Depression support: It's not a "Cry for Help"

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
21-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Depression support: It's not a "Cry for Help"
Found this on the 'net:

[Image: axj4992_700b_v1_zpstpuvqjyu.jpg]

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
21-05-2016, 08:07 AM
RE: Depression support: It's not a "Cry for Help"
I got sticks, lots of sticks. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
21-05-2016, 08:41 AM
(21-05-2016 08:07 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I got sticks, lots of sticks. Smile

Hur hur Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-05-2016, 09:12 AM
(21-05-2016 07:48 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Found this on the 'net:

I'll be fine; I'm trained in On-Site Procurement of weapons, resources and other equipment.
[Image: 269906-shinkawa_mgs1_snake.jpg]

That means I don't take meds.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
21-05-2016, 09:18 AM
(21-05-2016 07:48 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Found this on the 'net:

I have anxiety and depression issues myself. I was bullied as as a kid and didn't have my first friend until high school. I get to speak on this. This is also a utopia meme. It isn't as simple as "buck it up, you're tougher than you think"

It does not help being educated, supported and able bodied, having the rest of society demonize you for having mental illness. I suffer to this day from trust issues. It also doesn't help having society be judgmental about your sex, your class, and "be a man" and being told at every turn you are a loser for needing help or being supported.

YOU are also over simplifying things. In reality, it isn't as neat as you'd like to paint it either. In reality it is a prison, and this simplistic meme is an oversimplification of very complex problems.

You can't cure it, you can only manage it and even with that, it isn't about class or always moving up, it can only be about managing it. I accepted my self first, and I refuse, even to this day, to try to fit someone else's script. I still have my baggage, but even this is too simplistic.

The only place anyone should get advice about depression is by being diagnosed by a professional. And even then, each person manages it differently.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post
21-05-2016, 11:22 AM
(21-05-2016 09:18 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  YOU are also over simplifying things. In reality, it isn't as neat as you'd like to paint it either. In reality it is a prison, and this simplistic meme is an oversimplification of very complex problems.

I did not create this meme. I am propagating it. It's not much of difference, but it is a difference. (basically, I think it's good and I don't want to take credit for something I didn't do.)

While I cannot speak for the actual creator, I can give you what I take from it.

I think the meme is advising one to reach out for help when needed. I think it is an attempt to remove the stigma associated with mental illness, and the additional stigma of weakness instilled in males. I think it is an attempt to motivate someone in crisis to seek help.

I agree that it only addresses one aspect of depression/anxiety. Whether this makes it an oversimplification or not is up to you.

(21-05-2016 09:18 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  The only place anyone should get advice about depression is by being diagnosed by a professional. And even then, each person manages it differently.

I think that if you look at the mental illness threads on this forum, most if not all will contain the advice to seek professional help. All of the mental illness threads that I have participated in, have had that advice, along with offers of compassion, empathy, sympathy and support.

I am 47 years old. I had my first anxiety attack when I was 4. My issues were not diagnosed or understood until I was in my mid-twenties. Successful and consistent treatment was not achieved until my early thirties.

If someone had understood my depression earlier, I may not have had to deal with it for 20+ years before beginning treatment. Just having someone tell you what it is can help. Hearing someone talk about an anxiety attack and hearing them say things you felt is incredible. Sometimes all you can do is talk and listen.

For whatever all that is worth, I guess.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
21-05-2016, 11:29 AM
(21-05-2016 11:22 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 09:18 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  YOU are also over simplifying things. In reality, it isn't as neat as you'd like to paint it either. In reality it is a prison, and this simplistic meme is an oversimplification of very complex problems.

I did not create this meme. I am propagating it. It's not much of difference, but it is a difference. (basically, I think it's good and I don't want to take credit for something I didn't do.)

While I cannot speak for the actual creator, I can give you what I take from it.

I think the meme is advising one to reach out for help when needed. I think it is an attempt to remove the stigma associated with mental illness, and the additional stigma of weakness instilled in males. I think it is an attempt to motivate someone in crisis to seek help.

I agree that it only addresses one aspect of depression/anxiety. Whether this makes it an oversimplification or not is up to you.

(21-05-2016 09:18 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  The only place anyone should get advice about depression is by being diagnosed by a professional. And even then, each person manages it differently.

I think that if you look at the mental illness threads on this forum, most if not all will contain the advice to seek professional help. All of the mental illness threads that I have participated in, have had that advice, along with offers of compassion, empathy, sympathy and support.

I am 47 years old. I had my first anxiety attack when I was 4. My issues were not diagnosed or understood until I was in my mid-twenties. Successful and consistent treatment was not achieved until my early thirties.

If someone had understood my depression earlier, I may not have had to deal with it for 20+ years before beginning treatment. Just having someone tell you what it is can help. Hearing someone talk about an anxiety attack and hearing them say things you felt is incredible. Sometimes all you can do is talk and listen.

For whatever all that is worth, I guess.

Talking about it is all I'm willing to do. I would not medicate even if it was suggested unless I got to a point I could not function so.... talking about it with others, professional and otherwise is a wonderful thing. It's helped me a lot and keeps me from having to medicate.

I liked the meme, my friends are my sticks. Hug

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post