Determinism and your thoughts on it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Determinism and your thoughts on it
Although I'm still somewhat iffy on terminology, I believe I'm a determinist. I believe that the causes that happen when are they happen can only produce one effect, creating a chain. I imagine this on a molecular level, by the way. I see free will as an illusion, and every thought that crosses our minds was determined to cross our minds. I exclude god from this picture, of course.

I don't want to babble to long on my beliefs, but I have heard several people comment that this logic is flawed. I don't want to have flawed logic. Is this idea dead? Links would be great.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2010, 08:16 PM
RE: Determinism and your thoughts on it
(02-03-2010 08:11 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Although I'm still somewhat iffy on terminology, I believe I'm a determinist. I believe that the causes that happen when are they happen can only produce one effect, creating a chain. I imagine this on a molecular level, by the way. I see free will as an illusion, and every thought that crosses our minds was determined to cross our minds. I exclude god from this picture, of course.

I don't want to babble to long on my beliefs, but I have heard several people comment that this logic is flawed. I don't want to have flawed logic. Is this idea dead? Links would be great.

I agree with this, but I would warn you that we may soon have to change our positions. Quantum mechanics is still largely open for debate, but one school of thought is that the events at the molecular level occur according to statistics rather than determinism. It hasn't been proven yet, but it could be very soon.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2010, 08:18 PM
(02-03-2010 08:16 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(02-03-2010 08:11 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Although I'm still somewhat iffy on terminology, I believe I'm a determinist. I believe that the causes that happen when are they happen can only produce one effect, creating a chain. I imagine this on a molecular level, by the way. I see free will as an illusion, and every thought that crosses our minds was determined to cross our minds. I exclude god from this picture, of course.

I agree with this, but I would warn you that we may soon have to change our positions. Quantum mechanics is still largely open for debate, but one school of thought is that the events at the molecular level occur according to statistics rather than determinism. It hasn't been proven yet, but it could be very soon.

Quantum mechanics makes my brain implode. But it's interesting none the less.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
02-03-2010, 08:20 PM
(02-03-2010 08:18 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(02-03-2010 08:16 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

Quantum mechanics makes my brain implode. But it's interesting none the less.

Agreed. Big Grin

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user