Depression.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2013, 07:37 AM
RE: Depression.
This is part of the viciousness of religious indoctrination at childhood. When you are taught from childhood that you are worthless unless you believe certain dogma and later you can non longer ignore reason, maintain your delusions and finally have to be honest with yourself you have a massive letdown. It's not easy when your entire world view comes crashing down and realizing you've been lied to your entire life from well meaning parents who think they're doing the right thing by passing on the religion virus.

I find that it helps to realize you are not alone in this. Imagine being in the clergy and a pastor of a chruch and losing your faith and becoming a fraud right before your own congregation as you preach something you know is bullshit. Google "clergy project" and see what they go through. I know just saying "snap out of it" is ridiculous but try and concentrate on living for the moment.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. – Thomas Paine
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like MrBean's post
25-04-2013, 12:26 PM
If someone could delete this thread it would appreciated. Just realized it's traceable back to me via Google due to my profile name. Thanks.
25-04-2013, 02:03 PM
(19-11-2012 03:17 AM)littlejssn Wrote:  I joined an atheist forum to discuss this one topic. I used to be religious. Even after I rejected my faith, until the very recent past I considered myself to be agnostic, but with a pretty heavy emphasis on the conceptualizing god part of that. I even went through a new age phase when I started taking hallucinogens, thought I was channeling spirits and having pre-cognitive experiences, astral voyaging, the whole bit. Though that shit really leaves me scratching my head sometimes, most of the time I'm willing to accept that I was probably delusional in some way. Who knows. But anyway, at this point in my life I can certainly say that my mind mostly runs on an atheist operating system...and it's hard. I've had trouble with depression all of my life, but the problems I face with an atheist perspective definitely trump everything else. You have no idea how comfortable the belief that you're going to live forever truly is. But really, I have no idea how to motivate myself to do anything, to find meaning in anything. I've become completely obsessed with the concept of death. It feels in my mind as if I already am dead. How can any event in anyone's life hold any sense of value; pain, happiness or otherwise, if it all ends in absolute nothingness? I talk to a lot of people about this, and their general reflex is to say something along the lines of that quote, "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, what a ride!" which just sounds like rhetoric to me. When I die, all of those memories will not be preserved in any way shape or form. It's like saying you won a million dollars, and before you got to spend any of it you got robbed, and you go around saying, "well damn, at least that time when I had the million bucks was pretty cool!" The smile etched into your face when you're lying in your grave will literally mean nothing, because you'll be nothing. Whatever impact you've had on this earth will mean nothing, because it too will one day parish, and it will be as if it will never had existed in the first place.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Assuming there are some more experienced atheists in this forum, I'd appreciate any advice from those who struggle with this issue. I'm well aware of how cliche this question is, but it remains unresolved in my head anyway. Please help if you can.[/font]

You are not alone! I face many of the same problems. I also suffer depression. Many athiests claim they don't fear death. I do! I lost my Mother and Father within the past three years. Many other family members as well. I have become obsessed with dying. I have no real comfort to offer you. Death won't be a bad thing, in the sence that we've already been dead. Before we were born. I don't want to cease to exist, but I will. You will. I'm trying to learn to live every day, but I have to admit that I haven't gotten there yet! Those who "Believe" face the same fate as we do. So, why struggle on? Because what we do is important for those who follow us. Our lives are short. Let's not let religion continue to constrain, intimidate and murder our fellow passengers.