Desperately need tips on losing weight?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2016, 09:41 PM
RE: Desperately need tips on losing weight?
Two things: portion control [while watching calories] and exercise. I got a Fitbit to see just how active I truly am, and it's been awesome. I can see how lazy I really am and then try to help it through more exercise. Then you can track your food on the app, so that allows me to do portion control and make sure I don't go crazy.

I've lost 17 lbs in a month by doing this, all while eating pizza 2-3x/week. You can afford 600-800 calories of pizza at a meal as long as you do well with your other meals. Don't be too picky. Reward yourself, just stay within the bounds of the calories they recommend. Works wonders.

Good luck!

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2016, 10:04 PM
(29-02-2016 09:33 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 06:57 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Doesn't matter what you eat. All that matters is calories in vs calories out. You can lose weight while eating nothing but fast food every day.

I'd say try losing weight at 1500 cals a day. It's up to you, though. Change it if you are really hungry or if you think you can go lower.

Carbs, like in brown rice and oats, will help you feel full, but you also need protein and fats; try to get all macronutrients in your meals.

Some example meals:

Breakfast: 3/4 cup oats at 225 cals. 1 banana at about 90 cals. 3 (large) eggs at 240 cals.
Total: 555 calories.

Dinner: 3/4 cup brown rice at 480 cals. Cook 2 carrots and 1 cup frozen peas at about 190 calories in with the rice.
Total: 670 calories.

Look at nutrition labels; know how many calories you're eating

BTW, what are in those smoothies? Are you making them yourself? How many a day do you have? And drink water FFS.

No I don't make it myself but I'd be open to that if anyone had any good recipes. My friend who has turned crazed health nut has suggested the Bolthouse Farms smoothie to me, I drink the strawberry/banana one and it has 14 servings of fruit with no sugar added. Its also got 3 pears and 3 1/2 apples in it. The servings per container are about 6.
All fat is 0g, cholesterol 0g, sodium 15mg, potassium 210mg, total carbohydrate 32g, dietary fiber 3g, sugar 28g, and protein 1g. There's also 2% Vitamin A, Calcium 2%, Iron 2%, and Vitamin C 100%. Is this okay? Haha

And calorie content?
29-02-2016, 10:23 PM
Walk before you can run. Literally.

If I can share my personal experience:
I went from 86kg (190lbs) in November to 81kg (179lbs) in December ... not sure what I weigh now but I've had to buy a belt.

At the start, I was walking 6km in an hour and now I'm part walking / part running 8 to 9km in an hour per day.

Gilgamesh is right, though, about input vs. output... if I was eating healthily, progress would have been quicker.

I found that I needed to get into a exercise-groove i.e. a daily routine. That takes will-power but once the habit forms, results start showing.

The best bit about is when you meet someone you haven't seen for a few weeks and they do a double-take and stare and say "wow!" (which is what happened on Saturday).

With the added incentive of a modelling career ... I know you can do it.

Hug

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-02-2016, 10:59 PM
Fruit only for breakfast, salads for lunch ... one bigger meal later. No sugar drinks, (or "diet soda"). Raisins or cranberries if you must snack. If the energy out exceeds the energy in, you will lose weight ... so exercise. Walk one more block every other day. It works.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
01-03-2016, 12:02 AM
I'll share a few of my...healthier tips. I have an eating disorder, and currently can't gain weight, so go figure. I gain weight when depressed. When I'm stressed and can't cope, I can't eat. It's a control thing. I weigh 20+lbs less than when I visited Stark.

Ice water before and with meals. Like Bucky Ball said, no sodas, not even diet. I'm currently drinking sodas on occasion to keep from passing out. Feel hungry? Drink water. You might just be thirsty. Still hungry? Ok, eat something.

A handful of shelled sunflower seeds - tons of nutrients and filling. Celery and/or apple slices as a snack with a measured amount of peanut butter or sunflower butter (I'm allergic to nuts).

Just because you order a salad off of the menu doesn't mean it has the fewest calories.

Eggs. Eggs eggs eggs. Filling, have nutrients, hard to overindulge.

