Desperation - Stephen King

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Desperation - Stephen King
Just watched Desperation. I do not know the book but the movie is based on the book by Stephen King.
Now, I read quite a few Stephen King books in the past, and I saw a few movies based on his books.
But I must say that this was a little bit of a disappointment

It was totally his style. The whole story was built like a typical "Stephen King" but what bothered me was the God thing.
In the beginning there is this boy who is praying while he is locked up. And I am like "ok, well, who cares"
But it's not stopping. Throughout the whole movie he prays and talks about god and how good god is and that sometimes god is cruel but god is love blahblah.
Kind of contradicting itself as the movie itself is pretty much a horror. Pretty gory at times and most certainly nothing about love in the movie.
It's a little weird to have that big of a focus on the whole god thing there.
I know that King likes to focus on supernatural things but this was just a notch too annoying.
I think the story could have been a lot better without the god topic in it.

Apart from the big focus on god, the movie is actually not too bad. But for me the godthing took away from the fun. Other people might not be bothered by it, I am.

So basically the movie starts out with a weird crazy cop, locking people up and killing people. The town is empty apart from this cop and the people he drags into his little small-town police station.

Not saying more, so if you wanna see it, it's not spoiled (apart from the god part, that you know of by now)

here link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgLImCyDn...re=related
(@ mod: I hope it is ok to post the link to the video, when it is on youtube. if not, please delete)

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2012, 07:44 PM
RE: Desperation - Stephen King
That movie is horrible. Just utter crap. I am a Stephen King fan, but he has some absolute shit books and some horrendous movies. My favorite of his movies are the ones made for tv. The Stand, IT, The Langoliers.... But there are soooo many it might surprise even some softcore King fans. Most aren't very good, some are decent, and a few are great.

Desperation is not good. The way they integrated the Tak thing into the movie was so distractingly awful. But to be fair, it isn't one of his books that I'm uber fond of anyways. It starts out pretty great, but it spirals down into preachy. Not exactly a King special. He usually strays from God, but lingers in the supernatural. There is usually mention of god, or god fearing individuals, but he's pretty keen on leaving the end assumption of whether god had anything to do with anything completely up to the reader.

He sort of takes that away in Desperation. There is no guessing needed. All is spelt out for you.

If you are interested you should check out his book The Regulators. It's the mirror story. He wrote it as Richard Bachman. I actually enjoy his Bachman books more than the majority of his King books.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2012, 12:00 PM
RE: Desperation - Stephen King
(29-07-2012 07:44 PM)lucradis Wrote:  It starts out pretty great, but it spirals down into preachy.

This is almost word for word how I described this book to a friend a while back. I love the beginning, but geeeeeez does it get awful the more you turn the page.

Quote:If you are interested you should check out his book The Regulators. It's the mirror story. He wrote it as Richard Bachman. I actually enjoy his Bachman books more than the majority of his King books.

This. Definitely this. The Regulators was way more enjoyable.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
Find all posts by this user