your questions. I have MDD myself, and it helped me understand what was going on in my brain when I was at my worst.

Hey Thanks! I absolutely adore books of all kinds. I will be sure to read it.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post
13-01-2014, 02:53 PM
(08-01-2014 01:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I think it's a little unfair to assume that everyone can 'fix' themselves and that some people don't need antidepressants. There is still such a stigma about taking any kind of medication to treat depression that comments like this add to the number of people who don't get the help that's available. Proper use of medications can not only keep people from going into a suicidal funk but can also just help make life worth living by balancing things out in the brain.

I see two topics that seem to come up. One is that you should pull yourself up and just handle it. The other is the idea that if you start on an antidepressant you will have to take more and more and you will have to take it forever. Neither are accurate.

Sometimes a bit of pharmaceutical help can get a person back on track. Things from hormonal changes to major life events can throw a person off kilter. Think of the women that have killed their babies due to post partum depression - medication probably could have been used for a few months till their hormones and all other chemicals were back on track.

The fear that many people have of taking these types of meds just doesn't make sense to me. There are things out there that can help either by themselves or combined with counseling and figuring out new ways to help yourself. The pills aren't magic but they can definitely help. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to find the right one as we all react and respond differently.

I hate to see the use of meds put down...sometimes it's the way to get the little boost you need to break through.

You know, I hoped to be able to express myself without putting anyone down, but the more I think about it, the more I realize how unfair I am being on this topic.

I want to apologize to anyone who feels that I have disparaging their use of medication for depression. I don't think it was right of me to suggest that people merely "suck it up".

Honestly, I can't help but admit that during my struggle to regain my life, after my abuse, I was deeply afraid of losing control of myself. I feared that needing so much help from others, especially from medication, meant that I was incredibly weak. So weak indeed, that I deserve the fate I was faced with, for not being strong enough to resist it.

As a result of this emotionally Darwinist attitude, I never took a single pill, when I probably should have. That being the case, I can't really offer up any advice on medication at all. I wouldn't know any of the effects from personal experience.

The short of it is, I am sorry. Thank you very much for the information.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
13-01-2014, 02:55 PM
(11-01-2014 04:21 AM)Thanh Wrote:  I've been feeling the same way as you Dark Phoenix, minus the unhealthy home environment, and minus the therapy or medication. It's been going on for years and what I do is occupy my time off work trying to be creative, as if that was my sole purpose on this world. The only moment when I don't feel depressed is when I'm making something (writing, drawing, playing music, building something with my hands).

The only explanation I have for this phenomenon is that, humans used to have to be active in order to survive, or else they'd be sitting ducks for predators in the wild. Depression is the lingering anxiety that death should be upon us if we're not being usefull in any way.

It's nice to know that I was never alone. Thanks for you comment.

-Karl Marx
13-01-2014, 02:58 PM
(11-01-2014 05:41 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 12:48 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Although religious people get depressed, I doubt they get depressed specifically because they are entirely sure of their lack of purpose on Earth.

http://purposedriven.com/books/pdlbook/#purpose

Don't be so sure yet. There are a lot of religion based self help books besides Warren's, and the people who buy them are religious people who feel a lack of purpose.

You have a very good point. I can't say that Atheism necessitates depression. Lack of purpose is obviously universal.

That being the case, I can't help but notice one major difference. The book in this link has clear answers and solutions for some one lacking in purpose. They have a "script" for life. Atheists have to have at least enough courage and intelligence to create their own.

-Karl Marx
13-01-2014, 03:01 PM
(11-01-2014 07:02 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 12:48 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I think you can understand where I am coming from.

I understand a lot of what you have wrote. If you have been reading the threads here recently you may have come across my "empty feeling" thread.

My views on anti-depressants are that they are an essential tool in treating people who are suicidal or who are leading a lifestyle that will kill them sooner rather than later who want to change. They have given me a "boost" in the past when I have taken them and have been a stepping stone to me sorting my own shit out my own way.

The reason why I do not wish to take them now, nor seem them as a long term solution is because I have taken Ecstasy before. The anit-ds I have taken in the past, to me, are very very very mild Ecstasy tablets. They gave me slight rushes, jaw clenching and a feeling of being "dosed"... the only thing it lacked was the huge euphoria. Over the few months I took them the symptoms did decrease slightly but never went away and whilst others may just adapt to them I am more conscious of them.

What the tablets do not change is your circumstances, the personal relationship you have with yourself nor your world view and for years I had self medicated with weed and other illegal drugs to mask my problem. If longterm nothing changes in positive steps in peoples lifes or complacency kicks in I have experienced for myself and seen peoples dependency increase on drugs.... including anti depressants.

We are all hard wired through our psychology and our view on the future is nothing more than a reflection of our past. How you see this is entirely up to you and your moments of reality can be consciously changed if you are mindful of them.

Did you notice a difference between your experience while taking illegal drugs VS. Anti-Depressants?

-Karl Marx
13-01-2014, 04:01 PM
I think I explained this somewhere else here but my doctor explained the cause (even though we don't know if for sure) a little differently than as a chemical imbalance. I deal more with anxiety but in his explanation, people with anxiety and depression are lacking enough of the chemicals that enable other people to rebound from stress. I've found this to be incredibly true, in my case. Significant stress can set off a nasty episode that can last for months. I've learned to continue taking my meds in good times and bad, no excuses because without them I know I won't be able to deal with the hard things that come up in life. I don't feel over the moon, or ecstatic all the time on drugs, and that's not the point. My meds just makes me feel normal. Also, it took lots of trial and error to find a cocktail that was right now me so don't give up.

Drugs have downsides and people seem to be quick to jump on the "drugs are bad, pharmaceutical greed, hardeeharhar" but they have literally saved my sanity so I say if you need them, don't hesitate. I will add, that when I was at my worst, I literally didn't see the point of treating my illness and was reluctant to see a doctor. Just throwing that out there. If something's wrong, override that urge to wallow in it and get help.
[+] 1 user Likes jaxx's post
13-01-2014, 04:11 PM
(13-01-2014 03:01 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Did you notice a difference between your experience while taking illegal drugs VS. Anti-Depressants?

They were different mindsets at the time personally for me and each drug affects you differently.

Whats different about Anti-d's is the circumstances in which you take them are not normally "recreational" and you often have it to accompany different changes you may make in your life versus recreational drugs that have a shorter timespan.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.