Derren Brown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Derren Brown
Been watching some of Derren Brown's stuff and been impressed. Any nuggets on how he does his oracle act?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2013, 11:52 PM
RE: Derren Brown
(22-01-2013 11:40 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Been watching some of Derren Brown's stuff and been impressed. Any nuggets on how he does his oracle act?
It's magic!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Well yeah, I figured as much. But how much of his shit is real? He is pretty impressive. Does he use a fake audience?

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
23-01-2013, 12:12 AM
I guess i figured from a dude who dedicated so much of his life to making sure that people didn't fall for false shit, someone here might have an insight into how he does his weirder acts. Thought it might be lively discussion.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
23-01-2013, 06:08 AM
I LOVE Derren Brown. I got most of his DVDs.

From what I can gather he doesn't use fake audiences, actors, or stooges (unless he specifically says someone is an actor). He claims to achieve what he does by using methods such as psychology, suggestion, misdirection, and showmanship. I think he's honest when he says that.

What's your favourite work of his?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
23-01-2013, 08:44 AM
I've just recently gotten into him, just watched fear and faith episode 2. When he gets the girl Natalie to have her "religious experience" was pretty cool. It hit close to home. Having been a Christian most of my life and "experiencing god" so many times, it was neat to see someone experience it so completely knowing that it was all just in her mind.
After I deconverted I spent some time thinking about those times and rationalizing it just like that. But it was cool to have that directly reinforced.

23-01-2013, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2013 02:37 PM by Dark Light.)
(23-01-2013 06:08 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I LOVE Derren Brown. I got most of his DVDs.

From what I can gather he doesn't use fake audiences, actors, or stooges (unless he specifically says someone is an actor). He claims to achieve what he does by using methods such as psychology, suggestion, misdirection, and showmanship. I think he's honest when he says that.

What's your favourite work of his?
I particularly thought the chess match he set up was brilliant, I also like his thieving bits and the way he tied together his on stage show (can't remember the name) which concluded after the Daily Mail was torn up (tore up?) not to give anything away to folks who haven't seen it.

Also, why is this not in the entertainment section?

edit: Got confused, there is another thread in entertainment about DB, you were asking how he does what he does...He usually prefaces it with what Hughsie says, and I think for most of his stunts, tricks, etc is on the level, but I would also not be surprised if some of his specials included genuine lies to the audience and post-edits/camera tricks.

23-01-2013, 02:34 PM
I recently watched an episode where he tried to use hypnosis to get someone to assassinate Stephen Fry. That was pretty cool.

[Image: opforum1.png]
23-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Why is this not in the entertainment section? Because I'm new here and still learning the ins and outs, the what have you's. I do apologize, good call.

23-01-2013, 02:50 PM
I get how he does a lot of his stuff, suggestion and understanding of the psyche. But when he does the twenty questions bit and pulls the most arbitrary answers out of thin air, I just can't see how he does it. If it's completely on the level I'm baffled and amazed.