Deus vult?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Deus vult?
(wasn't sure whether to put this in this section here or the conspiracy section... )

So it isn't a secret that I am playing video games a lot. Therefore I am on steam, origin, curse, etc. All the nice things.

Occasionally I play a game called The Secret World. That game is full of puzzles and riddles and so on. Just my thing. A lot of thinking (unless you look up guides which I generally don't because I like a challenge).
In this game, when you start, you choose a faction. One of the factions is the Templars and that is the faction I play.
Now on steam itself, I am a noob. I don't really know how to use that platform apart from buying more games and chat with people.

Today I log on to Steam and see a group invitation (much like for Facebook for example). And I see the group is called Templars so I figure, hey this guy, who invited me, must be playing The Secret World too. How fun right? Let's go ahead and play it together.
So I look around that group and click a bit (assuming I will find stuff about the game) and find that it is just full of anti muslim hate speech and and nutjobs posting "Deus Vult".
I found out that "Deus vult" is latin for "God's wish" so I am wtf-ing like crazy at that point.
I wasn't aware that I know religious nutjobs.
Well the guy that invited me is from a gaming community that I have joined a few months ago. In that community we have a very important rule. Since we are all about gaming and having fun (and also 3000 people big) we do not ever talk politics or religion, to avoid drama and hurt feelings. I agree very much with this rule to be honest because it creates a space where all that matters is gaming, which is exactly what I joined for. So guess how surprised I was.

Now I don't usually assume things so I went ahead and asked the guy. You know maybe he has been hacked or whatever.
Here is the log of the - very short - conversation:
Quote:Me: what is this templar group about?
Him: Kebab removal
Him: Deus vult.
Me: o.O
Me: It has all kind of anti muslim hate speech in
Him: It is
Him: War is coming
Me: Not gonna be part of this
Him: Your choice
Him: Remember these word's Deus vult.

Honestly wtf? I don't think I am gonna talk to that guy again o.O My brain cannot computer what just happened lol
I actually went to my chain of command in the community who just as surprised as I am. I wanted to ask if this person is joking, like in a weird or funny mood or drunk or drugged. You know there are situations when you just aren't yourself and I can understand that and let it go. I don't know everybody in there - as I mentioned 3k members - so I assumed he is just a weird guy who... dunno... maybe has questionable humour.... But atm it looks like he is dead serious.
(btw I think Doner Kebab is very enjoyable when prepared well)

For now I am gonna wait and see what happens I guess.

K had to vent this

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2017, 02:20 PM
RE: Deus vult?
Personally, I am
anti-hijab
anti-burka
anti-jihad
anti-child brides
anti-marrying your rapist
anti-charged with a crime for reporting you've been raped, if you are married
anti-throwing acid is women's faces
anti-pedofiles
anti-treating women like cattle & slaves
anti-honor killing
anti-suicide bombing
anti-killing atheists
anti-killing homosexuals
anti-killing anyone who isn't Muslim
anti-killing anyone who leaves Islam

Did the anti-Muslim group talk about any of this ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
14-01-2017, 02:24 PM
No the group was about "kill all muslims"
Literally just that and nothing else.

- Wotsefack?! -
14-01-2017, 02:37 PM
@Leela

Stupidity isn't owned by any particular group. It's one of the most abundant ressources in the world. There is so much of it that all groups arbor elements who display a extremely high concentration of stupid.

The boogeyman of the jihadists is the Western Crusader and colonialist. Just like for many westerners, jihadists have become boogeymans. Both group do exist and are unconfortably to common. In my opinion, you should focus on gamming with those individuals. There is no abyss to deep for the human stupidity and callousness to not sink into.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
14-01-2017, 02:39 PM
@epronovost
Thanks for the answer. I don't think I can even talk to a person that spews hate speech like that. I am losing all respect for such individuals.

- Wotsefack?! -
14-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Did you feel like you needed a shower after you left there?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-01-2017, 03:38 PM
(14-01-2017 02:39 PM)Leela Wrote:  @epronovost
Thanks for the answer. I don't think I can even talk to a person that spews hate speech like that. I am losing all respect for such individuals.

Some would call you intolerant, meek or incapable of living outside of your little safe space for not engaging with such individuals. As long as you don't blind yourself to their existence and influence; that you are capable to engage with such people should the need arise, I don't see anything wrong with keeping your distance or choosing to compartimentalise this aspect of their personnality and beliefs so that you can keep interracting in a friendly manner with them. You have a life and you have enough problem as it is (even if you actualy a have rather few, a don't know about that) to make it your duty and your honor to debate and try to convince these people to abandon fear and hatred of Muslims. You have the right to seek comfort on a regular basis.

14-01-2017, 05:33 PM
(14-01-2017 02:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  Did you feel like you needed a shower after you left there?

Yes I did, dom! I still want to take a shower Big Grin

Quote:Some would call you intolerant, meek or incapable of living outside of your little safe space for not engaging with such individuals. As long as you don't blind yourself to their existence and influence; that you are capable to engage with such people should the need arise, I don't see anything wrong with keeping your distance or choosing to compartimentalise this aspect of their personnality and beliefs so that you can keep interracting in a friendly manner with them. You have a life and you have enough problem as it is (even if you actualy a have rather few, a don't know about that) to make it your duty and your honor to debate and try to convince these people to abandon fear and hatred of Muslims. You have the right to seek comfort on a regular basis.
I would oppose those people because I think:
1. It is not intolerant to oppose hate speech.
2. It is not meek to keep away from people you dislike.
3. It is not an incapability to live outside one's safe space but more the creation of a sane environment for oneself.

If such a person is my co-worker, yes I need to deal with them on a professional level and that is what I will do. Same if it is a customer or a boss etc. But if such a person pops up in my private life, in my social circle, I am taking the liberty of kicking them out of my life because I don't want toxic people in my life.

As to this being an aspect of ones personality.
There are some things that are not just an aspect of ones personality but defining factors (and those may very well be subjective so this is just my opinion).
Being funny or cute or annoying are aspects of personality in my book.
But being hateful is just as defining for me as being kind or righteous.
So while I may not be removing an annoying person from my social circle (as they might have some other good aspects that level it out) I will remove hateful people (because no amount of funny or helpful will level out the fact that this person, at their core, is hateful).

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
14-01-2017, 07:32 PM
(14-01-2017 05:33 PM)Leela Wrote:  I would oppose those people because I think:
1. It is not intolerant to oppose hate speech.
2. It is not meek to keep away from people you dislike.
3. It is not an incapability to live outside one's safe space but more the creation of a sane environment for oneself.

If such a person is my co-worker, yes I need to deal with them on a professional level and that is what I will do. Same if it is a customer or a boss etc. But if such a person pops up in my private life, in my social circle, I am taking the liberty of kicking them out of my life because I don't want toxic people in my life.

As to this being an aspect of ones personality.
There are some things that are not just an aspect of ones personality but defining factors (and those may very well be subjective so this is just my opinion).
Being funny or cute or annoying are aspects of personality in my book.
But being hateful is just as defining for me as being kind or righteous.
So while I may not be removing an annoying person from my social circle (as they might have some other good aspects that level it out) I will remove hateful people (because no amount of funny or helpful will level out the fact that this person, at their core, is hateful).

I tend to agree with you on all those points. The saying that one must remain open minded, but not to the point where one's brain falls out applies itself in such situation.

[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
14-01-2017, 07:42 PM
(14-01-2017 07:32 PM)epronovost Wrote:  The saying that one must remain open minded, but not to the point where one's brain falls out applies itself in such situation.
I was actually thinking about exactly this saying Big Grin

- Wotsefack?! -