Destroy a faith in one sentence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 07:00 AM
Destroy a faith in one sentence
I thought it would be good to list all the facts that can be expressed in a single sentence and which upon hearing can lead to the eventual destruction of someone's faith.

Or you can think of this as a floor-falling-out-of-an-elevator pitch to achieve a death bed deconversion. They have just long enough to think "Bugger that!" before they go splat into the ground.

Feel feel to add your own or improve or correct my ones.
  • None of the written accounts of Jesus are contemporaneous.
  • None of the books in the New Testament can agree on what happened during Jesus's resurrection.
  • The Bible lists the bat alongside other unclean birds (Leviticus 11:13-19)
  • The Bible mentions insects with four legs (Leviticus 11:20-23)
  • I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. (Timothy 2:12)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
16-10-2014, 07:03 AM
RE: Destroy a faith in one sentence
Your book sucks?

Unsure

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
16-10-2014, 07:04 AM
No Old Testament?

So, no original sin.

Consider

So, why... Jesus?

Dodgy

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
16-10-2014, 07:06 AM
What religion would you be following if you'd been born in Saudi Arabia from muslim parents?

Ohmy

16-10-2014, 07:06 AM
(16-10-2014 07:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  No Old Testament?

So, no original sin.

Consider

So, why... Jesus?

Dodgy

Definitely an improvement on your first attempt!

I'm hoping Good without God will mention something about The First Council of Nicaea.
16-10-2014, 07:08 AM
If there is a possibility that an interventionist god can intervene (via e.g. prayer) in scientific experiments and even potentially influence the results....

Who should win the Nobel Prize?

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-10-2014, 07:11 AM
(16-10-2014 07:08 AM)DLJ Wrote:  If there is a possibility that an interventionist god can intervene (via e.g. prayer) in scientific experiments and even potentially influence the results....

Who should win the Nobel Prize?

Consider

And if so is it cheating when a participant prays while playing a sport?

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 6 users Like Elder Cunningham's post
16-10-2014, 07:12 AM
Um when you say "faith" in the title of the thread, you really should include all faiths.

It is important to attack all bad claims, and the idea of faith as a concept itself.

Faith is an act of swallowing first without testing. There is not one faith in our species history that does not do this. Christianity is merely one faith in our species history.

I do value those who debunk the books and they are needed.

However, the logic behind all faiths has a starting point.

"Faith"<=religious formula(holy books and or religious writings) <=desired outcome.

I like to attack ALL faiths by demanding the evidence before you even get to their books or writings that it is a requirement at all.

What blows any "faith" out of the water is that you can point out all the others who don't hold that faith. So anyone claiming that faith is required, the fact that others hold other faith is evidence that their faith is not required.

It boils down to our species gap filling as to why faith and religions are created. No faith held today was around 200,000 years ago, much less 4 billion or 13 billion years ago.

"Faith" is not about fact finding, it is about looking for excuses to hold a position.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2014, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2014 07:57 AM by Bucky Ball.)
"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law"
1 Corinthians 14:34
Paul was a misogynist AND he firmly believed the OLD LAW was still very much operational. So much for a "new covenant". Laughat

Genesis 2:20
You really need two translations to get it.
God and Adam were into bestiality-experimemtation as apparently the god was too dumb to figure out what sort of mate to make for him, and
b. apparently "livestock" (animals) were *created* as "domesticated" before there was even such a thing : Laughat (Wouldn't they ALL be "wild" animals at that point ?)

NIV : "So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals. But for Adam no suitable helper was found."

New American Babble : "Ferdy The man gave names to all the cattle, all the birds of the air, and all the wild animals, but none *proved* (ahem ... cough cough)
to be a suitable partner for the man". (Did he *interview* them ?) "Next ..... "

Edit : But I agree .. never underestimate the power of "compartmentalization". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartment...chology%29
Deconversion is, (or can be ) a long, complex process. (Good series here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12rP8ybp13s )
The nice thing (I discovered) is that what I thought I lost from my (childhood) faith, I discovered I still had access to, in every important way, when I came to understand what it was all about, in the first place.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-10-2014, 07:29 AM
You are not going to destroy the faith of a religious person with one sentence, or even make the question anything. Most do not want to even consider questioning and are not interested in knowing more. If one sentence makes a person question their faith, chances are they already were.
[+] 5 users Like wazzel's post