Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2014, 04:35 AM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2014 05:31 AM by IndianAtheist.)
RE: Deuteronomy 25:11-12
(24-01-2014 06:13 PM)Formaldehyde Wrote:  "If two men are fighting and the bitch of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and grabs his ballsack, you shall cut off the bitch's hand. Show the bitch no pity!"
Dark humor at its finest Cool

i'm convinced that Bible authors were just ancient Trolls.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2014, 05:23 AM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2014 05:31 AM by docskeptic.)
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
25-01-2014, 05:26 AM
25-01-2014, 05:37 AM
This is what docskeptic posted (he messed up the quote tags). Sleepy

(25-01-2014 05:23 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Anidominus,
If that is the reason for this law, why is not generalized? What if the man who is fighting reaches out and grabs his opponent's family jewels thereby destroying them? Would his hand deserve to be cut off? Why not make a general law saying "Thou shalt not touch another man's junk"?

Doc

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
25-01-2014, 05:39 AM
Quote:Formaldehyde said:
And while it might seem logical that she'd be grabbing his assailant by the balls, what is the penalty for a man grabbing another man by the balls when engaged in battle? And why is this scenario so specific? Why not just make it punishable to mutilate a man's genitals in any situation?

In your argument, you also forgot Deuteronomy 23:1 "No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the LORD"

I agree - why the specific scenario of two men fighting.
Also what if one of the men were already sterile....and unable to have children.
What if the men didn't want any more children ? eg they are elderly and have 10 kids already ?

...and anidominus - you don't have to be condescending about "self righteous" atheists, I lived as a religious orthodox theist for almost a decade dedicated to scriptures - leaving theism actually made me more humble and less self righteous.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
25-01-2014, 05:44 AM
(24-01-2014 07:29 PM)Formaldehyde Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 07:00 PM)TheBear Wrote:  It's not that complicated. The wife is instructed to grab the assailants balls in order to incapacitate him to some degree.

How effective that is in real-life situations remains in question. Imagine two grown men, kicking and a gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer, and the wife shows up. I can hear her now - "Hold still, damn it" Stop rolling around, and twisting and moving! I got to grab your balls! Big Grin

She's instructed NOT to grab him by the balls.

You wouldn't last very long in a fundamentalist society.

Also...naked fighting ? If clothed the balls are quite hard to get to. Something else is going on............

(just noticed the pun about "the balls being hard too get to" Big Grin )

David Hume

25-01-2014, 05:53 AM
[b]'Dee' I would grab my husband by his metaphorical balls if he were in a fight. I would not address the other guy.

To grab her husband by the balls and drag him away is not the way an O.T woman should address her. She would be showing power over him; therefore, usurping his manhood / masculinity in public and in front of his enemy, therefore, mocking masculinity.

But this so much more; it's actually metaphor.
In a fight: public arena
Male genitalia: masculinity, patriarchy, pride, honor . . .
Wife: property, for fucking, washing, and cooking..[/quote][/b]

I think this interpretation has merit - there is more than meets the eye & balls.

Also agree that there is a metaphysical balls attack going on. Its not like the interpretation given about damaging the mans balls so he cannot have children.

However what would be the punishment for a metaphysical attack on a mans balls ? Eg public humiliation of a Man by a woman knocking his pride, honour & patriarchy ?

David Hume

25-01-2014, 06:03 AM
Why is she grabbing some guys junk anyway?
Her hands should be busy making sandwiches.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
25-01-2014, 07:07 AM
(25-01-2014 05:37 AM)Vosur Wrote:  This is what docskeptic posted (he messed up the quote tags). Sleepy

(25-01-2014 05:23 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Anidominus,
If that is the reason for this law, why is not generalized? What if the man who is fighting reaches out and grabs his opponent's family jewels thereby destroying them? Would his hand deserve to be cut off? Why not make a general law saying "Thou shalt not touch another man's junk"?

Doc

Damn cell phone posts!
25-01-2014, 08:57 AM
If you're reading Deuteronomy hoping to get it to make sense and not be morally reprehensible, you're going to have a bad time.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post