04-04-2016, 05:33 PM
RE: Describe an Atheist Moral Code
Don't be a dick.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2016, 05:45 PM
(04-04-2016 05:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Don't be a dick.

I'm not a dick. I'm a cock.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
04-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Describe an Atheist Moral Code
So atheists need to defend and prove, but not a theist? Good to know.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
05-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Don't know if I'd call it atheist, but this is the best representation of my code I've ever managed to write. It's copy+pasted from my computer, written ages ago, but I took the chance to clumsily edit it to sound a bit more "10 Commandments". It's a personal code though, not one I would expect other people to follow.

1.) Resist with the full might of body and mind every form of tyranny over thy fellow man, opposing both the vain-glory of kings and the malicious ignorance of the priestly caste.
2.) Thou shalt oppose with all due force they that would profit from the enslavement or exploitation of their fellow man. Suffer none to live in bondage.
3.) Recognize that your education continues in perpetuity and be ye not satisfied with thy current knowledge but rather seek with courage to ever expand it.
4.) Affix reason firmly in thy mind that it might be both a bulwark against the ever encroaching darkness of superstition and a beacon for those yet lost within it.
5.) Respect the autonomy of others in all things justly done, and oppose with all needed force they that will not. The right of the individual shall be sacrosanct, you have no right to another body or mind save that which they willingly consent to.
6.) Thou shall not treat children as property, but acknowledge that thy role is not as master but as teacher and steward. Oppose with all thy strength the mutilation or indoctrination of our collective future.
7.) Respect the law, but oppose those laws that are unjustly or unequally enforced, both the rich and the poor shalt be equal in the eyes of the law. Suffer no bigotry in the courts of law or public opinion.
8.) Thou art stewards of the Earth but not her master, recognize that thou art but one of many of her children, but alone in the safe guarding of this goodly earth and her denizens. The world belongs to our children in perpetuity, leave her in better condition than thou didst receive her.
9.) Be ye not afraid to confront wicked men, acknowledging that valour is the greatest of virtues and does most honour the haver, and in doing so respect the truth of reality: that some men my be opposed with word and open palm while others must be opposed with drawn blade and gritted teeth.
10.) Treat your fellow man with charity and compassion, and recognize that all that can justly and reasonably be done to further the cause of human dignity is your solemn duty to do, including the impassioned resistance to ignorance and superstition. Respect that human dignity can not thrive without education nor without security in our twilight years.
11.) Ask of none that which thou would be unwilling to do thyself, if thou art to lead you must lead from the front. Any man who requires sacrifices he himself will not make is a villain and not to be trusted.
12.) Thou hast one body and one mind, temper them both accordingly to their needs that they might better serve and inform thee. Hone thy body that thou might be prepared for violence, hone thy mind that thou need not have to resort to violence.
13.) Acknowledge the sacrifices of those around thee and do them honour. All are fighting battles thou know nothing of, and any that would help ye fight thy own battles as well as their own are worthy of respect and admiration. Self-sacrifice is a rare virtue, nourish it where ever you find it.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
05-04-2016, 12:54 AM
(04-04-2016 07:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No Good is whatever is beneficial to me.

Like eating?

1. Thou shalt follow Banjo!
2. Banjo is the one and only God, forget Zeus and Poseidon and Thor etc!
3. Thou shalt have no other gods but Banjo! (Such as those guys mentioned above)
4. Burn five sheep!
5. Bring me a shrubbery! (Not too tall)
6. Give all your money to Banjo!
7. Banjo made you. Therefore I, Banjo, own you!
8. Fear Banjo!
9. Banjo is angry with His creation! (Don't mind the third person thingamajig)
10. You are Banjo's creation!
11. Banjo created hell just for you where you will burn for all ETERNITY!!!!! (That's a really long time)
12. Pray only to Banjo! (I never listen. The noise is too much. And kind of creepy)
13. Fall on your knees before Banjo! (This has a different meaning for women and men. Depends how I feel on the day.)
14. Burn ALL non believers in Banjo!
15. Anyone who loves Jesus H. (Hubert) Christ is a non believer and must be flogged before burning. (Or burned and then flogged then burned. Whatever)
16. Only go fishing on every second Wednesday of every third month. Except for leap years. Then one may fish every third Wednesday of every fourth month.
17. Skip rope from 11.00 pm until 11.03 pm everyday. NO EXCEPTIONS! No griping about wheelchairs. I am not listening! (See above, commandment 12.)
18. Banjo accepts and expects all currency.
19. Only listen to recordings made on the instrument made in my name!
20. Never curse using the name Banjo! (You know, it's dark at night and you're heading to the loo in bare feet and stub your little toe etc.)

