Devolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2016, 05:28 AM
RE: NOT DEFENDING! SAFETY YOUR WEAPONS!
(29-08-2016 03:31 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote: I see about twenty whining posts from conservatives on my Facebook feed to roughly one from liberals

LOL Dammit RS I'm trying to leave this political hellhole of a thread! Evil_monster

I see the same thing, ratio-wise...but inverted. I think I see the problem though...you said deep south. Texas isn't deep south...those motherfuckers are weird.Gasp

You ever had a mint julep? Sounds like a tasty, refreshing southern adult beverage, eh? NASTIEST tasting drink on earth. I'd rather drink fermented mare's milk. Blech.
Most northerners can't distinguish south from deep south, but they are worlds apart. I'm not particularly a fan of the more...fundamentalist?...deep south.

Texans (not counting transplants) don't whine. It goes against everything Texas. Hell, we don't allow our kids to whine. We get pissed when calves bawl. Dodgy

The notion of "political correctness" is a liberal one. To me...and to everyone in the south, that is from the south...political correctness is the epitome of whining. The notion that a grown man can get his feelings hurt by another person's comment is...just beyond laughable! Good grief, why would I care enough about your opinion of me to allow you the power to hurt my feelings? To me it's just so, I don't know...pussified? I don't mean that as a macho thing, we are just raised in a culture where things like that aren't real. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me...that is a truism here, among old school Texas men at least, and really...the women just pretend that they get butt hurt for the sake of good gossip. They're actually pretty damned tough.
I honestly cannot imagine anyone outside of my immediate family hurting my feelings. Pissing me off? Sure. But hurting my feelings? Laughat I have to care about the offender's opinion before that is possible, I believe. As soon as they start treating me in an offensive manner, I lose any interest in their opinion.

I'm sure we're as hard to relate to as we find liberals to be. I much prefer our approach to life, however. I can't relate to this perpetual state of butt hurtery.... Wink Thumbsup

I was born in Dallas and have hundreds of relatives in Texas. Many are right-leaning. Texans whine plenty. Also, they are no more "tough" than people in any other state--or country, for that matter, no matter how ego-boosting it is to think of themselves that way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
29-08-2016, 05:43 AM
Words have power, especially when they become cultural memes, what used to be called a zeitgeist.

The notion of "political correctness" is made-up bullshit by conservatives, as a way to justify their various simple-minded bigotries and "well that's just how we do things" attitude, even when it's pointed out to them that some of the things they say and do have actual consequences besides hurt feelings. But to reduce it down to the phrase "butt-hurt" (another version of this term) is the exact sort of oversimplification of which I was speaking, before.

"Man, did you see the way them n***ers are dressed?"

"Dude, don't say that!"

"Aw man, you're one of those 'politically correct' assholes, aren't ya?"

"Yes, I'm the asshole for caring about the use of a word that was systematically used to deny the basic humanity of an entire group of people based on their melanin levels."

The conservative is baffled because he, with all the entitlement his little WASP-y brain can muster, thinks it's "just a word" and that the liberal is being the asshole for stifling his right to say whatever the hell he wants to say. The liberal thinks he's an asshole for casually dismissing the reality of what that word means when it comes out of the mouth of a white person, especially given the reality of the number of active hate groups still operating in the United States. As I said, you should check out that book about the psychological basis behind the two mindsets... both are trying to serve ideals of morality that are vastly different, and that's why each group sees itself as moral and the other group as immoral.

On the other topic: though I was born there, we left Texas about a week after my fourth birthday, so I have almost no memory of it; we relocated to southeast Georgia, on one of the barrier islands just off the coast, called Saint Simon's Island. Lovely place. When I was eleven, my dad's job started transferring him every couple of years to new chemical plants (he's an engineer) to oversee startup operations and safety, so we went briefly to West Virginia, southeast Texas, and finally to Louisiana, where I stayed until I departed for Colorado Springs. After falling ill at USAFA, I left to go to civilian college in Louisiana, then took a good job in the Midwest-- much to my regret, as we all know.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
29-08-2016, 07:06 AM
(29-08-2016 05:43 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Words have power, especially when they become cultural memes, what used to be called a zeitgeist.

The notion of "political correctness" is made-up bullshit by conservatives, as a way to justify their various simple-minded bigotries and "well that's just how we do things" attitude, even when it's pointed out to them that some of the things they say and do have actual consequences besides hurt feelings. But to reduce it down to the phrase "butt-hurt" (another version of this term) is the exact sort of oversimplification of which I was speaking, before.

"Man, did you see the way them n***ers are dressed?"

"Dude, don't say that!"

"Aw man, you're one of those 'politically correct' assholes, aren't ya?"

"Yes, I'm the asshole for caring about the use of a word that was systematically used to deny the basic humanity of an entire group of people based on their melanin levels."

The conservative is baffled because he, with all the entitlement his little WASP-y brain can muster, thinks it's "just a word" and that the liberal is being the asshole for stifling his right to say whatever the hell he wants to say. The liberal thinks he's an asshole for casually dismissing the reality of what that word means when it comes out of the mouth of a white person, especially given the reality of the number of active hate groups still operating in the United States. As I said, you should check out that book about the psychological basis behind the two mindsets... both are trying to serve ideals of morality that are vastly different, and that's why each group sees itself as moral and the other group as immoral.

On the other topic: though I was born there, we left Texas about a week after my fourth birthday, so I have almost no memory of it; we relocated to southeast Georgia, on one of the barrier islands just off the coast, called Saint Simon's Island. Lovely place. When I was eleven, my dad's job started transferring him every couple of years to new chemical plants (he's an engineer) to oversee startup operations and safety, so we went briefly to West Virginia, southeast Texas, and finally to Louisiana, where I stayed until I departed for Colorado Springs. After falling ill at USAFA, I left to go to civilian college in Louisiana, then took a good job in the Midwest-- much to my regret, as we all know.

Indeed of course words have power if words were "just words" then how come poems and songs and epic speeches can move people to joy anger and tears if words were "just words" this should not be the sounds should have no effect the fact they do proves that words are meaningful and we should be careful about how we use them

Lastly are they screwing with us conservatives are the biggest PC cry babies there are if you so much as mention something against Christianity or whatever conservative celebratory they worship in a negative light they scream to the high heavens there unlimited speech only when it's not one of there sacred cows

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post
29-08-2016, 07:15 AM
(29-08-2016 05:28 AM)julep Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 03:31 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  LOL Dammit RS I'm trying to leave this political hellhole of a thread! Evil_monster

I see the same thing, ratio-wise...but inverted. I think I see the problem though...you said deep south. Texas isn't deep south...those motherfuckers are weird.Gasp

You ever had a mint julep? Sounds like a tasty, refreshing southern adult beverage, eh? NASTIEST tasting drink on earth. I'd rather drink fermented mare's milk. Blech.
Most northerners can't distinguish south from deep south, but they are worlds apart. I'm not particularly a fan of the more...fundamentalist?...deep south.

Texans (not counting transplants) don't whine. It goes against everything Texas. Hell, we don't allow our kids to whine. We get pissed when calves bawl. Dodgy

The notion of "political correctness" is a liberal one. To me...and to everyone in the south, that is from the south...political correctness is the epitome of whining. The notion that a grown man can get his feelings hurt by another person's comment is...just beyond laughable! Good grief, why would I care enough about your opinion of me to allow you the power to hurt my feelings? To me it's just so, I don't know...pussified? I don't mean that as a macho thing, we are just raised in a culture where things like that aren't real. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me...that is a truism here, among old school Texas men at least, and really...the women just pretend that they get butt hurt for the sake of good gossip. They're actually pretty damned tough.
I honestly cannot imagine anyone outside of my immediate family hurting my feelings. Pissing me off? Sure. But hurting my feelings? Laughat I have to care about the offender's opinion before that is possible, I believe. As soon as they start treating me in an offensive manner, I lose any interest in their opinion.

I'm sure we're as hard to relate to as we find liberals to be. I much prefer our approach to life, however. I can't relate to this perpetual state of butt hurtery.... Wink Thumbsup

I was born in Dallas and have hundreds of relatives in Texas. Many are right-leaning. Texans whine plenty. Also, they are no more "tough" than people in any other state--or country, for that matter, no matter how ego-boosting it is to think of themselves that way.

I moved to Texas about a year ago and god damn these fuckers are the whiniest people. They will bitch whine and moan about everything. Of course it is unsurprising that TDO believes his own narrative since he discounts all outside sources and refuses to do even minimal legwork to verify things, sounds a lot like Ken Ham in that regard.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-08-2016, 07:39 AM
I'm still scratching my head as to what the point of this thread is. The document quoted in the OP is clearly pro-Trump/anti-Clinton propaganda. But then come all the disclaimers about how we don't really know anything about either candidate. I agree with that, but then what's the point of posting something that is clearly an unverifiable hatchet job against one candidate?

Aside from that, the hatchet job doesn't even make sense. It's a list of things that Trump hasn't done, implying that Clinton has. But a good portion of the things on that list, if they were done at all, were not and could not have been done by Clinton, because they are things that could only be done by a sitting President. They were, in fact, done by either George W. Bush or Barack Obama -- neither of whom is running for President! So what's the point of comparing them to Trump?

Another point that has been made is that candidates will present themselves in the best possible light during a campaign. No big deal -- everybody does this, and it's expected. But if Trump is being portrayed "in the best possible light" in this campaign, the implication is that the way he really is is even worse than the public persona -- and the public persona is scary and disgusting! Either his whole campaign strategy is really stupid, or the "real Trump" is even scarier than the public Trump. either way, it doesn't make me want to vote for him -- and neither does the document in the OP. I really don't care what he hasn't done. If you want me to vote for him, tell me some positive things about him (if you can find any) -- what does he plan to do if elected, and why are those things good things?
[+] 6 users Like Grasshopper's post
29-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Being portrayed in the best possible light is only half the strategy. The other is recognizing that most voters, on both sides of the political spectrum, are idiots and attempting to dumb yourself down enough to fit their irrational expectations.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
29-08-2016, 09:13 AM
It's "safe" your weapons, not "safety". "Move your selector to the 'safe' position."

For you Texans: "Move your selector to the 'no pew pew!' position."

Smartass
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
29-08-2016, 11:19 AM
(29-08-2016 01:45 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Regardless...you guys feel free to depend on whatever data source makes you comfortable, obviously. But you can justify it all you like, you can call it a "ridiculously high standard", whatever blows your skirts up, ladies...Big Grin Nothing changes the fact that the majority of the information the majority of the people in this country use to decide who to vote for is, at best, unverified, and at worst, fictional.

[Emphasis added -- Thump]

If you're going to dismiss my point with this sort of blanket claim, I'd like to see some hard numbers with support. Anecdotes aren't evidence, remember.

If you don't have them, I'll simply go with Hitchens's Razor and move on.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
29-08-2016, 11:41 AM
@The Dark One: There's an epistemological thought experiment which convincingly demonstrates that we can never be completely certain about the validity of any knowledge. I'm a pragmatist like Thump so I'm not very bothered by this fact. I believe our degree of certainty only matters up to the point where it still makes a practical difference. To put it in the context of this thread, I think people will be voting for their candidate come November regardless of whether they are only 95% or 99% percent sure that the reasons behind their choice are valid. I agree that the US mainstream media, even respected outlets like the NYT, didn't provide the public with this fair and honest journalism this election cycle, but it's ultimately up to the individuals to inform themselves properly. Anyone with Internet access has almost the entirety of human knowledge at their fingertips so there is no excuse for being uninformed.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
29-08-2016, 11:43 AM
How can anyone look at Drumpf's business record....and the thousands of lawsuits filed against him for shady business practices... and dare to call Clinton "crooked?"

Do you believe everything your own side says with no fact checking whatsoever?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post