Destroy a faith in one sentence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 07:30 AM
RE: Destroy a faith in one sentence
Why do you believe this? (let them destroy it themselves)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
16-10-2014, 07:35 AM
You know that genocide is wrong. Why doesn't your god know that genocide is wrong[1]?

[1] http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_a...ocide.html

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
16-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Why did God make poop?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
16-10-2014, 07:47 AM
(16-10-2014 07:43 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Why did God make poop?

I do wonder that. Couldn't an omnipotent god make humans 100% efficient with their energy? Or hell, he's god, couldn't he make us photosynthetic?
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
16-10-2014, 07:52 AM
(16-10-2014 07:47 AM)natachan Wrote:  

I do wonder that. Couldn't an omnipotent god make humans 100% efficient with their energy? Or hell, he's god, couldn't he make us photosynthetic?

Yeah it's like, "you're sinful, so I will make some smelly thingy come out of your butts". Makes sense, right?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
16-10-2014, 08:07 AM
(16-10-2014 07:47 AM)natachan Wrote:  I do wonder that. Couldn't an omnipotent god make humans 100% efficient with their energy? Or hell, he's god, couldn't he make us photosynthetic?

Exactly. It's not like God, Heaven and Hell or souls are subject to entropy or the laws of thermodynamics.
16-10-2014, 08:58 AM
The problem is, as Wazzel said, you won't destroy anyone's faith with one sentence. They have stock answers for all of these things. Never doubt the power of cognitive dissonance.

(16-10-2014 07:00 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  None of the written accounts of Jesus are contemporaneous.

Plenty of Christians believe the contrary and will simply dismiss this. From my experience, most Christians are not interested in learning about the history of the Bible itself. Hell, most of them haven't even read the book.

(16-10-2014 07:00 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  None of the books in the New Testament can agree on what happened during Jesus's resurrection.

I've read a book that actually claims this makes the story more reliable. I think it's a stupid argument, but the idea is that if all the stories matched up, it'd look like they were corroborated, so this makes them more reliable. Aside from that, most Christians will just brush this off as needless details.

(16-10-2014 07:00 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The Bible lists the bat alongside other unclean birds (Leviticus 11:13-19)

The stock answer here is that skeptics are holding the ancient Bible against modern notions of taxonomy. This is also what they say if you bring up rabbits not chewing their cud.

(16-10-2014 07:00 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The Bible mentions insects with four legs (Leviticus 11:20-23)

They'll tell you the front four legs are used for crawling and the back two are used for hopping. Yes, really.

(16-10-2014 07:00 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. (Timothy 2:12)

If you say this to a fundie, they will likely assume you are one of them! Poe's law, and all.

True doubt (the kind that actually erodes faith) takes introspection and time. These might be good starting points for a conversation, but there's nothing stopping someone from simply writing off what you say. Hell, there are Bible verses telling them to do just that.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
16-10-2014, 09:00 AM

Because we're made in his image?
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
16-10-2014, 09:08 AM

It's a matter of perspective. If you're a dung beetle, poop is a gift from God.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
16-10-2014, 09:08 AM
(16-10-2014 08:58 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  The problem is, as Wazzel said, you won't destroy anyone's faith with one sentence. They have stock answers for all of these things. Never doubt the power of cognitive dissonance.

The original motivation for this thread was thinking about potential conversations with my Christian brother. Yeah each sentence needs explanation, or you they may take time to digest. Or you can think of them as the initial seeds of doubt.

The reason for stating them as a single sentence is that it makes them easier to remember when you need them. They are also effective when initially expressed as a single sentence.

e.g.

"The Bible is infallible"
"So why does it describe bats as birds?"
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post