No pasta. None. Really. Maaaaybe whole wheat. What's better than pasta? Spiralized zucchini. Seriously. Check out Williams-Sonima recipes, like zucchini pasta and butternut squash. Pasta has a metric fuck ton of calories and takes a lot to fill you up.

Teas sweetened with stevia. Black, green, herbal, whatever. All day long. Don't add sugar, drink a lot of it. Drink this or eat fruit when having a sweet craving. Or black coffee. Lots of it. Stay away from lattes.

No beer. Either 1-2 glasses of red wine or 1-2 vodka or gin diet tonics.

Don't watch tv while you eat. Distracted eating causes you to eat more.

Yes, the weight falls off when you run. Start with walking. Do a couch to 5K program. Sign up for a 5K for motivation. It's really not that far. Once you start running 10 Ks weight will not be an issue and you can eat pasta to your heart's desire. Get good running shoes, find a trail that inspires you, and get out there. Get fun clothes for running. DONT WEAR HEADPHONES IF RUNNInG ON THE ROAD. People die that way. Get an app like Nike+ to compete with yourself.

Eat at least 1200 calories a day but stay close to that number. Less than that and you kill your metabolism. If you're running, you need more than that. If you're walking, don't fool yourself, you haven't done enough work to eat yourself pizza and icecream.

And as said before, this is not professional advice. Times like these, I wish I would have picked a different screen name.

Is it too late to change my screenname? ConsiderTongue

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
01-03-2016, 12:21 AM
Walk before run, but ja, running is only thing that seems to work for me.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-03-2016, 03:46 AM
It's true you can lose weight eating junk food. I've done it many times. If all you have in a day is a bar of chocolate, you're bound to lose weight. It's definitely not healthy though.

Be careful with "hidden" calories. We often confuse what is "healthy" and what is "not fattening". For example, olive oil is extremely healthy for you, but a single tablespoon can be 100 calories. You can have fruit, but they do have a lot of sugar so they should be limited too. Try more veggies instead. As for eggs, they're healthy, filling and yummy, but you can't eat too many of them, they do have a significant number of calories too.

Some more general tips:

-Drink lots of water, especially before and during meals, as others have said. You'll feel full much sooner than you usually do.

-Don't eat fast. Your stomach needs some time to "realize" it's had enough. Take your time and enjoy your food.

-Use smaller plates. Big plates make you feel like you have to eat the whole thing, but you'll be surprised by how a much smaller portion can satisfy you.

-Use sweeteners. I'm a sugar junkie, they've saved my life.

-Avoid anything sweet in the morning. It will cause your blood sugar to go low later in the day and you'll have unnecessary cravings.

-Running is great if you want to lose weight, but really any kind of movement that gets you tired burns calories. I lost a lot of weight once working as a waitress but eating normally. All I had to do was walk around for hours.

-Try to be busy. I often forget I need to eat when I'm really busy or immersed in drawing, listening to music or reading a book.

-Don't stay too long with an empty stomach between meals. You'll eat too much if you're extremely hungry.

Maybe there's more. I'll come back if I remember anything else. I'm currently trying to lose weight myself and I'm about your height and weight too (5' 3'', 143lb, my normal weight being around 121lb). I've lost about 10lb the past couple of weeks without sacrificing anything. You just need to make small changes and be patient.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
01-03-2016, 04:48 AM
First: When ever you're hungry tell yourself, "YAY, I'm not overeating!"

Second: Snacks, fresh veggies are great. Carrots, celery, things like that.

Third: I keep a small bowl of salad dressing beside my plate. I dip my fork into that and then hit the salad. You'd be surprised how little dressing you need to perk up that bowl of weeds.

And for you US veterans, check out the MOVE program at your local VA facility.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2016, 05:26 AM
You could do what I did back in the 1980's..... I went from 205 down to 160 in about 3 months.

Of course I didn't sleep very much and about the only thing I ate was my fingernails.................

Other than that, amphetamines did the trick....

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-03-2016, 05:51 AM
Don't eat. Drink water. Do stuff.

(01-03-2016 12:02 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Is it too late to change my screenname? ConsiderTongue

Yes.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post