Desalination Plants in California

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Desalination Plants in California
Well, we are in our 3rd of drought and hearing about a new desal plant being built in the San Diego area, it's about 30% complete.

Then hearing that the Desal plant in Santa Barbara is being re-booted to operate again, it's been shut down for 2 decades as we've been OK with water...but it's pretty crummy critical now....

So if anyone cares, this is the latest on this climate change stuff.....is it all a blip or here for who knows how long.....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2014, 01:10 PM
RE: Desalination Plants in California
California is a desert -- especially the souther areas. Despite the homes with nice green lawns...and pretty palm trees.

Or now I suppose many lawns are brown.

The biggest issue is over-population and over-building by municipalies the were short sighted.

This has been an issue since the late 1970s when water reserves were allowed to diminish to crisis point -- several mild winters without Sierra snowpack didn't help. That drought continued until the early 8Os.

California has been too slow to respond to these issues and when they should have been a leader in that area. The biggest problem is when the rains finally return and the lawns are again green, people forget. They don't want to restrict water useage when it seems there is plenty.

They really want to hose off their driveways. Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-09-2014, 01:45 PM
(11-09-2014 01:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  California is a desert -- especially the souther areas. Despite the homes with nice green lawns...and pretty palm trees.

The biggest issue is over-population and over-building by municipalies the were short sighted.

This has been an issue since the late 1970s when water reserves were allowed to diminish to crisis point -- several mild winters without Sierra snowpack didn't help. That drought continued until the early 8Os.

California has been too slow to respond to these issues and when they should have been a leader in that area. The biggest problem is when the rains finally return and the lawns are again green, people forget. They don't want to restrict water useage when it seems there is plenty.

It's not really desert - it's mediterranean, for the most part. The northwest is rainforest! Except the inland southeast, that is desert...

Agriculture in the central valley is a much bigger user of water than all the private lawns put together.

... this is my signature!
11-09-2014, 01:50 PM
It's totally NUTS that there ISN'T a long string of desal plants up and down the coast.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-09-2014, 02:19 PM
(11-09-2014 01:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's totally NUTS that there ISN'T a long string of desal plants up and down the coast.

Yes, but you see, desalinisation costs money.

Whereas mortgaging the future on empty aquifers costs nothing.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
11-09-2014, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2014 02:29 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(11-09-2014 01:45 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 01:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  California is a desert -- especially the souther areas. Despite the homes with nice green lawns...and pretty palm trees.

It's not really desert - it's mediterranean, for the most part. The northwest is rainforest! Except the inland southeast, that is desert...

Agriculture in the central valley is a much bigger user of water than all the private lawns put together.

Yes, I do understand that. Smile way northern third of the state is more rain forest, but over all it's more than lawns...the population demands for water are lumped into that. Most of the population in California is centered in 2/3 of state.

Agriculture is a huge issue, planting crops that need tons of water, and considering they didn't start wide use of reclaiming water until more recently. Not to mention these plants are almost always non-native to the region. The climate makes it agreeable for growing, but that doesn't mean any crop should be grown there...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-09-2014, 03:56 PM
(11-09-2014 12:33 PM)jamin Wrote:  Well, we are in our 3rd of drought and hearing about a new desal plant being built in the San Diego area, it's about 30% complete.

Then hearing that the Desal plant in Santa Barbara is being re-booted to operate again, it's been shut down for 2 decades as we've been OK with water...but it's pretty crummy critical now....

So if anyone cares, this is the latest on this climate change stuff.....is it all a blip or here for who knows how long.....

odd that a "god" would create a planet with a radioactive cancer causing heat/light source and a planet with limited water for it's future inhabitants to drink.....

Must be the lack of prayers...Laugh out load

Drinking Beverage

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
11-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Here in San Antonio, TX they finally broke ground this year for a desalination plant. Much like CA, the people who planned this city never anticipated we would ever have the population boom we've seen. Between the idiots that designed the roads and the idea that we could live off a pond under the ground, I'm sometimes amazed that this city is here at all.

Long overdue here as well!

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
11-09-2014, 06:50 PM
(11-09-2014 01:45 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

pssst! San Diego is about as south-east as you can possibly get before entering Mexico.

11-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Southwest

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.