Detaining someone for having done something somewhere else that isn`t a crime????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Detaining someone for having done something somewhere else that isn`t a crime????
I just read in my weekly journal that a German citizen returning from Syria, where he had fought for a radical islamist group against the Assad regime and possibly others, was arested by German authorities and has been held in custody ever since.

Now I believe that in a Republic every legal matter should always be treated with the same amount of fairness that is guaranteed by the constitution. Things like the Guantanamo torture scandals disgust me utterly and I think that when fighting undemocratic monsters, it is essential to never forget ones democratic and legal principles of fairness.

Now with that in mind, on what grounds can people who fought for jihadists on foreign soil be held in custody at home???
Yes these people are potentialy very harmfull for the country, but I dont see any legal authority to keep them in prison. As far as I know only Switzerland, has it as a punishable offense to serve in foreign or non-Swiss forces, due to it`s very strickt neutrality.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 06:42 PM
RE: Detaining someone for having done something somewhere else that isn`t a crime????
Supporting terrorists.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
07-01-2014, 06:44 PM
RE: Detaining someone for having done something somewhere else that isn`t a crime????
It's probably illegal to be a terrorist, even while on vacation.

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
[+] 2 users Like LostandInsecure's post
07-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Yeah but technicaly speaking, the only government that calls the resistance to the Assad government terrorist, is the Assad government and the Russian government.

And not all islamist organisations affiliate with Al Quaida.

Actualy ever since being affiliated with them means death from above by a drone, the brand name al quaida has become unattractive.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
07-01-2014, 07:07 PM
I don't know how your government is compared to mine, but if your hanging out with Islamist activists I think my country would assume you're a terrorist first and then ask questions later.

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
07-01-2014, 07:10 PM
(07-01-2014 07:07 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I don't know how your government is compared to mine, but if your hanging out with Islamist activists I think my country would assume you're a terrorist first and then ask questions later.

Well, my country has a sad tradition of using a police force for dubious and unlawfull reasons, be it Gestapo or Stasi. As a result of which the legal system is under strickt public surveilance to act in accordance with the law and constitution.

[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
07-01-2014, 07:11 PM
(07-01-2014 06:44 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  It's probably illegal to be a terrorist, even while on vacation.

[Image: 9x3oft0.jpg]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
07-01-2014, 07:19 PM
I should probably also mention that I read in the same paper that jihadists in Syria had publicly executed activists advocating a secular republic.

07-01-2014, 07:26 PM
You can certainly serve time in your country for crimes committed elsewhere , but the question is for what crimes he has been accused of, and by whom.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
07-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Anybody who contributes to the global economy is technically supporting at least some "terrorists" somewhere.