Destroy a faith in one sentence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2014, 02:39 PM
RE: Destroy a faith in one sentence
(22-10-2014 02:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 02:07 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Have you heard of the 1969 Mets? They were on camera... but seriously, folks, you are making generalizations. Why not just say instead, "I haven't seen a miracle personally so they must not exist?" That would be more credible.

You do realize you wrote "There is no proof of any of these" - any of the tens of thousands or more of miracles I'm referring to? Really?

No, there has never been a miracle that was not easier to explain with mundane means rather than a suspension of the fundamental laws of physics. Anything in the bible is easy to dismiss because of the compounding error throughout all the texts. The 1966 Mets was not a real miracle it was just unlikely, but then low probability events happen all the time.

Gee, Rev, if I didn't know better I'd almost think you were suggesting that we shouldn't assume the existence of phenomena for which there have never been consistent and reliable evidence.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2014, 02:50 PM
(22-10-2014 02:07 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You do realize you wrote "There is no proof of any of these" - any of the tens of thousands or more of miracles I'm referring to? Really?

Yeah, really.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
22-10-2014, 03:02 PM
(22-10-2014 02:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 02:07 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Have you heard of the 1969 Mets? They were on camera... but seriously, folks, you are making generalizations. Why not just say instead, "I haven't seen a miracle personally so they must not exist?" That would be more credible.

You do realize you wrote "There is no proof of any of these" - any of the tens of thousands or more of miracles I'm referring to? Really?

No, there has never been a miracle that was not easier to explain with mundane means rather than a suspension of the fundamental laws of physics. Anything in the bible is easy to dismiss because of the compounding error throughout all the texts. The 1966 Mets was not a real miracle it was just unlikely, but then low probability events happen all the time.

Not to nitpick or anything, but the 1966 Mets would have been a true miracle. They were terrible (66-95, 9th place in a 10-team league). It was the 1969 Mets who won the World Series.
28-10-2014, 12:17 PM
(22-10-2014 02:39 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 02:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No, there has never been a miracle that was not easier to explain with mundane means rather than a suspension of the fundamental laws of physics. Anything in the bible is easy to dismiss because of the compounding error throughout all the texts. The 1966 Mets was not a real miracle it was just unlikely, but then low probability events happen all the time.

Gee, Rev, if I didn't know better I'd almost think you were suggesting that we shouldn't assume the existence of phenomena for which there have never been consistent and reliable evidence.

Then would it be reasonable to accept the constant testimony of 5 billion people who pray to God, get answers from God, etc.?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-10-2014, 12:22 PM
(28-10-2014 12:17 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Then would it be reasonable to accept the constant testimony of 5 billion people who pray to God, get answers from God, etc.?

Let me get this straight: you're accepting "evidence" for the existence of Allah given by Muslims to support YHWH? That's a new one. "Muslims believe in Allah, therefore Christianity is right!"

Note: the answer to your question was provided right in cjlr's post (that you quoted!). These "answers" are not verifiable, let alone reliable or repeatable.
28-10-2014, 02:25 PM
(28-10-2014 12:22 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 12:17 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Then would it be reasonable to accept the constant testimony of 5 billion people who pray to God, get answers from God, etc.?

Let me get this straight: you're accepting "evidence" for the existence of Allah given by Muslims to support YHWH? That's a new one. "Muslims believe in Allah, therefore Christianity is right!"

Note: the answer to your question was provided right in cjlr's post (that you quoted!). These "answers" are not verifiable, let alone reliable or repeatable.

No. I'm talking about it not being "an appeal to popularity" or "majority fallacy" to say the truth--most people who've ever lived believe in (at least one) god. Further, if you tell me it's a "god gene" you're saying you are fighting your genetics, or are abnormally developed. Blush

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-10-2014, 02:27 PM
David Hume said it best (paraphrased of course): What is more likely, that the whole natural order of the universe is suspended, or that a jewish mynx should tell a lie?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
28-10-2014, 03:03 PM
(22-10-2014 02:07 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 09:23 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  And yet there is no proof of any of these.
I always find it amusing how much real miracles happened in ancient times and the middle ages but for some reason fell off when the video camera was invented.

Have you heard of the 1969 Mets? They were on camera... but seriously, folks, you are making generalizations. Why not just say instead, "I haven't seen a miracle personally so they must not exist?" That would be more credible.

I'm going to the Mets comment was a bad joke.
And no what I'm saying is more like "Every supposed miracle that has ever been claimed has either not been proven or been debunked."

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
28-10-2014, 08:37 PM
(28-10-2014 02:25 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  No. I'm talking about it not being "an appeal to popularity" or "majority fallacy" to say the truth--most people who've ever lived believe in (at least one) god. Further, if you tell me it's a "god gene" you're saying you are fighting your genetics, or are abnormally developed. Blush

I wasn't talking about an appeal to popularity, either. You cited five billion believers. Christianity doesn't even have three. You're including Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, and Scientologists in your lump of evidence for theism. The problem is, over half of the are "evidence" of different gods.

Lumped together, they're just evidence that people are willing to believe in nonfalsifiable things. No one of those groups comprises close to 50% of the group. Therefore, each group believes the majority of the others are wrong. What is this even proving other than "people are credulous"?
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
28-10-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm still waiting for that miracle in which starving children don't starve to death or that miracle that prevents anyone from being raped or tortured.

How about that miracle that changes the predator & prey way of existing.
Killing in order to survive sounds very blood thirsty.

So while you may think a child being born or Jesus on some toast is a miracle. I can assure that it is not.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results