Destroy a faith in one sentence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2014, 11:26 AM
RE: Destroy a faith in one sentence
(19-10-2014 10:13 AM)natachan Wrote:  
(18-10-2014 06:57 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Your God will watch you put a gun to your head and do nothing. Could you watch your child put a gun to their head and do nothing ?

You are more compassionate, more caring, more loving and more alive than your god will ever be.

This relates to an internal debate I've been having. If you believe in God is he a good parent? He puts us in a dazzling and wonderful universe with more marvels than we could ever imagine, and then gives us minds that will be able to grasp it, understand, marvel at the wonders of the universe, and always want to learn more.

But he also abandons us, alone and scared, into the world. He gives us no direction, no guidance, no aid. No matter how perfect the nursery, if you just dump your child in there it's still abandonment.

I guess I was fortunate. I didn't enter alone but had parents who weren't perfect but nurtured me. I also had the opportunity that some do not have--I was able to read the Bible for a guidebook. "Don't panic." Laughat

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2014, 12:55 PM
(20-10-2014 11:26 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 10:13 AM)natachan Wrote:  This relates to an internal debate I've been having. If you believe in God is he a good parent? He puts us in a dazzling and wonderful universe with more marvels than we could ever imagine, and then gives us minds that will be able to grasp it, understand, marvel at the wonders of the universe, and always want to learn more.

But he also abandons us, alone and scared, into the world. He gives us no direction, no guidance, no aid. No matter how perfect the nursery, if you just dump your child in there it's still abandonment.

I guess I was fortunate. I didn't enter alone but had parents who weren't perfect but nurtured me. I also had the opportunity that some do not have--I was able to read the Bible for a guidebook. "Don't panic." Laughat

Yes. That no one should panic is exactly the message of the Book Of Revelations.

You don't use the bible as a guidebook any more then anyone else does, as it's a piece of morally reprehensible trash. Troll better you over rated, poorly written, character.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
20-10-2014, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2014 07:50 PM by natachan.)
(20-10-2014 11:26 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 10:13 AM)natachan Wrote:  This relates to an internal debate I've been having. If you believe in God is he a good parent? He puts us in a dazzling and wonderful universe with more marvels than we could ever imagine, and then gives us minds that will be able to grasp it, understand, marvel at the wonders of the universe, and always want to learn more.

Wow. You totally missed the point. There it goes, over there.

A good parent does not stand by and let their kid hurt themselves after they get into the knife drawer. A good parent does not throw their child into a den of lions and hope it comes out.

We suffer from disease, famine, war. We have to learn how to till the soil ourselves, how to build our own homes, how to act towards each other. We were given no help and no direction from out heavenly "father" in how to survive in this world. We had to figure it all out on our own, through years of suffering and the needless deaths of billions.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
22-10-2014, 09:18 AM
(20-10-2014 12:55 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 11:26 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I guess I was fortunate. I didn't enter alone but had parents who weren't perfect but nurtured me. I also had the opportunity that some do not have--I was able to read the Bible for a guidebook. "Don't panic." Laughat

Yes. That no one should panic is exactly the message of the Book Of Revelations.

You don't use the bible as a guidebook any more then anyone else does, as it's a piece of morally reprehensible trash. Troll better you over rated, poorly written, character.

Actually, I was thinking of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when I wrote that, but Christians undergoing Roman oppression found Revelation rather comforting and uplifting and encouraging.

The issue is Christians have a Bible and atheists like Doug Adams have a towel. Rolleyes

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
22-10-2014, 09:20 AM
(17-10-2014 01:54 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  You can't use logic without an absolute logic giver. There. Atheism destroyed.

Try again when you know what logic means.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
22-10-2014, 09:21 AM
(20-10-2014 07:27 PM)natachan Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 11:26 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I guess I was fortunate. I didn't enter alone but had parents who weren't perfect but nurtured me. I also had the opportunity that some do not have--I was able to read the Bible for a guidebook. "Don't panic." Laughat

Wow. You totally missed the point. There it goes, over there.

A good parent does not stand by and let their kid hurt themselves after they get into the knife drawer. A good parent does not throw their child into a den of lions and hope it comes out.

We suffer from disease, famine, war. We have to learn how to till the soil ourselves, how to build our own homes, how to act towards each other. We were given no help and no direction from out heavenly "father" in how to survive in this world. We had to figure it all out on our own, through years of suffering and the needless deaths of billions.

Den of lions? Daniel was thrown into one by a king of Babylon and God rescued Daniel. That was kind of an odd choice you made there.

I hear your protest. I do. But when you say "we had no help, no direction from heaven" I think of the Bible, prayer, miraculous interventions, etc.

But why limit this to the special pleadings of a Xian? You do know that most people feel rather differently and that there is a god or gods who do indeed offer direction and help, without limit and to anyone who asks appropriately?

Thanks.

22-10-2014, 09:23 AM
(22-10-2014 09:21 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 07:27 PM)natachan Wrote:  Wow. You totally missed the point. There it goes, over there.

Den of lions? Daniel was thrown into one by a king of Babylon and God rescued Daniel. That was kind of an odd choice you made there.

I hear your protest. I do. But when you say "we had no help, no direction from heaven" I think of the Bible, prayer, miraculous interventions, etc.

But why limit this to the special pleadings of a Xian? You do know that most people feel rather differently and that there is a god or gods who do indeed offer direction and help, without limit and to anyone who asks appropriately?

Thanks.

And yet there is no proof of any of these.
I always find it amusing how much real miracles happened in ancient times and the middle ages but for some reason fell off when the video camera was invented.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
22-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Genesis demonstrably false, no original sin, no saviour, therefore... Christianity, toilet.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
22-10-2014, 02:07 PM
(22-10-2014 09:23 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 09:21 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Den of lions? Daniel was thrown into one by a king of Babylon and God rescued Daniel. That was kind of an odd choice you made there.

Thanks.

And yet there is no proof of any of these.
I always find it amusing how much real miracles happened in ancient times and the middle ages but for some reason fell off when the video camera was invented.

Have you heard of the 1969 Mets? They were on camera... but seriously, folks, you are making generalizations. Why not just say instead, "I haven't seen a miracle personally so they must not exist?" That would be more credible.

You do realize you wrote "There is no proof of any of these" - any of the tens of thousands or more of miracles I'm referring to? Really?

22-10-2014, 02:33 PM
(22-10-2014 02:07 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 09:23 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  And yet there is no proof of any of these.

Have you heard of the 1969 Mets? They were on camera... but seriously, folks, you are making generalizations. Why not just say instead, "I haven't seen a miracle personally so they must not exist?" That would be more credible.

You do realize you wrote "There is no proof of any of these" - any of the tens of thousands or more of miracles I'm referring to? Really?

No, there has never been a miracle that was not easier to explain with mundane means rather than a suspension of the fundamental laws of physics. Anything in the bible is easy to dismiss because of the compounding error throughout all the texts. The 1966 Mets was not a real miracle it was just unlikely, but then low probability events happen all the time.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense