Destroy Mythology Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2015, 10:26 PM
RE: Destroy Mythology Day
(03-03-2015 08:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 07:44 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  ...
Considering that the most famous book burners were the Nazis, I think this would probably not be well recieved.

Odd that you said that.

My first thought was not the Nazis but the RCC.

Consider

Ya but the Nazis were better known for it.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2015, 10:54 PM
(03-03-2015 10:26 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 08:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Odd that you said that.

Consider

Ya but the Nazis were better known for it.

I was just saying that the RCC was my first thought. Sample size = 1.

The Nazis were more known for burning people. The RCC tried to be best at that too, I suppose.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-03-2015, 10:55 PM
(03-03-2015 07:05 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  In the interests of "equal time" for us atheists, and in response to the National Day of Prayer, I would like to propose the establishment of a "National Destroy Mythology" Day.

The primary ritual to be carried out on this day would be the burning of any books

I'd be against burning books for just about any reason. Reading them and making fun of the contents, maybe. Burning them, no.

The National Day of Prayer is also the National Day of Reason. Promoting that better might be more useful.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
03-03-2015, 10:56 PM
(03-03-2015 08:37 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 08:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Odd that you said that.

Consider

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the RCC?

That is a question I'd love to hear more often. And I'd love to be able to reply "It's a distant memory".

It is the Roman Catholic Church.

Also known as the ... The Cafia!

Evil_monster

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
04-03-2015, 01:01 AM
(03-03-2015 07:05 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  In the interests of "equal time" for us atheists, and in response to the National Day of Prayer, I would like to propose the establishment of a "National Destroy Mythology" Day.

The primary ritual to be carried out on this day would be the burning of any books that promote the belief in the various religious mythologies (but concentrating mostly on those of Western Monotheistic Traditions, since they are the most socially obnoxious). Also, those that found ideologies on these mythologies.

To suggest a list of initial candidates for burning:

The Bible,
The Quran,
The Hadiths,
The Torah,
The Talmud,
Anything written by Ray Comfort or Ken Hamm.

A possible motto for the day could be "Hate the bullshit, but love the spewers of the bullshit"

Any comments?

I strongly disagree with you brother. You are scaring me because this is a bit extreme. I don't pray or know much about prayer myself but I am pretty sure the national day of pray does not have any malicious intent and is meant to bring people together. Why would you counter bringing people together? Especially by burning and dissin their faith. It's not cool. But what if the atheists instead participated in the day and joined others in Prayer. I am not saying actually prayed but at least participated in the spirit of the day and in celebration (during the actual prayer you could just bow your head hold hands and let everyone finish while you though of anything you wanted.) I have never prayed before in my life and I would not mind participating just for the fun, this way no one would have to get dissed or hurt and we can all benefit. Don't pray if you don't want to just enjoy a holiday. What ever you do don't burn books that's not right nor is it fair to the believers.
04-03-2015, 01:03 AM
[/quote]
Considering that the most famous book burners were the Nazis, I think this would probably not be well recieved.
[/quote]

Great point I agree with you.
04-03-2015, 01:36 AM
Maybe a "Get Off Your Sorry Ass and Actually do Something Day" would be better.

Or, if they're so desperate to bring people together (cause, ya know, prayer is an amazing group activity that encourages so much interaction with other people), how bout "Get Together Day"? All the get together, none of the talking to the voices in your head!

(04-03-2015 01:01 AM)mcyowassup Wrote:  But what if the atheists instead participated in the day and joined others in Prayer. I am not saying actually prayed but at least participated in the spirit of the day and in celebration (during the actual prayer you could just bow your head hold hands and let everyone finish while you though of anything you wanted.)

The absolute last thing the Christians in this country need is more to enforce the idea that everyone thinks like them and those that don't should just keep their mouths shut and pretend they think like them.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
04-03-2015, 02:51 AM
The RCC... the arsey sea... A perilous place...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-03-2015, 05:51 AM
(04-03-2015 01:01 AM)mcyowassup Wrote:  

The primary ritual to be carried out on this day would be the burning of any books that promote the belief in the various religious mythologies (but concentrating mostly on those of Western Monotheistic Traditions, since they are the most socially obnoxious). Also, those that found ideologies on these mythologies.

To suggest a list of initial candidates for burning:

The Bible,
The Quran,
The Hadiths,
The Torah,
The Talmud,
Anything written by Ray Comfort or Ken Hamm.

A possible motto for the day could be "Hate the bullshit, but love the spewers of the bullshit"

Any comments?

I strongly disagree with you brother. You are scaring me because this is a bit extreme. I don't pray or know much about prayer myself but I am pretty sure the national day of pray does not have any malicious intent and is meant to bring people together. Why would you counter bringing people together? Especially by burning and dissin their faith. It's not cool. But what if the atheists instead participated in the day and joined others in Prayer. I am not saying actually prayed but at least participated in the spirit of the day and in celebration (during the actual prayer you could just bow your head hold hands and let everyone finish while you though of anything you wanted.) I have never prayed before in my life and I would not mind participating just for the fun, this way no one would have to get dissed or hurt and we can all benefit. Don't pray if you don't want to just enjoy a holiday. What ever you do don't burn books that's not right nor is it fair to the believers.

See my "Hate the bullshit, love the spewers of bullshit" comment.

I think you should read up on the efficacy of prayer, beginning with "Why Does God Hate Amputees?"

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
04-03-2015, 06:40 AM
Sounds like a really good idea, gone bad......................

Destroying myths isn't what you really want to do. Myths tell us about the people who made the myths - they are a snapshot of time. We should preserve myths as we preserve other relics of other eras.

What we should have is a "Myth Remembrance Day" --- where we remember the mythical characters of the past - like Apollo, Zeus, Neptune, Inti, Odin, Frigga, Mohammed and Jesus - and their deeds and misdeeds...........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post