Designated Hittah for the DH

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2013, 10:52 AM
RE: Designated Hittah for the DH
Quote:I write the following with Christian apologists in mind.

I find the debates and arguments regarding the OT, NT, Pentateuch etc. very interesting. I know some of the members here have spent an inordinate amount of time researching and studying these ancient texts and kudos to them, knowledge is good.

But here's the thing, at the end of the day, the climax to these writings revolve around the supernatural. So even if we had perfect knowledge of who, when, what and how about them, they are still a work of fiction.

These writings suggest virgins can conceive without intercourse and give birth without losing their virginity, men can walk on water, blindness can be cured with spit and dead men come back to life. You might as well be discussing the Iliad and say that since you can historically prove the existence of Homer and the geographical locations mentioned in the book it then follows that chimeras, giant cyclops and sirens exist.

I applaud the researchers but their findings will never turn the impossible into reality.

Carry on.

Now we're talking! Again, whether Moses wrote the Torah or whether 50 rabbis did it after his death is irrelevant, correct. But note the consistent confirmatory bias BB uses--"C'mon, PJ, parts of the Torah describe happenings after Moses's death, so Moses couldn't have written it!" because he has a postdiction bias, a presentism bias, and an anti-supernatural bias.

Not to change our subject but so many people believe in the supernatural that freethinkers must have an anti-people bias.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2013, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 11:57 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-07-2013 10:52 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:I write the following with Christian apologists in mind.

I find the debates and arguments regarding the OT, NT, Pentateuch etc. very interesting. I know some of the members here have spent an inordinate amount of time researching and studying these ancient texts and kudos to them, knowledge is good.

But here's the thing, at the end of the day, the climax to these writings revolve around the supernatural. So even if we had perfect knowledge of who, when, what and how about them, they are still a work of fiction.

These writings suggest virgins can conceive without intercourse and give birth without losing their virginity, men can walk on water, blindness can be cured with spit and dead men come back to life. You might as well be discussing the Iliad and say that since you can historically prove the existence of Homer and the geographical locations mentioned in the book it then follows that chimeras, giant cyclops and sirens exist.

I applaud the researchers but their findings will never turn the impossible into reality.

Carry on.

Now we're talking! Again, whether Moses wrote the Torah or whether 50 rabbis did it after his death is irrelevant, correct. But note the consistent confirmatory bias BB uses--"C'mon, PJ, parts of the Torah describe happenings after Moses's death, so Moses couldn't have written it!" because he has a postdiction bias, a presentism bias, and an anti-supernatural bias.

Not to change our subject but so many people believe in the supernatural that freethinkers must have an anti-people bias.

You did change the subject.
You changed it to the ad populum fallacy.
Give it up dummy. Take the Summer off, and take a class. Tongue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
02-07-2013, 12:50 PM
(02-07-2013 10:52 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  But note the consistent confirmatory bias BB uses--"C'mon, PJ, parts of the Torah describe happenings after Moses's death, so Moses couldn't have written it!" because he has a postdiction bias, a presentism bias, and an anti-supernatural bias.

No, BB has a reality bias.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
02-07-2013, 12:59 PM
BB, what is your refutation of the evidence I posted which included several dozen examples? Is the above (2nd) rant it?
02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:No, BB has a reality bias.

No, BB and you have special, all-encompassing knowledge of all that reality truly is.
02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
(02-07-2013 01:00 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:No, BB has a reality bias.

No, BB and you have special, all-encompassing knowledge of all that reality truly is.

We do and we have the prophesy to prove it. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche