Destroy a faith in one sentence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2014, 02:34 PM
RE: Destroy a faith in one sentence
(02-11-2014 02:18 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  If youre too lazy to post quotes, im not clicking your links.

In other words, "Don't want to know, don't want to know..." (inserts fingers in ears) "la, la, la, la".

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
02-11-2014, 02:34 PM
(02-11-2014 02:18 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 02:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  If you would follow the link I provided, you will see that your 1500 years is wildly incorrect.

And there is much more than one decade separating the references from the alleged events of Jesus' life.

If youre too lazy to post quotes, im not clicking your links.

And youre WILDLY wrong... you wont find ANY source of documentation for Alexander before the 10th century AD.

And PROVE it is more removed then a decade from the life of Christ... youre wrong again.... PROVE your statements

Quote:Arrian of Nicomedia (/ˈæriən/; Latin: Lucius Flavius Arrianus "Xenophon"; Greek: Ἀρριανός c. AD c. 86 – c. 160) was a Greek historian, public servant, military commander and philosopher of the 2nd-century Roman period.
The Anabasis of Alexander is perhaps his best-known work, and is generally considered one of the best sources on the campaigns of Alexander the Great.
This work on Alexander is one of the few surviving complete accounts of the Macedonian conqueror's expedition. Arrian was able to use sources which are now lost, such as the contemporary works by Callisthenes (the nephew of Alexander's tutor Aristotle), Onesicritus, Nearchus, and Aristobulus, and the slightly later work of Cleitarchus. Most important of all, Arrian had the biography of Alexander by Ptolemy, one of Alexander's leading generals and possibly his half-brother.

None of your sources were even born within a decade of the alleged events; you have yet to support you assertions.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2014, 02:38 PM
(02-11-2014 02:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 02:18 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  If youre too lazy to post quotes, im not clicking your links.

And youre WILDLY wrong... you wont find ANY source of documentation for Alexander before the 10th century AD.

And PROVE it is more removed then a decade from the life of Christ... youre wrong again.... PROVE your statements

Quote:Arrian of Nicomedia (/ˈæriən/; Latin: Lucius Flavius Arrianus "Xenophon"; Greek: Ἀρριανός c. AD c. 86 – c. 160) was a Greek historian, public servant, military commander and philosopher of the 2nd-century Roman period.
The Anabasis of Alexander is perhaps his best-known work, and is generally considered one of the best sources on the campaigns of Alexander the Great.
This work on Alexander is one of the few surviving complete accounts of the Macedonian conqueror's expedition. Arrian was able to use sources which are now lost, such as the contemporary works by Callisthenes (the nephew of Alexander's tutor Aristotle), Onesicritus, Nearchus, and Aristobulus, and the slightly later work of Cleitarchus. Most important of all, Arrian had the biography of Alexander by Ptolemy, one of Alexander's leading generals and possibly his half-brother.

None of your sources were even born within a decade of the alleged events; you have yet to support you assertions.

You really don't get what I'm posting at all.. WHY is this so hard for you to understand? PETER was alive during the life of Christ... MARK was alive during the life of Christ. PAUL was alive during the life of Christ. JOSEPHUS was born right at the time He was crucified and was familiar with the early beginning of the church personally... Alexander's documentation doesn't exist before the 10th century... HANDS DOWN Jesus beats Alexander with THOUSANDS of pieces of documentation within the first 3 centuries. Alexander? 6... 1500 years after his lifetime

What do you not understand about that?
02-11-2014, 02:40 PM
(02-11-2014 02:34 PM)Impulse Wrote:  

In other words, "Don't want to know, don't want to know..." (inserts fingers in ears) "la, la, la, la".

No.. in other words you guys aren't even close to credible if you cant even post a quote like I did. Grow some credibility and rebut anything iv said with legitimate credible sources... you cannot period.
02-11-2014, 02:40 PM
(02-11-2014 02:26 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 02:22 PM)cjlr Wrote:  This little turd is giving me flashbacks.

He's like our ol' buddy Drich.

Except dumber.

Dumber? Moi? And you cant produce evidence for Christ OR Alexander? You cant debunk anything with a credible source? Let me show you who is dumb... everyone saying Alexander has documentation closer to contemporaneous than Christ... THIS is the earliest documentation for Alexander.:

Diodorus Siculus (1st c. BCE) Locatted at Naples, Biblioteca Nazionale, this is the OLDEST manuscript and dates to the 10th century.

Quintus Curtius Rufus (1st c. CE) Oldest manuscript dates to the 11th century

So yes, you are 1500 years removed from Alexander with his sources.

Our earliest gospel of mark dates to the mid 1st century, or approximately 10 years after the crucifixion of Christ since it is estimated He was born roughly 6 AD.

"The Gospel of Mark was written by an anonymous author. The Gospel wasn't written and does not claim to be written by direct witnesses to the reported events."

"The book was probably written c.66–70 CE, during Nero's persecution of the Christians in Rome or the Jewish revolt, as suggested by internal references to war in Judea and to persecution."

It is also based on the Book of Matthew, so it is not the oldest.

02-11-2014, 02:42 PM
(02-11-2014 02:26 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 02:22 PM)cjlr Wrote:  This little turd is giving me flashbacks.

He's like our ol' buddy Drich.

Except dumber.

Dumber? Moi?

Oh, very much so.

(02-11-2014 02:26 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  And you cant produce evidence for Christ OR Alexander? You cant debunk anything with a credible source?

You seem to have difficulty telling people apart.

I was not the one you were having that conversation with.

(02-11-2014 02:26 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Let me show you who is dumb... everyone saying Alexander has documentation closer to contemporaneous than Christ...

No one said that.

(02-11-2014 02:26 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  THIS is the earliest documentation for Alexander.:

Diodorus Siculus (1st c. BCE) Locatted at Naples, Biblioteca Nazionale, this is the OLDEST manuscript and dates to the 10th century.

Quintus Curtius Rufus (1st c. CE) Oldest manuscript dates to the 11th century

So yes, you are 1500 years removed from Alexander with his sources.

Who's "you"?

The age of the manuscripts themselves are largely irrelevant. Five hundred years of Christians wantonly destroying all but their own texts can have that sort of effect.

That the surviving texts we have describing the life and deeds of Alexander are far more credible sources is the salient point, which you either don't understand or are simply too dishonest to address.

The actual text of Diodorus Siculus can be dated very reliably to the first century BC. That's at most three hundred years after Alexander's death, but quite handily shows up your nonsensical tryhard trolling for the facetious sham it is. Notwithstanding that the classical accounts we do possess are downright redolent with citations and paraphrases of earlier works.
(lost in large part thanks to Christians, naturally)

But that's also irrelevant. The credibility of source material is the single most relevant factor. Arrian is very credible. Diodorus Siculus is highly credible. Next to them the Gospels are transparent polemic.

(02-11-2014 02:26 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Our earliest gospel or mark dates to the mid 1st century, or approximately 10 years after the crucifixion of Christ since it is estimated He was born roughly 6 AD.

Any credible analysis places the earliest gospel texts at best ~50 years after the purported death of Jesus.

But why does it not surprise me that you are woefully ignorant of any competent modern scholarship?

... this is my signature!
02-11-2014, 02:42 PM
(02-11-2014 02:38 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 02:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  None of your sources were even born within a decade of the alleged events; you have yet to support you assertions.

You really don't get what I'm posting at all.. WHY is this so hard for you to understand? PETER was alive during the life of Christ... MARK was alive during the life of Christ. PAUL was alive during the life of Christ. JOSEPHUS was born right at the time He was crucified and was familiar with the early beginning of the church personally... Alexander's documentation doesn't exist before the 10th century... HANDS DOWN Jesus beats Alexander with THOUSANDS of pieces of documentation within the first 3 centuries. Alexander? 6... 1500 years after his lifetime

No Biblical scholar believes that any of the gospels were eyewitness accounts or were written by Jesus' disciples.

I have demonstrated that you are entirely wrong about Alexander.

02-11-2014, 02:44 PM
(02-11-2014 02:33 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  

And then when someone comes along and does quote something for your benefit you resort to the usual tactic of making it look like the usual caveats in scientific research means there's lots of doubt when there isn't

You haven't quoted a damned thing... just posted a link and said "read"... fuck that. Iv provided credible sources, links AND quotes.... Now debunk them and prove Alexander existed... prove he even has HALF the documentation that Christ has... he doesn't. PROVE it is closer to his lifetime than 1500 years... you cant. Then tell me why youll accept inferior documentation over the superior documentation. Why do you believe in Alexander the great? You have no documentation from his lifetime... yours is 1500 years later
02-11-2014, 02:45 PM
We have the original financial records of Lucius Caecilius Iucundus, who lived around the same time that Jesus is claimed to. He's far better documented. And by original I mean the original wax tablets.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 2 users Like Elder Cunningham's post
02-11-2014, 02:48 PM
(02-11-2014 02:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 02:38 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  You really don't get what I'm posting at all.. WHY is this so hard for you to understand? PETER was alive during the life of Christ... MARK was alive during the life of Christ. PAUL was alive during the life of Christ. JOSEPHUS was born right at the time He was crucified and was familiar with the early beginning of the church personally... Alexander's documentation doesn't exist before the 10th century... HANDS DOWN Jesus beats Alexander with THOUSANDS of pieces of documentation within the first 3 centuries. Alexander? 6... 1500 years after his lifetime

No Biblical scholar believes that any of the gospels were eyewitness accounts or were written by Jesus' disciples.

I have demonstrated that you are entirely wrong about Alexander.

How? by saying "hu uh it isn't so"? Don't be ignorant. You've only demonstrated you have no source closer to 1500 years for Alexander and that youre biased regarding the documentation for Christ within 10 years of his resurrection.

Where are your scholarly sources? zero... none, zip, nada You've got nothing so far

Sources proving Jesus lived? 6 non biblical historians, and thousands of manuscripts from 50 AD to 300 AD...

Sources for alexander so far? 2, and I had to provide them FOR YOU GUYS... and they are 1500 years removed from Alexander...

So demonstrate getting off your ass to find something scholarly to debunk this.... thatll keep you busy because there isn't anything CREDIBLE to debunk it, and your opinion minus reputable sources count for shit.