Poll: What do you ascribe to?
Determinism
Free Will
Compatibalism
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Determinators or Free Willies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Determinators or Free Willies?
So...what are most of the members here, Determinist or Free Will advocates?
or Compatibalist?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 08:34 AM
RE: Determinators or Free Willies?
Determinist for me. That's why I could never be Christian, one of the fundamental axiom, free will, is a very foreign thought to me. They usually claim it comes with a soul, and I say I reject souls too, and then we both realize the gaps are too large to be bridged, and we both leave. Even my mother is unsettled with the idea of determinism, and she is extremely open minded.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2010, 08:59 AM
(11-09-2010 08:34 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Determinist for me. That's why I could never be Christian, one of the fundamental axiom, free will, is a very foreign thought to me. They usually claim it comes with a soul, and I say I reject souls too, and then we both realize the gaps are too large to be bridged, and we both leave. Even my mother is unsettled with the idea of determinism, and she is extremely open minded.

I have to admit, I sometimes have trouble grasping many of the concepts of determinism (e.g. Hard/soft determinism, etc). But the philosophical debates on the subject intrigue me
13-09-2010, 03:19 AM

As a scientist, my perspective is strongly colored by a knowledge of nonlinear dynamics. The monotheist notion of 'free will' given by the deity is logically incompatible with that deity's omniscience and omnipotence. However, all natural systems of which I'm knowledgeable are inherently nonlinear, which offers the possibility of deterministic unpredicability. We are nonlinear creatures, who generally don't understand ourselves all that well, so we may not know the real reasons for our actions. Thus, I have to vote determinism, but with the proviso that our own sense of control over our actions may be something of an illusion.
Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2010, 10:58 AM
What 2buckchuck said.

A better word than "deterministic", in this case, would probably be "stochastic".

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
16-09-2010, 09:51 PM
(13-09-2010 03:19 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  However, all natural systems of which I'm knowledgeable are inherently nonlinear

Heart TIME PARADOX Heart

Seriously though, I voted Determinatorthingy :3

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
19-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Free Willy!

Not really, after searching wikipedia what does determinism is, I vote for that.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
20-10-2010, 03:05 AM

Determinators because it is a source of information for deeper understanding of religious subjects.
Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2010, 03:36 PM
its accualy pretty funny that people chose determinism over free will for what ive heard, determenism is the opposite of what ive expected^^, since determinism is a religious view of our world a "devine plan" it has already been chosen for us, a religious group who are famous for this is the muslims the even have a saying for it and it goes "insch allah" witch mean: yes if god wants it. to believe we dont have a free will then you must believe that someone is in control of you and that is normally refered to as god, god has already planned everything and everything is gods will we cant control stuff.
that was a even more common before Chaology (the chaos theori) was aknowledged. i got a schoolassignment on this subject i was asked to write a argumentative text betwen determinism and free will, the only thing i came across to support free will was a philosophic screwed up text about the way we interpret things around us and thrust me it was realy confusing, my also told me if u could invent a machine that would alow you to see into the future and it showed you that you drank a bottle of milk, when that moment arrives you have the choice not to. this subject is one of my favorites Smile ^^ and sorry for my poor english.
and i maybe way out of line here but it seemed right to me.
20-10-2010, 04:05 PM
(20-10-2010 03:36 PM)Gucar Wrote:  determinism is a religious view of our world a "devine plan" it has already been chosen for us

No, it isn't. At least, not in this context. "Determinism" is the philosophical position that free will does not exist. That what happens in the universe is dictated by cause and effect rather than choice.

Quote:to believe we dont have a free will then you must believe that someone is in control of you

No, you don't. This is a false dichotomy. There is very much a third option: no one is in control of you.

And don't worry about your English. It's a little off, but it's understandable. Don't sweat it.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett