Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2014, 06:13 PM
RE: Deuteronomy 25:11-12
(25-01-2014 05:50 PM)Formaldehyde Wrote:  
(25-01-2014 05:39 PM)anidominus Wrote:  It depends on the custom already in place. Like I told the other person. God may have only modified a custom that was already in place thus no need to mention the rest of the custom. He did that often.

This seems to be something of a theme for our omniscient creator, doing things and then changing his mind. I wonder if deities suffer from Alzheimer's disease?

I have no idea where that reply came from, but God does not change his mind. You may read scripture and think he does but people generally don't know how to think from an "All Knowing" perspective.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2014, 06:54 PM
(25-01-2014 05:48 PM)Formaldehyde Wrote:  So the omniscient creator made the penalty for grabbing a man by the balls death, and couldn't foresee that this was going to be a problem, so then at some point decided to change it?

No one ever said he was nice.

Well, actually, a lot of people say that, but no one's said it in this thread yet. Lets just assume he's either cruel or perhaps going through a rather nasty bout of depraved indifference, and isn't particularly vested in the well being of the ancient Hebrews.
25-01-2014, 07:52 PM
(25-01-2014 06:13 PM)anidominus Wrote:  I have no idea where that reply came from, but God does not change his mind. You may read scripture and think he does but people generally don't know how to think from an "All Knowing" perspective.
Do you believe that you are qualified to comment on the perspective of an omniscient deity? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
26-01-2014, 04:27 AM
(25-01-2014 07:52 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(25-01-2014 06:13 PM)anidominus Wrote:  I have no idea where that reply came from, but God does not change his mind. You may read scripture and think he does but people generally don't know how to think from an "All Knowing" perspective.
Do you believe that you are qualified to comment on the perspective of an omniscient deity? Consider

Maybe he downloaded the "Holy Ghost Revelation TM App ?
Works along side Alla's "Holy Ghost Translator TM App !!!

2 for the price of 1

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
26-01-2014, 12:19 PM
(25-01-2014 07:52 PM)Vosur Wrote:  

God has stated very clearly that he does not change.
26-01-2014, 12:20 PM
(26-01-2014 04:27 AM)Baruch Wrote:  
(25-01-2014 07:52 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Do you believe that you are qualified to comment on the perspective of an omniscient deity? Consider

Maybe he downloaded the "Holy Ghost Revelation TM App ?
Works along side Alla's "Holy Ghost Translator TM App !!!

2 for the price of 1

LOL, good one.
26-01-2014, 01:07 PM
(25-01-2014 05:39 PM)anidominus Wrote:  
(25-01-2014 05:37 AM)Vosur Wrote:  This is what docskeptic posted (he messed up the quote tags). Sleepy

It depends on the custom already in place. Like I told the other person. God may have only modified a custom that was already in place thus no need to mention the rest of the custom. He did that often.

So God's eternal Holy Word is the mere tweaking of the customs of a nomadic tribe of misogynistic barbarians?

Why, oh why did God not choose to superimpose his word on the customs of the Romans or the Greeks? Think of the possibilities! Saturnalias, bacchanalias and orgies spring to mind. We'd have to turn people away from churches!

Doc
26-01-2014, 04:04 PM
(26-01-2014 01:07 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(25-01-2014 05:39 PM)anidominus Wrote:  It depends on the custom already in place. Like I told the other person. God may have only modified a custom that was already in place thus no need to mention the rest of the custom. He did that often.

So God's eternal Holy Word is the mere tweaking of the customs of a nomadic tribe of misogynistic barbarians?

Why, oh why did God not choose to superimpose his word on the customs of the Romans or the Greeks? Think of the possibilities! Saturnalias, bacchanalias and orgies spring to mind. We'd have to turn people away from churches!

Doc

Talking to you people is like swimming through molasses but I'm not surprised.

God gave Israel laws regrading right and wrong. - This was to make clear his Holy Standard.

God gave the Israelite the proper procedures for cleaning themselves and avoiding certain fungus's and organisms present in the Middle East. - This was about avoiding unnecessary diseases and spreading them.

God modified some Jewish customs to make them fairer or reenforce customs already in place. - Why in the hell would God change something that in his opinion didn't need changing to fulfill his purpose?

There are other things but I know I'd be wasting my time so this short list will do.
26-01-2014, 06:21 PM
(26-01-2014 04:04 PM)anidominus Wrote:  Talking to you people is like swimming through molasses but I'm not

God gave the Israelite the proper procedures for cleaning themselves and avoiding certain fungus's and organisms present in the Middle East. - This was about avoiding unnecessary diseases and spreading them.

God modified some Jewish customs to make them fairer or reenforce customs already in place. - Why in the hell would God change something that in his opinion didn't need changing to fulfill his purpose?

There are other things but I know I'd be wasting my time so this short list will do.

Anidominus,
Please quote chapter and verse showing where God instructed the Israelites to wash before a meal and after going to the bathroom.

Also, what were the Israelites supposed to wash their hands with? There is no recorded use of soap in Israel in ancient times, whereas the Babylonians, Romans and even the Gauls knew how to make soap. Next time you use the bathroom, try washing with just water. If God was so concerned with human hygiene, why not make it explicit and provide instructions for making soap, toilet paper and toilets?

If God did provide such a law, why did Jesus and his disciples not wash their hands in Luke 11 and Matt. 15 respectively? Jesus came to fulfill the law, not break it. How did Jesus prevent himself from getting parasites?

Please name one "fungus" that fits the description given in Leviticus.

If God modified Jewish customs to fit his needs, where did they get the customs from in the first place? God himself? The devil? Their own invention?

Remember, chapter and verse, please!

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
26-01-2014, 06:35 PM
They washed themselves by killing goats and anointing themselves with the blood. This is excellent advice, as everyone knows goat blood scares away disease.

This wasn't wisdom, or divine knowledge, this was a mythology used to justify a misogynistic and superstitious culture.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post