Destroy Mythology Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2015, 11:48 AM
RE: Destroy Mythology Day
I am easy to get along with.

After reading your posts and giving it more thought, I find myself in agreement that the burning of books has very negative implications, mainly because of its association with the Nazis and the RCC.

I would like to revise my suggestion. Rather than burn books, it would be better for us to write down the names of the offensive books on a piece of paper and then burn the paper.

Would anyone be willing to suggest a date for this demonstration?

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2015, 02:00 PM
(11-03-2015 11:48 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  I am easy to get along with.

After reading your posts and giving it more thought, I find myself in agreement that the burning of books has very negative implications, mainly because of its association with the Nazis and the RCC.

I would like to revise my suggestion. Rather than burn books, it would be better for us to write down the names of the offensive books on a piece of paper and then burn the paper.

Would anyone be willing to suggest a date for this demonstration?

Maybe we could just think really hard about burning a piece of paper with the names of offensive books on it?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-03-2015, 03:25 PM
Destroying the documentation of any myth only does the other myths a favor. Just think about how much more evidence of human origins would be available I the RCC had not been so adept at eradicating the texts of other sects. Encouraging the destruction of any cultural text, even in effigy, is unhelpful. But, I sympathize with your frustration.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
12-03-2015, 04:45 AM
(03-03-2015 07:05 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  In the interests of "equal time" for us atheists, and in response to the National Day of Prayer, I would like to propose the establishment of a "National Destroy Mythology" Day.

The primary ritual to be carried out on this day would be the burning of any books that promote the belief in the various religious mythologies (but concentrating mostly on those of Western Monotheistic Traditions, since they are the most socially obnoxious). Also, those that found ideologies on these mythologies.

To suggest a list of initial candidates for burning:

The Bible,
The Quran,
The Hadiths,
The Torah,
The Talmud,
Anything written by Ray Comfort or Ken Hamm.

A possible motto for the day could be "Hate the bullshit, but love the spewers of the bullshit"

Any comments?

Love the idea, agree with you totally, except for the "Love the spewers of the bullshit" bit. Cos I don't.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2015, 01:01 PM
I'd rather see an embrace Mythology day and include Jesus, Vishnu, Muhammad, or Buddha with every other mythological character from Zeus, Thor, Hercules, Horus, Ansasi, etc.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-03-2015, 01:36 PM
(03-03-2015 08:41 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 08:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Odd that you said that.

My first thought was not the Nazis but the RCC.

Consider

My first thought was the burning of Beatles records.
That was religious bullshit too.

I was in until the book burning part, I prefer to leave that to the ignorant.

In the 1950's when Elvis arrived on the scene, parents broke his records and tried to ban his music. It was considered animalistic and vulgar.

I'm never in favor of burning any books, even the Bible. I thinks it's better to use the Bible as a tool to show how inane the damned thing is.

Just think if the Ancient Library at Alexandria hadn't been burned. Wow. The stuff that was lost. So sad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post