Describe an Atheist Moral Code

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2016, 02:55 AM
RE: Describe an Atheist Moral Code
Thou shalt be skeptical.
No person is The authority on anything.
Diversity makes life interesting.
Everyone has opinions, yours is no more right than those of others.
It's not upto you how others ought to live their lives.
It's ok to make mistakes.
Ultimately you are responsible for your own actions and choices.
Shit happens, there doesn't have to be intent or purpose.
Personal experiences are a dubious way to attain universal truth.
Concepts are abstract ideas, they aren't existent objects or entities.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
30-01-2016, 06:12 AM
dont be an asshole. if you dont understand what that means then just do your best to avoid others.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
30-01-2016, 06:50 AM
1. Whoever smelt it, dealt it.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
04-04-2016, 03:55 AM
(29-01-2016 10:40 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  After reading the moral absolutes thread, I got the idea:

There will be a new list of Thirteen (13) Commandments*.

What do you think should be on an atheist moral code?

Yes, it's been done before, but now it's our turn. Big Grin

* When you read this, you have to read it in a big booming god voice...

I am sick of this shit. No not you personally, but humans in general not understanding the evolutionary psychology behind making attempts like this. There is absolutely NO NEED to set up a label based "moral code" as if we own a patent on it. This is simply an attempt to compete with old crap.

"atheist" is not a moral code either, it merely means "off" on god claims. Outside that we are just as diverse in our economic views and politics. Not even "atheist" will automatically make someone only do good. I have been on line 15 years and run into plenty of atheists being an atheist myself, that I would NOT trust in power.

Our species ability to be cruel or compassionate is in our EVOLUTION not our labels. That is not to say there are not better ways of protecting pluralism or diversity. Just to say we already have common law that guide us as to how protect everyone.

If all 7 billion humans were atheists you would still have divisions and crime. No that is not saying don't challenge religious based morality, but that our species is still the same species and not even "atheist" makes us magically superior or above the full range of evolutionary behavior, good or bad.

Humans change over long periods, and the the core guide is simply to understand we are NOT a separate species.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
04-04-2016, 06:28 AM
(29-01-2016 10:40 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  After reading the moral absolutes thread, I got the idea:

Good is whatever is beneficial to you. Do whatever it is you feel like doing, if you think it's worth it.

All other codes and rules are just arbitrary, and can be ignored at will.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-04-2016, 06:38 AM
(04-04-2016 06:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ...
Good is whatever is beneficial to you. Do whatever it is you feel like doing, if you think it's worth it.

Fancy a game of chess?

I'll start.

Rook takes Queen. Check.

Your move.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
04-04-2016, 06:39 AM
(04-04-2016 06:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 06:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  ...

Fancy a game of chess?

I'll start.

Rook takes Queen. Check.

Your move.

Queen walks down the runway, strutting her crown.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-04-2016, 06:42 AM
(04-04-2016 06:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Good is whatever is beneficial to you. Do whatever it is you feel like doing, if you think it's worth it.

Go rob a bank. When the cops show up, explain to them that their rules are arbitrary.

Let us know how that works out.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
04-04-2016, 07:04 AM
(04-04-2016 06:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Good is whatever is beneficial to the community.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-04-2016, 07:12 AM
(04-04-2016 06:42 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Go rob a bank. When the cops show up, explain to them that their rules are arbitrary.

Let us know how that works out.

Why not just ask me to put my hands on the fire? I'm not doing it because getting burnt is not worth the benefit of putting my hand on the fire. The benefit of robbing a bank, is outweighed for me by the potential of going to jail.