I exist! I can prove it!

BEHOLD!

[Image: banjo2.jpg]

Interesting T shirt. The Russian bear did NOT believe in Banjo and yet there is a T shirt??? (Don't worry. They'll burn.)

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
05-04-2016, 06:17 AM
(04-04-2016 05:23 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Because no other authority has manifested itself, other than the consensus opinion of society.

Yet, it's not really an authority. You can point to the state, the local and federal government as an authority, the laws they enforce, and penalize violators for.

But what does society have beyond this? Public shaming? Think of this little corner as one fraction of a society, perhaps there's some influence here on how you behave, your actions, your words, affected by your desire for esteem by your peers. If you don't particularly care for the esteem of individuals here, than you'd likely have more freedom in your interactions.

Also, no one really seems to consider society when it comes to real moral problems that arise, no one particularly imagines that they should avoid stealing because society will frown upon them. Just like you care little of my opinion and the opinions of others like myself, whether or not we represent a good portion of society. I doubt when considering having an affair, you'll be thinking of the low opinion I'd have of you.

Quote:
(04-04-2016 04:31 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Are there things you find beneficial to yourself that you avoid doing because you're afraid of societies subjective moral opinions here?

Are you playing the "why-dont-you-rape/steal/kill-if-there-is-no-god?" card? Seriously, are you?

Is Rape something you see beneficial to yourself, is it something you desire to do, but refrain yourself from doing because society would frown upon it, and because of the risk of prosecution and jail time? I doubt it.

I'm asking you personally, why you take issue with the idea of a Good, conceived of as that which is beneficial for you. Can you think of something you see as beneficial for yourself, where the cost outweighs the risks for you, that you desire to do, but avoid doing because of societies opinion.

Perhaps not, perhaps what you see as beneficial for yourself, also benefit the whole. So perhaps it's not subscribing to this belief personally that's an issue? Is it just others subscribing to it that you have an issue with?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
05-04-2016, 06:22 AM
(04-04-2016 05:19 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Quite often people make bold statements about society having moral views. All we can say is "I believe that X is immoral. I have a set of moral beliefs..."
It makes no sense to say "moral views of society"

What's often meant by society, is to see it like a community, for whom the majority might share certain moral views with each other, while not agreeing on everything that they consider wrong. The views on abortion might be split, but not that it's wrong to torture babies just for fun, where most people in a society would agree.

You might be an outlier here, but it's not presented as absolute, but as a majority view.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
05-04-2016, 06:24 AM
(05-04-2016 06:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 05:23 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Because no other authority has manifested itself, other than the consensus opinion of society.

Yet, it's not really an authority. You can point to the state, the local and federal government as an authority, the laws they enforce, and penalize violators for.

But what does society have beyond this? Public shaming? Think of this little corner as one fraction of a society, perhaps there's some influence here on how you behave, your actions, your words, affected by your desire for esteem by your peers. If you don't particularly care for the esteem of individuals here, than you'd likely have more freedom in your interactions.

Also, no one really seems to consider society when it comes to real moral problems that arise, no one particularly imagines that they should avoid stealing because society will frown upon them. Just like you care little of my opinion and the opinions of others like myself, whether or not we represent a good portion of society. I doubt when considering having an affair, you'll be thinking of the low opinion I'd have of you.

Quote:Are you playing the "why-dont-you-rape/steal/kill-if-there-is-no-god?" card? Seriously, are you?

Is Rape something you see beneficial to yourself, is it something you desire to do, but refrain yourself from doing because society would frown upon it, and because of the risk of prosecution and jail time? I doubt it.

I'm asking you personally, why you take issue with the idea of a Good, conceived of as that which is beneficial for you. Can you think of something you see as beneficial for yourself, where the cost outweighs the risks for you, that you desire to do, but avoid doing because of societies opinion.

Perhaps not, perhaps what you see as beneficial for yourself, also benefit the whole. So perhaps it's not subscribing to this belief personally that's an issue? Is it just others subscribing to it that you have an issue with?

You still here? Blink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
05-04-2016, 06:27 AM
(05-04-2016 06:24 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 06:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yet, it's not really an authority. You can point to the state, the local and federal government as an authority, the laws they enforce, and penalize violators for.

You still here? Blink

He's like cancer.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-04-2016, 06:32 AM
(05-04-2016 06:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 06:24 AM)Banjo Wrote:  You still here? Blink

He's like cancer.

Don't remind me. I have Tomasia! It makes one vomit and get constipated. I could go on.... Big Grin

Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post