Derren Brown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2013, 03:21 PM
RE: Derren Brown
(23-01-2013 02:50 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I get how he does a lot of his stuff, suggestion and understanding of the psyche. But when he does the twenty questions bit and pulls the most arbitrary answers out of thin air, I just can't see how he does it. If it's completely on the level I'm baffled and amazed.
I think part of the fun is in not knowing...it makes you think, question. I don't think all of it is on the level...he 'earns' your trust by doing MOST things on the level, then the throws some really cool stuff at you that's sketchy, but you trust him. He has been honest with you so far, why wouldn't you trust him? That's what I think...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2013, 03:52 PM
I'd tend to agree with you DL. I guess I just think it would be awesome to know that there is someone out there who is that badass. Then again, you're right. If I knew then it wouldn't be nearly as impressive or fun to watch.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
30-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Derren Brown is brilliant. He is up there with James Randi in educating the public about how easily they can get fooled using trickery. Id like to see him asked to attend some Atheist conventions.

"Nothing Great is Easy" - Des Renford (English Channel Swimmer)
30-01-2013, 08:55 PM
(30-01-2013 08:47 PM)Endurance Swimmer Wrote:  Derren Brown is brilliant. He is up there with James Randi in educating the public about how easily they can get fooled using trickery. Id like to see him asked to attend some Atheist conventions.

I'd like it if he got a bit of attention in America. I think having a show like his air on American TV would be wonderful for the mindless public. Maybe he has somewhere, but I had never heard of him before I became an atheist.
30-01-2013, 09:37 PM
He's clever. I just watched the video on you tube of him paying for stuff with blank slates of paper instead of bills. He keeps talking and keeps them thinking so their conscious attention is not directed at the money, and they treat it like a regular transaction. Hilarious.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

10-02-2013, 02:56 PM
He wrote a book a few years ago, I haven't read it yet and I had to get it second-hand because it is out of print, but it might have some insight.

Also, try doing a search for "Derren Brown reading list" or "book list", I had seen a list going around a while back on books recommended by DB.
10-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Thread moved.

Cause this isn't skepticism, pseudoscience, and conspiracy theories... this is real illusion. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
10-02-2013, 04:11 PM
I don't know much about Darren Brown but from what I've seen, he seems pretty cool. I want to know more about his study of hypnosis - I'm gonna look for his books. Thumbsup

I think Chris Angel is a good illusionist and means well but I think he rides a lot on hype and the flashier illusions. And he's all pretty-boy-Hollywood so, meh.

My current favorite illusionist is Steven Frayne. He goes by the name Dynamo. I saw a documentary about him and he appears to be just the sweetest guy... and a hell of an illusionist. Shy

I love magicians; me and Houdini go waaaaay back. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
17-07-2013, 08:50 PM
(23-01-2013 08:44 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I've just recently gotten into him, just watched fear and faith episode 2. When he gets the girl Natalie to have her "religious experience" was pretty cool. It hit close to home. Having been a Christian most of my life and "experiencing god" so many times, it was neat to see someone experience it so completely knowing that it was all just in her mind.
After I deconverted I spent some time thinking about those times and rationalizing it just like that. But it was cool to have that directly reinforced.

I watched this segment recently and thought it was incredibly fake. I'm a girl and I know crying. When I cry, liquid comes out of my eyes and nose. Any tissue I might use gets, accordingly, wet. Sorry, but I found the whole religious experience thing to be total BS. This guy is a charlatan, using his magician's techniques and playing on the popularity of atheism.